ADVERTISEMENT

Biden Administration congratulates Tawain on their "democratic system" while Biden says "We do not support independence"

It’s contradictory because of China. They’ve made it very clear that they will never accept Taiwanese independence and essentially consider it to be a province in revolt. We support Taiwan; for 30+ years Taiwan still represented China on the Security Council until communist China outmaneuvered the US.

You want our stance on China to be simple; cool. If we did, there’s a good chance it sparks a war.

So arming Taiwan in their defense against China is less provocative than saying we support an independent Taiwan?

Last edited:
This policy has always been crazy to me….but it’s not a Biden thing it’s been the US position for a LONG time.

Frankly I have always hated how we tip toe around China. Similar to how they try to get our movies and stuff changed to meet their desires.

This policy has always been crazy to me….but it’s not a Biden thing it’s been the US position for a LONG time.

Frankly I have always hated how we tip toe around China. Similar to how they try to get our movies and stuff changed to meet their desires.
The latter is because “the dollar” (money in general) has no ethics, no morality what-so-ever. Money is used by moral-less, spiritualist people shallow people to achieve their goals.

lol… so are Republicans back to supporting conflicts in other parts of the world again cuz it seems like all I’ve heard for the past year or so is that we need to stop supporting Ukraine… just let Russia have it… We don’t need another conflict in China. Are we back to being ready to have a conflict with China and sending weapons and financial support to foreign nations?

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
lol… so are Republicans back to supporting conflicts in other parts of the world again cuz it seems like all I’ve heard for the past year or so is that we need to stop supporting Ukraine… just let Russia have it… We don’t need another conflict in China. Are we back to being ready to have a conflict with China and sending weapons and financial support to foreign nations?
I would say most Republicans in the House and the Senate still do support providing aid to Ukraine.

You truly are an abject idiot. Putin was emboldened by Trump and his weakening of NATO that Biden rallied and made stronger than ever.

How on earth is Biden to blame for either of these?

I don’t recall blaming Trump for either.
I love that Chis always gives an example of ridiculousness. Trump didn't get blame although there's chis blaming Trump.

Just like yesterday someone said you're an idiot if you use local weather to describe climate change and there was chis. Doing just that. Lol

I'll ask you.

So arming Taiwan in their defense against China is less provocative than saying we support an independent Tawain?

Last edited:
So arming Tawain in their defense against China is less provocative than saying we support an independent Tawain?

By the non-logic of this situation, yes honestly.

Not arguing it’s altogether rational - some of this is simply a legacy of the Chinese civil war that saw the communists victorious; they want to wipe out what remains of their old for that fled to Taiwan. Some of its also strategic - Chinese control of Taiwan would give them total control over the South China Sea.

Also, if you’re wanting politics to make sense, I’d just concede the war now. It doesn’t even make sense here at home.

I love that Chis always gives an example of ridiculousness. Trump didn't get blame although there's chis blaming Trump.

Just like yesterday someone said you're an idiot if you use local weather to describe climate change and there was chis. Doing just that. Lol

I wasn’t referring to anyone else but myself; hence me saying “I don’t recall blaming Trump”.

Don’t put words in my mouth.

Trump was asking NATO to increase defense spending to levels that are in the signed treaty.
Not in the treaty.

Wales Pledge​

For the first time, the Allies formally pledged to aim to move towards what had previously been an informal guideline based on Article 3 of spending 2% of their gross domestic products on defense, and 20% of that on new equipment.[21] For countries which spend less than 2% they agreed upon that these countries "aim to move towards the 2% guideline within a decade".[9] This pledge was the brainchild of US Secretary of Defence Chuck Hagel.

ZtKgN6Y.png

I'll ask you.

So arming Taiwan in their defense against China is less provocative than saying we support an independent Tawain?
If you mean following what has been US policy for over 50 years - a policy that has maintained an independent and democratic Taiwan while keeping the Chinese on their side of the strait - then the answer is yes. HISTORY demonstrates that it's less provocative since we've been successfully saying and doing the same damn thing for over half a century.

Do YOU advocate abandoning that policy or not? Yes or no. Answer the question that has been posed since the beginning if this thread. I'll add another - if that is, as it seems, the case, what would YOUR policy be?

Reactions: sober_teacher
If you mean following what has been US policy for over 50 years - a policy that has maintained an independent and democratic Taiwan while keeping the Chinese on their side of the strait - then the answer is yes. HISTORY demonstrates that it's less provocative since we've been successfully saying and doing the same damn thing for over half a century.

Do YOU advocate abandoning that policy or not? Yes or no. Answer the question that has been posed since the beginning if this thread. I'll add another - if that is, as it seems, the case, what would YOUR policy be?
On Sunday evening, President Joe Biden made headlines when he asserted in a 60 Minutes interview that the United States would come to Taiwan’s defense if China were to launch an unprovoked attack. His embrace of strategic clarity, however, was not his most notable comment on Taiwan, since this was the fourth time that Biden has articulated such a commitment. Instead, the comment that will raise more alarms in Beijing was Biden’s statement that “Taiwan makes their own judgments about their independence…that’s their decision.” While this comment might seem innocuous, it would mark a significant shift in U.S. policy.

CFR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT