ADVERTISEMENT

Best Star Trek movie ever?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
I pretty much stopped watching movies over a decade ago, but I had insomnia in a hotel room last night and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) was on the TV so I watched.

VERY ENTERTAINING! Action packed, old-school Star Trek story with many plot twists!

I laughed, I cried, I thoroughly enjoyed this flick.

Five out of Five Stars!

One thing I don't understand though.... how was young Spock able to speak with his older, future self? I didn't get how that part was possible.

Oh, and a tribble was involved. Super-cool.

I pretty much stopped watching movies over a decade ago, but I had insomnia in a hotel room last night and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) was on the TV so I watched.

VERY ENTERTAINING! Action packed, old-school Star Trek story with many plot twists!

Five out of Five Stars!

One thing I don't understand though.... how was young Spock able to speak with his older, future self? I didn't get how that part was possible.

In the first of the remakes with Chris Pine, older spock was sent back in time, I believe through an accident.

Since then he was just sort of hanging around in the past.

2009 Trek my favorite followed by Into Darkness. Beyond those two the rest are meh to terrible to me.

Reactions: the24fan
star trek spock GIF

Five out of Five Stars!

Here’s my Star Trek movies ranked with overall score.

1) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 10/10
2) Galaxy Quest - 10/10
3) Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 10/10
4) Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 9/10
5) Star Trek (2009) - 9/10
6) Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country - 9/10
7) Star Trek Beyond - 9/10
8) Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 7/10
9) Star Trek First Contact - 6/10
10) Star Trek Nemesis - 5/10
11) Star Trek Generations - 4/10
12) Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 4/10
13) Star Trek Into Darkness - 3/10
14) Star Trek Insurrection - 1/10

Last edited:
Reactions: alaskanseminole

2) Galaxy Quest - 10/10
11) Star Trek Genesis - 4/10
12) Star Trek Into Darkness - 3/10
13) Star Trek Insurrection - 1/10
Agree mostly, but 4, 8 and 10 are far too high, 13 I'd bump up a couple spots, Final Frontier is maybe just above Motion Picture - to be fair, I don't think that one's a terrible movie, just boring as hell to me and the special effects have aged the worst of any of the star trek movies.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The first movie was the one about the whales, right?

Yeah, that sucked.

That was IV. The first one had the bald alien women who kept saying she was sent by Vger.

First Contact is the best Star Trek movie. I like the new Star Trek movies but they are a bit too much pew pew pew like they are trying to mimic Star Wars action. Star Trek phasers are supposed to shoot beams vs little plasma ball projectile looking things.

main-qimg-c51f8225f3a1235dca24989e6a0c1230

pew pew pew

e80500fd8b691d08176737e81bf2e6625346a0bd.gifv

2) Galaxy Quest - 10/10
Since no one else has done it yet, here's an LOL for Galaxy Quest.

The Wrath of Khan is easily the best and I caught it at the drive-in as a kid when it came out. I didn’t like part where my parents were fvcking in the backseat.

Reactions: seminoleed
The voyage home was somewhat funny. Some good lines..
1 Back in the 60s he was part of the free speech movement at Berkeley. Between us I think he did a little too much LDS.. LOL..
2. Let me guess you’re from outer space? No I’m from Iowa, I only work in outer space.
3. Spock where’s those numbers you promised me? “One damn minute admiral…

2) Galaxy Quest - 10/10

Wow.

I had no idea there were this many Star Trek movies. If you asked me , I would have said “6”. I’ve only seen the first two….liked Wrath of Khan.

The JJ Abrams movies are shiny and full of action. But they aren’t really Star Trek. They were made by a guy who read the MAD Magazine stories about Star Trek and decided to take those caricatures and figure out how to make a dramatic movie about them.

Kirk was not a wise ass womanizer at Starfleet Academy that didn’t study. He was a self-proclaimed book nerd(a stack of books with legs), great student, instructor, and eventually the youngest captain in Starfleet history. His character was based upon Horatio Hornblower. He cheated in the Kobyashi Maru only because he didn’t believe in unwinnable scenarios and Starfleet commended him for his thinking outside the box.

People will claim that, well his dad died which made things different. But that doesn’t make any sense. He was born in Iowa, not on a spaceship. His parents should not have been on a spaceship for his dad to have been killed in the first place. The Romulans traveled back in time right into their ship where he was killed while she gave birth. It was lazy writing to make things “cool”.

I will give those movies credit. They were very well cast and acted. Just too bad that they didn’t have someone that respected the true source material in charge as they could have energized the franchise rather than killed it with the stupid Khan movie.

I’ve only watched 7 of those, but the best 2 imo are the original II and the reboot in 2009.

Your father was the Captain of a starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother’s and your’s. I dare you to do better. - great scene

Reactions: onlyTheObvious

2) Galaxy Quest - 10/10
Here's my ranking:
  1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982): The absolute best Star Trek featuring the OG.
  2. Star Trek: First Contact (1996): The absolute best Star Trek featuring the new guard.
  3. Star Trek (2009)
  4. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991): Captain Hikaru Sulu, "Fly her apart then!"
  5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
  6. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
  7. Star Trek Beyond (2016)
  8. Star Trek: Generations (1994)
  9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
  10. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
  11. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
  12. Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)
  13. Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
*Where can we fit Picard Season III? Man, that was some good $hit!!!!!
**I love Galaxy Quest and give it 10/10 also.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Here's my ranking:
  1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982): The absolute best Star Trek featuring the OG.
  2. Star Trek: First Contact (1996): The absolute best Star Trek featuring the new guard.
  3. Star Trek (2009)
  4. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991): Captain Hikaru Sulu, "Fly her apart then!"
Nemesis and Final Frontier are the worst for their respective Star Trek casts imo.

1 Back in the 60s he was part of the free speech movement at Berkeley. Between us I think he did a little too much LDS.. LOL..
2. Let me guess you’re from outer space? No I’m from Iowa, I only work in outer space.

Yes, I think The Voyage Home is underappreciated. I loved Chekov, in a thick Russian accent in the middle of the Cold War, asking people where he could find the "nuclear wessels." McCoy at the hospital giving a dialysis patient a pill to cure it, Scotty trying to give an Apple McIntosh voice commands through the mouse, Spock giving the Vulcan grip to an annoying guy with a boom box.

I also get a kick out of the fact the Nimoy wanted to avoid all the hours in makeup with his fake ears, so for the entire movie they concoct a way to have them covered.

Here's my ranking:
  3. Star Trek (2009)
One of my fave Trek quotes: "Target that explosion and fire!"

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

This movie seems to be a favorite among moviegoers like myself who aren't really big Trekies. Even though it completes a 3-movie story arc, it is a good standalone film and doesn't really require much prior knowledge of the characters to enjoy. It was the first Star Trek movie I saw in the theater and might have been the first one I watched in its entirety, and I remember thinking that I didn't realize that Star Trek was funny. This one and Wrath of Khan are the only two Star Trek movies that I will watch if I come across them while flipping channels.

Didn't get into the Next Generation, but I made sure to watch Generations, and also liked it more than the typical Trekie seems to. I've heard that First Contact is the only really good NG movie, and that seems to be confirmed here.

I've seen the reboot films, and I've enjoyed them for the most part, and I liked the idea of the time-travel plot which alters the characters' destinies, but as others mentioned, I did not like the complete change of Kirk's personality, the the new Khan story really missed the mark.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

This movie seems to be a favorite among moviegoers like myself who aren't really big Trekies. Even though it completes a 3-movie story arc, it is a good standalone film and doesn't really require much prior knowledge of the characters to enjoy. It was the first Star Trek movie I saw in the theater and might have been the first one I watched in its entirety, and I remember thinking that I didn't realize that Star Trek was funny. This one and Wrath of Khan are the only two Star Trek movies that I will watch if I come across them while flipping channels.

Didn't get into the Next Generation, but I made sure to watch Generations, and also liked it more than the typical Trekie seems to. I've heard that First Contact is the only really good NG movie, and that seems to be confirmed here.

I've seen the reboot films, and I've enjoyed them for the most part, and I liked the idea of the time-travel plot which alters the characters' destinies, but as others mentioned, I did not like the complete change of Kirk's personality, the the new Khan story really missed the mark.
Nemesis is the only Trek film that I have active dislike for. Final frontier is bad, but has a few good moments, and there’s reasons that contributed to it being bad.

I don’t really mind Kirk’s personality being different in the reboots - different actor, different backstory, and people would have hated it even more had he tried to be Shatner 2.0.

Here's my ranking:
  3. Star Trek (2009)

If you took the final 3 episodes of Picard Season 3, I’d put it between my 6 and 7 with a 9/10. If you took both parts of Best of Both Worlds and made a movie I’d put it 4th and a 10/10.

As far as the nuTrek seasons, it’s definitely #1. I’d rate the nuTrek seasons as:

1. Picard Season 3 - 9/10
2. Strange New Worlds Season 2 - 8/10
3. Strange New Worlds Season 1 - 7/10
4. Lower Decks Season 2 - 7/10
5. Lower Decks Season 4 - 6/10
6. Lower Decks Season 3 - 6/10
7. Lower Decks Season 1 - 6/10
8. Prophecy Season 1 - 6/10
9. Discovery Season 1 - 5/10
10. Discovery Season 2 - 4/10
11. Picard Season 1 - 4/10
12. Discovery Season 5 - 3/10
13. Discovery Season 3 - 3/10
14. Discovery Season 4 - 2/10
15. Picard Season 2 - 1/10

Still my favorite-heart plus a sense of humor.

I loved the reboots and am still disappointed that they were shelved. Star Trek Beyond was my favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT