ADVERTISEMENT

Beating a Dead Horse on Scheduling..

SotaHawk87

HR Legend
Jan 3, 2015
Saw this on Twitter.. this would include today's loss..

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but this was interesting.. if Hawks flipped 3 wins versus Chicago State, Southern, and Southern Utah with three wins versus Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, and Eastern Illinois their RPI would be 16 spots better and SOS would be 31 spots better!

19-12 would have them at an RPI of 45 and SOS of 47.. dancing! Contrast is 22-9 has them iffy this year! Unheard of for P5

Reactions: And1Hawk
Who are the wins against at 19-12 or the 22-9?

If Iowa can upset one of the Big Ten top dogs at home or on the road, it will help our RPI more than todays game. I get what Fran is doing by scheduling weak, but you then put a lot of pressure on your conference games.

If iowa beats Purdue, MSU, or Minny at home it will help their RPI more than todays game. If they can sneak out a Win on the road, it will help even more.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
Looked to me like he just took the rpi wizard results and used those..

yeah I get what he is doing with that wizard tool. But you have to account for Iowa will lose to someone they shouldn't and they will most likely beat 1-2 teams they have no right beating. If Iowa wins all the games their supposed to and not upset anyone, then yeah I could see 22-9 and sweating it out on selection Sunday. If they upset a MSU, PU, or Minny then they can afford to lose a game vs a ULL or Rutgers and still be fine.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
It would be nice to know a team's RPI 2 years from now to schedule better

I do agree that it's next to impossible to schedule perfectly. It just isn't possible. But the terrible teams Iowa put on the schedule this year have been at the bottom of the barrel for the past 5+ years. The teams that are regularly from 310-350 in the RPI are there year after year.

I understand that 2 of the terrible teams this year were a result of the Cayman Islands tournament. But it doesn't excuse the other 3. And playing Grambling, Chicago State and Alabama State obviously did nothing to prepare Iowa for a team with a pulse like Louisiana. Garza (not surprisingly) looked overwhelmed playing a team with post players over 6-6 and who weren't just going to get overpowered by him. It would have been better to play against an opponent with a pulse at home. My guess is he will play much better today and in coming weeks.

Schedules for hoops are made about 4-6 months in advance for those little guys. It's not like football

Absolutely.

It's misleading to make the claim that no one could possible know that the terrible teams would have been as bad as they are that far in advance when the scheduling is done as you note and that these teams were understood by most observers in the know to be as terrible as what they're turning out. It's not impossible to stay away from the worst of the worst in making the schedule. But that's not what they did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT