ADVERTISEMENT

Best way to build credit?

In my experience, a joint account is one of the biggest sources of conflict ever. What's the advantage of a joint account?
Or it’s one of the easiest things because you share everything. There’s no question of why didn’t you pay your part of the mortgage or where did you get that money from.
Seems to me only people that are looking for a quick break do not have shared accounts.

And in the case of the op, looks like it would be a very easy split for him and the wife doesn’t have her name on anything.

In my experience, a joint account is one of the biggest sources of conflict ever. What's the advantage of a joint account?
If married, I'd say the opposite. You can split up the fixed expenses, but anything variable comes into question. Who is paying for this dinner? Who is going to buy the kids' clothes? etc.

With a shared account, the only conflict is on non-discussed discretionary spending. Unless the couple can't live within their means at all, then everything will be in conflict (as it also would with separate accounts).

Long story short, my wife has no buying power with her credit. Her score is around 700, but since we married 14 years ago she has not been on one thing. I'm the only one on the house, cars, every bill, and she is authorized user on all my CCs.

So we got her a CC about 2 months ago and lo and behold, because we put 380 on it in chicago last weekend it dropped her score by 18 pts. "Using too much of her available credit limit". So I'm asking you financial geniuses of GIAOT for some helpful hints. TIA.
Two ways:

1. Tell her to pay her bookie back on time and word will spread

2. Tell her to keep doing that thing she did to me last night and her cred will spread like her legs did, last night.

If married, I'd say the opposite. You can split up the fixed expenses, but anything variable comes into question. Who is paying for this dinner? Who is going to buy the kids' clothes? etc.

With a shared account, the only conflict is on non-discussed discretionary spending. Unless the couple can't live within their means at all, then everything will be in conflict (as it also would with separate accounts).
I guess it just depends on the people. Ultimately if you don't have 100% trust in the other person then it won't work no matter what you do.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
I'm mystified why OP or his wife didn't do the joint accts 14 years ago?
Never thought about it back then. I bought the house right before we were married, have always had the bills in my name, and when we need a car for her I ask her to look online then I go buy it. Like I previously mentioned, if I knew I'd be around forever I'd keep doing the same thing and she wouldn't even need credit.

Joint acct was one of many reasons for my divorce
Is that because she questioned why you were spending so much on hookers and blow?
I would think the only reason it would have caused your divorce is because you couldn’t hid things. Which leads me to believe having a joint account was not at all the reason for your divorce.
I’d love to hear that one in court.
Judge: why do you want to get a divorce
ButtersHawk: it’s this damn joint banking account, I can’t take sharing expenses anymore when I make more money than her. I should be able to waste my money without her knowing.

Is that because she questioned why you were spending so much on hookers and blow?
I would think the only reason it would have caused your divorce is because you couldn’t hid things. Which leads me to believe having a joint account was not at all the reason for your divorce.
I’d love to hear that one in court.
Judge: why do you want to get a divorce
ButtersHawk: it’s this damn joint banking account, I can’t take sharing expenses anymore when I make more money than her. I should be able to waste my money without her knowing.
Exact opposite. By every Monday morning I was basically broke but the Amazon packages didn't stop showing up on the front door. I opened another account at my bank and redirected my direct deposit there with only me on the account so I could make sure bills and groceries got taken care of, which of course because it was just me it did. And how dare you accuse me of shenanigans I only bought hookers and blow once.

Kidding aside it was a big reason. When you work 40 more hours a week than your SO, live frugally and still are broke with needless spending by one person that creates stress. Stress enough that at 21 I got shingles.

Reactions: TennNole17
Exact opposite. By every Monday morning I was basically broke but the Amazon packages didn't stop showing up on the front door. I opened another account at my bank and redirected my direct deposit there with only me on the account so I could make sure bills and groceries got taken care of, which of course because it was just me it did. And how dare you accuse me of shenanigans I only bought hookers and blow once.

Kidding aside it was a big reason. When you work 40 more hours a week than your SO, live frugally and still are broke with needless spending by one person that creates stress. Stress enough that at 21 I got shingles.
Ok but you didn’t get a divorce because you had a joint savings account. If anything it helped you quickly realize she had a spending problem. If she had her own separate account it probably would have been much worse and you wouldn’t have known and in the end probably cost you more money.

Ok but you didn’t get a divorce because you had a joint savings account. If anything it helped you quickly realize she had a spending problem. If she had her own separate account it probably would have been much worse and you wouldn’t have known and in the end probably cost you more money.
That's fair but it was an arguing point. In the end without her income I am 1,000% better financially and got my kids so no regrets. Enough about me though we need to get OP's wife's credit up so she can buy a Suzuki Samurai!

Last edited:
I guess it just depends on the people. Ultimately if you don't have 100% trust in the other person then it won't work no matter what you do.
I've always had separate accounts before marriage, and joint after. Whenever I see a married couple who say they have separate accounts I have a good feeling they will divorce. Just like I am fairly sure that two unmarried people buying a house together will end up bad.

Not always, and it's a different world today.

Reactions: MitchLL
I've always had separate accounts before marriage, and joint after. Whenever I see a married couple who say they have separate accounts I have a good feeling they will divorce. Just like I am fairly sure that two unmarried people buying a house together will end up bad.

Not always, and it's a different world today.
Nah, I don't buy that. I think that just has more to do with the high rate of divorce in general that makes it seem that way. Whatever the reasons for the divorce, I don't think whether or not you have a joint account is one of them. Other than if you are always fighting over who spent what because you each get to see everyone's every single purchase or, just to keep it even, one person is carrying a significantly larger portion of the bill load than the other, relative to how much they are getting paid.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Nah, I don't buy that. I think that just has more to do with the high rate of divorce in general that makes it seem that way. Whatever the reasons for the divorce, I don't think whether or not you have a joint account is one of them. Other than if you are always fighting over who spent what because you each get to see everyone's every single purchase or, just to keep it even, one person is carrying a significantly larger portion of the bill load than the other, relative to how much they are getting paid.
I should have said that the married couples who have separate accounts is a sign that they don't trust each other enough to have joint accounts, and that lack of trust can be fatal for a marriage.

Ideally, when you're married there isn't a his bill or hers bill or income. It's all ours. I'm lucky to be in a marriage like that.

Reactions: MitchLL
I should have said that the married couples who have separate accounts is a sign that they don't trust each other enough to have joint accounts, and that lack of trust can be fatal for a marriage.

Ideally, when you're married there isn't a his bill or hers bill or income. It's all ours. I'm lucky to be in a marriage like that.
Or they trust their partner completely and don't have the slightest concern about whether or not their partner is being responsible with money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT