ADVERTISEMENT

Best/Worst Iowa game you’ve attended.

Best: PSU 2021.

Worst: 1993 against #1 PSU we lost 31-0 and that was them being nice. Eerily similar to me being at Happy Valley this past season honestly but of course, that wasn't at Kinnick.

Last edited:
No one has said losing to North Dakota State yet.
I was worried about that game all off-season honestly. I didn't think people were taking them seriously enough on here. Us losing was surprising but not that surprising, still, yeah, it did suck.

Best attended
Iowa at Minnesota 2002
Iowa vs Penn St 2008
Iowa vs Michigan 2017
Iowa vs OSU 2004
Iowa vs Penn St 2021

Worst attended
Iowa vs ISU 2002
Iowa vs MSU 2015 Big Ten title game
Iowa at ISU 2007
Iowa vs NW 2009
Iowa at ISU whatever year we lost to Steele Jantz in triple OT

Last edited:
I was worried about that game all off-season honestly. I didn't think people were taking them seriously enough on here. Us losing was surprising but not that surprising, still, yeah, it did suck.
Easton Stick still playing in the NFL also.

Easton Stick still playing in the NFL also.
And starting due to injury, or at least was. I don't watch NFL but was surprised he was still around. He did well against us. I was surprised they didn't win it that year at NDSU honestly.

And starting due to injury, or at least was. I don't watch NFL but was surprised he was still around. He did well against us. I was surprised they didn't win it that year at NDSU honestly.
NFL is awesome.

Oh this is way too hard to pick one or a few games, but here goes:

Attended, the hawks wins in Kinnick in 1981; just an amazing season; the loss that year in Kinnick to a so-so Minny team was bad.

A top one at Kinnick was the 1985 Mich vs Iowa 2 vs #1 at Kinnick

Several really bad ones: Mid 1970's Penn St beat Iowa maybe 27 or 30 to zip, in a cool rain at Kinnick, we were miserable in the stands.

All Rose Bowls Iowa played in except for the ones in the 1950's - they were usually pretty bad beat downs on the biggest stage

I’ll get flack for this but the most fun (maybe not the best) time I’ve ever had at an Iowa game was the 2015 big ten title game loss to Michigan State. It was electric and exhilarating.
The two worst experiences by far were the only bowl games I’ve ever been to. The Rose Bowl against Stanford and the 2006 Outback Bowl against Florida and the refs.
By far the most intense game I’ve been to. On the long Iowa TD pass I about blacked out ha. Was so cool standing at the tunnel where the team busses entered the stadium. Hear was absolutely ripped out but one of the coolest parts was the whole stadium chanting let’s go Hawks as the swarm left the field after the game.

Reactions: NI hawk
My last two games at Kinnick are: 1) When Stanzi went down with an injury from being facemasked in the endzone, yet fumbling and giving up the 7, losing to NW. 2) Minnesota at Iowa this year. Cooper's TD being overturned is the ultimate sports gut-wrenching moment I've had. I won't return to Kinnick.

I was at some great ones, too.
- At Minny when we took the goalposts up into the concourse.
- We blew out Ohio State with Drew Tate.
- At Wiscy when were shockingly down, but Matt Rogers, Mike Saunders et. al drove down for the winning score.
- Beating MN at Kinnick who was led by Lou Holtz, and hearing one side shout "Rose!" and the other "Bowl!"

Best
Michigan 1985
Ohio State 1983
Wisconsin 2004
Purdue 2002
Michigan State 1985

Worst
@Minnesota 1998

Best: Probably 2010 MSU. I didn't come across a single person that day that was worried about Sparty, despite them being a top 10 team. Micah Hyde scored on the Sash lateral right in front of me.

Worst: 2012 Iowa State

Best
- Beating Neb 1981 (I was a hs classmate Roger Craig’s brother Curtis)
- #1 Iowa beating # 2 MI
- 2021 Penn St. (My kids were there. Dolphin told me loudest he’d heard Kinnick)

Worst
The Rose Bowls
2021 B1G Championship loss to MI
Fake punt loss to Wisky

Reactions: lonhawk
The worst game I ever saw was many many years ago. At home versus michigan. Late in the season, cold, sleet, windy, and the Hawks got beat something like 22 to 0. Man the fans could not have given Frank verducci the offensive line coach any more crap if they tried. The team exited at the opposite end of the field back then, and they exited halftime and after the game right underneath us. Man verducci caught some raft of crap.

You are all young! 1973 we went 0-11. Lost to Illinois 50-0! I think it was 71 we lost a couple 40 something to 7 or 10.
I didn't get to many games in person after that.

Reactions: pistachio1999
The football beat down of Ohio state was the best. Just sat back and enjoyed the game knowing we would win

Figured I’d try to start something new to talk about for awhile. What’s everyone’s favorite and least favorite game you’ve attended. My favorite is 09 Michigan at night, Sat in the end zone Moeaki scored both TDs in and where Clayborn smoked Tate Forcier. My least favorite game was the 2012 Central Michigan game 🤢 honorable mention 2015 big ten title game might be my favorite (but the most I’ve had my heart ripped out all in one) looking forward to hearing everyone’s.
Best
1985 #1 vs. #2
1981 MSU Rose Bowl clincher

Worst
Bobby F’ing Oliver
Any game from Frank Lauterber era 0-11 year.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Best = 2004 vs. Wisconsin to clinch a share of the B1G Title (stormed the field afterward)

Worst = 2010 vs Wisconsin (fake punt, enough said)

Wait, we didn’t really lose that one
I wouldn't know. I left midway through the 4th quarter down 2 points having failed to witness a second half first down against the 83rd most efficient defense in the country. The outcome seemed a foregone conclusion. That 2 point deficit was just too big a mountain to overcome.

Best: 1985 #1 Iowa vs #2 Michigan

Worst: 2010 OSU. Freezing cold, lost when Terrell Pryor ran for a 4th and long, and then at the end of the season, we found out they were all deemed ineligible for improper payments. Also 2010 Wisky, and 2010 NW in Evanston in the freezing rain

2010 kinda sucked

by 10 miles, the fake punt loss to wisky. that may be the dumbest thing i've ever seen in the history of football at any level. that should have been a fire-able offense...

Reactions: NI hawk
Best: 2017 beatdown of Ohio State. I was seated next to an OSU fan who wasn’t used to being on the short end of a rout.

Worst: Almost any game during my college career, 1970-1974 (10 wins in 5 years), the first of which was a 48-0 humiliation against USC in 1970. Hawk fans, imagine a team with this year’s offense and a defense that was just as bad.

Best 1981 Michigan State to clinch rose bowl berth. Growing up in Iowa City and then sitting in the student section counting down its hard to describe how surreal it felt after a life time of watching the Hawks struggle
Worst none, any day watching the Hawks is a good day

Best attended
Iowa at Minnesota 2002
Iowa vs Penn St 2008
Iowa vs Michigan 2017
Iowa vs OSU 2004
Iowa vs Penn St 2021

Worst attended
Iowa vs ISU 2002
Iowa vs MSU 2015 Big Ten title game
Iowa at ISU 2007
Iowa vs NW 2009
Iowa at ISU whatever year we lost to Steele Jantz in triple OT
Iowa vs Wisconsin 2010

Last edited:
BEST in person:
2006 vs. OSU
Pregame maybe........

That game was similar to these past few years where we just got the sh** kicked out of us and it showed just how far we'd fallen and how much of a difference there was between us and a team like Ohio State.

The only difference between that game and these past few years was that we actually had hope that we could've won that '06 game and we got a swift kick the balls by reality.

At least these past few years we already knew we probably had no shot because our offense was dog shit.

Reactions: AEG82
Best in person:
2002 Northwestern
2004 Ohio State
2008 Penn State
2009 Michigan/Indiana (really fun atmosphere around Iowa City leading up to that Michigan game)
2015 Minnesota/Oklahoma State wrestling (not exactly the best-played but great atmospheres)

Worst in person:
2006 Northwestern (f*** Pat Fitzgerald)
2007 Western Michigan (everyone associated with that game should be ashamed of themselves, Kinnick crowd included)
2007 Indiana (so bad I blocked it from my mind)
2014 Iowa State (another unsurprisingly dog sh** effort against bad Iowa State team)

No one has said losing to North Dakota State yet.
I was never stunned by that game though because I was one of the few that had seen North Dakota State play in-person multiple times and understood what they'd become.

Did Iowa still have a garbage game plan? Of course they did.

Best:

Best that ever would have been............................ Iowa vs Minnesota 2023..................gd replay ref!

Iowa at Mich State in 2009 when 7 got 6 and Dantonio looked like someone just nut punched him.

Iowa vs Ohio State in 2017.

Iowa at Wisconsin in 2015.

One back in 2003 ish timeframe where we beat the tar of out Ohio State in Kinnick.

Iowa at Minnesota in 2002

Nate Stanleys first road game in 2017 when he tossed a walk off TD to ISM in overtime to beat Iowa State in Ames.

Worst: I would have to say vs Nebraska in 2022 would be right up there. West title on the line against a crap team and we poop ourselves.

Also Penn State when they beat us in the last minute (2018-ish) with McSorley tossing the TD.
PSU game was 2017 and that was damn painful.

Best 1985 vs Illini 59-0

Worst Bobby Fin Olive

I believe I remember Merton Hanks tipping a pass in the air which OSU caught and housed just before halftime. Never watched the replay but we had sooooo many chances before BFO happened.
Hanks didn't also tip that to Olive, did he?

Reactions: lonhawk
BEST in person:
2002 vs. Purdue
2006 vs. OSU
2008 vs. PSU
2009 vs. Michigan

best: Ohio state 2006 at home even though we lost, energy was insane
Worst: TN in cheezit bowl in 2024 in orlando, complete dismantling of program

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT