ADVERTISEMENT

Best way to improve escape from bottom

Oct 10, 2019
ive got an eighth grader who is decent on his feet, decent leg rider but seems to hesitate and lose that initial window on bottom. A lot of collective experience and knowledge on this board, whats the best way to improve escape from bottom.

If you uncover it, please share with the Brands brothers. It is by far the weakest aspect of Iowa's wrestling during their tenure.

Reactions: Pinkcadillac
I’ve always believed bottom wrestling is a mindset that has to be earned through small achievements.

Explosive to the feet movements should be paramount at his age.

Against better opponents fighting for hand control becomes more of a priority. Also learning where/when your opponent will be out of position...takes time.

Cary Kolat(or maybe his father)-CATTLE PROD.

You would probably get arrested for doing it now, but that is a surefire way to get the mindset right. You have to envision something like drowning. Someone is holding you under water and if you don’t escape quickly you literally die.

As was said above, mindset is key. That or tree trunk legs like Phil Keddy. Other than that it is drill over and over again and chain wrestle Throughout. The initial move almost never gets you there against good competition, but constant motion after that move is what creates more and more separation

Finally, if you have access to FLO, watch Jason Tsirtsis show his sit out series. He was about the best from bottom that I have seen in quite some time due to that move and how he chain wrestled through it.

You would probably get arrested for doing it now, but that is a surefire way to get the mindset right. You have to envision something like drowning. Someone is holding you under water and if you don’t escape quickly you literally die.

As was said above, mindset is key. That or tree trunk legs like Phil Keddy. Other than that it is drill over and over again and chain wrestle Throughout. The initial move almost never gets you there against good competition, but constant motion after that move is what creates more and more separation

Finally, if you have access to FLO, watch Jason Tsirtsis show his sit out series. He was about the best from bottom that I have seen in quite some time due to that move and how he chain wrestled through it.

I tell you, when I saw CATTLE PROD in your title, I burst out laughing. All I could imagine was an electric cattle prod in the rear end! It never failed to move cattle or hogs!

I tell you, when I saw CATTLE PROD in your title, I burst out laughing. All I could imagine was an electric cattle prod in the rear end! It never failed to move cattle or hogs!

Well, you are imagining right!

Like he said, you would probably get arrested for it. It was great for inspiring creativity and urgency. Not great for inspiring a well adjusted human.

Reactions: el dub
Yep, I was going to say cover the hands right away and don't stop moving.

The crazy thing is this can backfire against the best crab/leg riders. More often than not you need to keep your arms extended and hands out as far in the front as possible.

A good in control explosive standup dril drill drill or a push back standup with elbows in. As he has more experience things get more technical but KISS method is best.

I was coaching in Dallas and Slay came and gave a clinic. His version of the stand-up is the best method I have seen. Not really a stand up, but more of a hip heist-out combined with stand up elements. Prevents ankle and spiral rides. As in all wrestling it has to be done off the whistle fluidly.

https://pennsylvaniartc.org/media/correct-starting-position-quick-stand-part-1/

This +1000

Unless you're more athletic than the other guy, the stand up is damn difficult. It can be exhausting and demoralizing to keep getting slammed down before you even get up to your feet. After you've been wrestling for years you can start to get more comfortable and more explosive, but young guys and less athletic guys need something else to help them get some separation.

Slay's bottom series is, imo, the easiest way to get some separation to make your escape easier. The one thing missing from the series linked is my favorite finish:

When you immediately sit back and the opponent pressures into you (the most common reaction) you just plant the soles of your feet on the mat and let his pressure stand you up.

The best way is to clone Phil Keddy, or at least surgically implant whatever genetic code he has that your kid would need to improve escapability.....;)

Make it a game. Blindfold him and have a partner cover top. Repeatedly drill first motion off the whistle. Top man goes for a tight waist/far ankle, bottom man goes for hand control/improved foot position. Blow the whistle until he becomes like Pavlov’s dog and has instant muscle memory attributed to the sound. Once he’s got that, remove the blindfold and drill the full escape. It should at least improve his first move off the sound of the whistle.

As little weight on your hands as possible.

Head up looking at the ref.

Make the number 11 with your thumbs.

Pressure BACK and up. Not just up.

My favorite drill is practicing wall stand ups.

Reactions: lionlover
Tell him when he is on bottom, his head is under water and he has to fight to get air.
Stand up
Short sit/stand up
Long sit/switch
Lind sit/short sit/switch/stand up.

hand control, combinations and mindset score.

Reactions: Grip220

Tsirtsis sit out will do the trick.

Reactions: Omahahawk86
Gotta bring your hips to the party!
giphy.gif

A lot depends on stature of your young man. Short and stocky sit outs. Lanky stand ups.
This is old, old school. I was lanky (love the back against the wall drill)
In one motion, inside leg up elbow into your hip bend your wrist so it’s perpendicular to your forearm back straight, throw your head back (helps get the back Straight) cover the hand at the wrist with your free hand and post it on your hip.
Pivot on your toes with the free outside leg, turning 90 degrees as you are coming to your feet. Back has to be straight.
With the covered hand in you back pocket bring (the pivot toe leg) back towards your opponent, rotating 180 degrees to face your opponent.
The arm pinned to your hip should allow you to create separation of the opponents by bringing it out away from your hip. As you turn in.

Reactions: hlstone
Get this question all the time at camp. I'd suggest the "looking busy" technique. Belly to knees...belly to knees... strong base and always appearing to be looking for wrist control under there. Let him know the goal is to not get turned and keeping things to only one warning till he can get things back to their feet. An ultimate "win" would be top guy cutting him out of frustration. All that said, stress 1-0. Always stress one to nothing.

“Baby” stand up. It’s what almost all of the top wrestlers are doing and it’s for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT