ADVERTISEMENT

Bernie Introduces Bill for Improved DENTAL Care

In broad strokes, do you favor or oppose this plan?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland

‘Crisis in dental care’: Bernie Sanders on his fight for better teeth for Americans

Exclusive: senator condemns ‘dysfunctional’ system and says his bill would help tens of millions who struggle to afford care

[bullet points]

In 2019, more than 2 million Americans went to the emergency room for tooth pain, a 62% increase since 2014, and a crisis of affordability pushed an estimated 490,000 Americans to travel to other countries such as Mexico for lower-cost dental care.

One in five US seniors have lost all their natural teeth, almost half of adults have some kind of gum disease and painful cavities are one of the most common reasons children miss school.

Nearly 69 million adults and almost 7 million children lack dental insurance. For those who have insurance, costs are often opaque and high.

Sanders’ bill expands dental coverage by adding comprehensive benefits to Medicare; incentivizing states to improve dental benefits through Medicaid; and providing dental benefits to veterans through the Veterans Administration.

Additionally, the bill would attempt to tackle some states’ dentist shortage by creating student loan forgiveness programs for dentists who practice in underserved areas....

Expanding dental coverage is exceedingly popular – recent polls show 92% of voters support the proposal, including an overwhelming majority of Republicans.

Despite popular support and the poor state of Americans’ dental health, Republican lawmakers and conservative thinktanks argue the proposal is “a solution in search of a problem”.

The ADA has also opposed past efforts to add dental benefits to Medicare, arguing in part that the administrative burden of accepting Medicare would be too great for many dental practices.

full article here:

I'm good with this. After all, bad teeth is 95% of the reason for the revolutionary war.
Wait. Are you saying that if Parliament had passed Bernie's bill back then, we'd still be British subjects?

"Subject" seems like such an offensive term in that context. Or is that just me?

Do you feel like an American subject?

British looking at this bill:

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

‘Crisis in dental care’: Bernie Sanders on his fight for better teeth for Americans

Exclusive: senator condemns ‘dysfunctional’ system and says his bill would help tens of millions who struggle to afford care

[bullet points]

In 2019, more than 2 million Americans went to the emergency room for tooth pain, a 62% increase since 2014, and a crisis of affordability pushed an estimated 490,000 Americans to travel to other countries such as Mexico for lower-cost dental care.

One in five US seniors have lost all their natural teeth, almost half of adults have some kind of gum disease and painful cavities are one of the most common reasons children miss school.

Nearly 69 million adults and almost 7 million children lack dental insurance. For those who have insurance, costs are often opaque and high.

Sanders’ bill expands dental coverage by adding comprehensive benefits to Medicare; incentivizing states to improve dental benefits through Medicaid; and providing dental benefits to veterans through the Veterans Administration.

Additionally, the bill would attempt to tackle some states’ dentist shortage by creating student loan forgiveness programs for dentists who practice in underserved areas....

Expanding dental coverage is exceedingly popular – recent polls show 92% of voters support the proposal, including an overwhelming majority of Republicans.

Despite popular support and the poor state of Americans’ dental health, Republican lawmakers and conservative thinktanks argue the proposal is “a solution in search of a problem”.

The ADA has also opposed past efforts to add dental benefits to Medicare, arguing in part that the administrative burden of accepting Medicare would be too great for many dental practices.

full article here:

I suppose good teeth are now a "human right?" Do these imbecilic marxists ever tire of finding ways to spend other people's money? Brush and floss your god-damned teeth and maintain your ****ing diet and you're good! Next it will be orthodontia care for the planet........

Reactions: HawkeyeHitman
totally fine with free college and healthcare as long as we stop sending billions to other countries, close our border, and work on our debt.

Sorry, but we can't add any more shit to the list of things to pay for right now,.. We're phucking done.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
There are free and reduced cost dental clinics all over the country. My oldest in going pre dentistry and volunteered at one in CR all week. Constant flow of people coming in for free dental work.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
There are free and reduced cost dental clinics all over the country. My oldest in going pre dentistry and volunteered at one in CR all week. Constant flow of people coming in for free dental work.
What's wrong with you? Poors and ILLEGALS deserve to use the same dentists the stars use, no?

Early forms of the toothbrush have
been in existence since 3000 BC.
Ancient civilizations used a “chew stick,”
which was a thin twig with a frayed end.
These ‘chew sticks’ were rubbed against
the teeth.

That shows there is a demand for dental care. Your oldest isn’t going to donate 100% of their time to provide free or reduced care (that someone else has made donations to cover). A healthier population is a less expensive And more productive population.

Reactions: Ree4 and Moral
We really have a knack for making a crisis out of the smallest, least important things in this country

Good teeth = good

However, it's Bernie so it's probably a bad idea and he probably plans to fund it by taxing the rich, which is his plan for everything.

So in broad strokes, we should probably oppose it.

totally fine with free college and healthcare as long as we stop sending billions to other countries, close our border, and work on our debt.
If I thought you were serious, there could be a good compromise in there.

Fix the border AND provide free college and healthcare . . . and take the money from the "being the policeman for the planet" part of the budget.

Then pass a constitutional amendment that only permits an underfunded budget by a bicameral, 2/3 majority, emergency declaration.

Deal?

We really have a knack for making a crisis out of the smallest, least important things in this country
Are you saying that dental care for the needy and elderly is one of "the smallest, least important things in this country"?

In the first place, it's hardly trivial.

More importantly, Bernie isn't "making a crisis" out of it. He's offering a plan to address an existing need.

Reactions: Ree4
If I thought you were serious, there could be a good compromise in there.

Fix the border AND provide free college and healthcare . . . and take the money from the "being the policeman for the planet" part of the budget.

Then pass a constitutional amendment that only permits an underfunded budget by a bicameral, 2/3 majority, emergency declaration.

Deal?
Deal- as long as we can agree what "fix the border" is. For me it is means a full deportation of anyone here illegally and a grading system for people that apply to come here for permanent residence- not just day workers crossing and going back.

That shows there is a demand for dental care. Your oldest isn’t going to donate 100% of their time to provide free or reduced care (that someone else has made donations to cover). A healthier population is a less expensive And more productive population.
Not seeing it. My BIL went thru a rough patch and the meds he was on rotted his teeth. He was able to get implants all thru a social security sponsored dental clinic in the Chicago area. He had a couple places he could choose to go.
I'm just not sure this is the crisis Bernie is making it out to be. There are options for dental care for those that want and need it.

There you go again.

Since when is "you're making something a right" a reasonable argument against doing something that would help millions of people?

If you oppose helping people, then man up and argue against helping people. Enough hiding behind this nasty Republican talking point.
Since I'm being forced to pay for it, asshole!

Not seeing it. My BIL went thru a rough patch and the meds he was on rotted his teeth. He was able to get implants all thru a social security sponsored dental clinic in the Chicago area. He had a couple places he could choose to go.
I'm just not sure this is the crisis Bernie is making it out to be. There are options for dental care for those that want and need it.
Ah, the old Republican argument that somewhere, sometimes, some people can get treatment; therefore there's no reason to make treatment widely available.

Reactions: OILCHECKER and Ree4
Ah, the old Republican argument that somewhere, sometimes, some people can get treatment; therefore there's no reason to make treatment widely available.
Ah...let's make it available to the world--and every deadbeat in America--while actual Americans who worked for a living, get ****ed in the ass by SS and medicare and have their homes conscripted to pay for their old age care.

Are you saying that dental care for the needy and elderly is one of "the smallest, least important things in this country"?

In the first place, it's hardly trivial.

More importantly, Bernie isn't "making a crisis" out of it. He's offering a plan to address an existing n
How much will it cost?

You making up the "somewhere, sometimes" part speaks volumes but thats all you ever do. I provided two real world examples where people in need of free dental care were able to get it, and your response is that it's not good enough... bc you and Bernie aren't real world thinkers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT