ADVERTISEMENT

Best places to eat in Iowa City?

gamedayron01

HR All-American
Jan 1, 2023
My wife and I want to get sitters for the kids and have a nice weekend in Iowa City. Any recommendations on places to eat or hotels? We would probably wait until after football season since the hotel availability is spare for good places.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

The McDonalds on Benton St. consistently puts out the hottest fries. I'd recommend staying away from the one on Lower Muscatine, their Diet Coke tastes weird. The Hardee's downtown is gone but you can still get out to Coralville and scratch the Frisco Burger itch there. Other than that, the Taco Johns across from the mall is the last one left in the area - so if you need some ole's that's your only shot.

Have fun with the wife!

Not the OP’s mom’s Y. Smells like a stew of rotten garbage, wet dog, and bad fish.

The McDonalds on Benton St. consistently puts out the hottest fries. I'd recommend staying away from the one on Lower Muscatine, their Diet Coke tastes weird. The Hardee's downtown is gone but you can still get out to Coralville and scratch the Frisco Burger itch there. Other than that, the Taco Johns across from the mall is the last one left in the area - so if you need some ole's that's your only shot.

Have fun with the wife!

Luckily there are three Taco John’s in the QC

We tried the Black Angel last friday, and it was pretty good. It just opened in September in the old Maid Rite, Lou Henry's building at North Dodge and Iowa Avenue. Burgers, mexican, po' boys. Breakfast lunch and dinner.

Pie Shakes at the Hamburg Inn

Reactions: cigaretteman
We tried the Black Angel last friday, and it was pretty good. It just opened in September in the old Maid Rite, Lou Henry's building at North Dodge and Iowa Avenue. Burgers, mexican, po' boys. Breakfast lunch and dinner.
That is a cursed spot for a restaurant. RIP in peace Black Angel

House of Lords

RIP in pieces.

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: QChawks
Iowa City has some great spots! One of my faves is Pullman Bar & Diner for a delicious meal. HotelVetro is a good stay option. Waiting till after football season is smart. Also, check breakfast near me for delicious options. Enjoy your weekend getaway!

Last edited:
Meh, Monica's is ok, lacking for any atmosphere. It's like eating at Denny's.

I would recommend Pullman, Basta, or Baranchinis, I've also heard the Webster is good but haven't gone there. Orchard Green is pretty good also.
Really? We like their food...especially easy for kids to find something because the menu has lots of options. Is it my favorite? No. But it's not bad at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT