ADVERTISEMENT

Best Reason Yet to Let the South Secede? Credit Ratings.

More black people in the south. Black people average credit score is about 100 points lower than white people. Translation, OP, Opinion piece, and credit scores are racist.

I am a Post subscriber and I can't believe this is what "passes" for professional journalism in 2023.

I can't even get to the substance of this article without being distracted and annoyed by its style.

It reads like NPR news copy or a shlocky article written for a college newspaper (no disrespect to college journalism students).

Hey Andrew Van Dam, you're in your 30's dude. It's time to take off the hoodie and put on a shirt and tie, drop the research narrative writing style and write a grown-up, long-form article that projects some authority.
I find it interesting that you say "I can't believe this is what 'passes' for professional journalism in 2023" and yet your only complaints are about style. Not lack of facts. Not bias. Style.

I find it interesting that you say "I can't believe this is what 'passes' for professional journalism in 2023" and yet your only complaints are about style. Not lack of facts. Not bias. Style.
Poor style can be very distracting and diminish credibility. If I'm supposed to be getting professional journalism in exchange for my subscription fees, frankly I expect a more polished style. That article was written in an amateurish style. If I want to read amateur writing I'll stick to reading Twitter and message boards (free).

Poor style can be very distracting and diminish credibility. If I'm supposed to be getting professional journalism in exchange for my subscription fees, frankly I expect a more polished style. That article was written in an amateurish style. If I want to read amateur writing I'll stick to reading Twitter and message boards (free).
I'm not going to disagree that we should expect good writing from professional journalists. But the top priorities should be in the realms of facts, hard-nosed investigations, and honest presentation.

Honest (non-propagandistic) presentation has largely gone the way of the dinosaurs. And hard-nose investigations impress us when they happen precisely because they don't happen that often. Which leaves facts - and some who get 1st amendment protections as press abandoned their commitment to facts a long time ago.

Consider the current Dominion vs FOX lawsuit. Post Reports did a good segment on this yesterday. The #1 takeaway (for me) was not just that prominent FOX presenters knowingly lied but that the reason they weren't disciplined was that corporate was worried about losing viewers to Newsmax and other alternatives.

That's journalism in America today.

How do we fix that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT