ADVERTISEMENT

Biden calls US ally Japan ‘xenophobic’ along with India, Russia and China

Is he correct? Is Japan welcoming of immigrants?
Japan isn’t and won’t be welcoming of immigrants. Still a dumb thing to say about one of our closest allies.

What purpose does it serve?

It’s also a country the size of California with 125M people in it.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Why is it the Biden's business to place blame on Japan for not accepting immigrants. This is part of the lefts/globalist ideology that drives me nuts. They believe their ideas are the best and every other idea is morally wrong and evil. They preach acceptance and diversity but as soon as they encounter an idea that is different from their own they have to criticize and fight it.

A rational person can make a good argument that not accepting foreigners with different beliefs and ideologies would make Japan a stronger and more cohesive country.

• Love
Reactions: 83Hawk and abby97
The Japanese historically have been one of the most xenophobic cultures/societies on the globe. This is not new news.

According to census statistics in 2018, 97.8% of Japan's population are Japanese, with the remainder being foreign nationals residing in Japan.[1] The number of foreign workers has increased dramatically in recent years, due to the aging population and a shrinking labor force. A news article in 2018 suggests that approximately 1 out of 10 people among the younger population residing in Tokyo are foreign nationals.[2] According to the CIA World Factbook, Japanese make up 98.1% of the population, Chinese 0.5%, and Korean 0.4%, with the remaining 1% representing all other ethnic groups.

Japan lacks any law which prohibits racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination. The country also has no national human rights institutions.[3] Non-Japanese individuals in Japan often face human rights violations that Japanese citizens may not.[4] In recent years, non-Japanese media has reported that Japanese firms frequently confiscate the passportsof guest workers in Japan, particularly unskilled laborers.[5][6]

In the early 20th century, driven by an ideology of Japanese nationalismunder the guise of national unity, the Japanese government identified and forcefully assimilated marginalized populations, which included indigenous Ryukyuans, Ainu, and other underrepresented groups, imposing assimilation programs in language, culture and religion.[7]Japan considers these ethnic groups as a mere "subgroup" of the Japanese people and therefore synonymous to the Yamato people, and does not recognize them as a minority group with a distinct culture.[8][9][10]

So what, doesn't Japan get to decide what type of culture they want and what type of immigration policies they implement? I love people (generally leftists) who believe the way they think is the right way to think and anyone who doesn't agree with them is wrong and maybe even evil.

I'm sure there are advantages to limiting cultural diversity as well as disadvantages. But quite frankly, it is none of our business.

So what, doesn't Japan get to decide what type of culture they want and what type of immigration policies they implement? I love people (generally leftists) who believe the way they think is the right way to think and anyone who doesn't agree with them is wrong and maybe even evil.

I'm sure there are advantages to limiting cultural diversity as well as disadvantages. But quite frankly, it is none of our business.

I honestly don’t understand the mindset from the left on this one.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

Not sure what you’re trying to argue about.

Merely pointing out Japan has been historically and remains among the most xenophobic societies on the globe.

That is not debatable.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97

Merely pointing out Japan has been historically and remains among the most xenophobic societies on the globe.

That is not debatable.
I just dont' think it should be viewed as a negative. Preserving your nations identity matters to some people.

Reactions: Hawk_82 and abby97

That is not debatable.
The term xenophobic is the problem. The term is clearly being used in a judgemental and racist context. Japan can have whatever type of society they want, in case you aren't aware, they are an independent country. Joe Biden's or your, or the authors personal opinion of Japan's immigration philosophy is superfluous.

Reactions: Hawk_82
This Indian xenophobia must be news to the 1000's of techno druggies from all parts of the world that make their semi permanent home in Goa not being bothered by jack shit in India.

Haha, nicely done.
I know that you like to go on about how racist everybody here in Iowa is, but the only people I know(anecdotal, I know) who openly hate black people are from Nepal and India.

I know that you like to go on about how racist everybody here in Iowa is, but the only people I know(anecdotal, I know) who openly hate black people are from Nepal and India.
No kidding. Nepalese eh? You climbing Everest? I hate the Nepalese also.

That is not debatable.
It's like telling a woman they are xenophobic for not sleeping with enough guys of different races. It's just effing stupid. Maybe her standards are just higher than yours.

Or in the case of japan, maybe they like who they are and don't see the benefit of adding other cultures.

Reactions: GOHOX69
It's like telling a woman they are xenophobic for not sleeping with enough guys of different races. It's just effing stupid. Maybe her standards are just higher than yours.

Or in the case of japan, maybe they like who they are and don't see the benefit of adding other cultures.
The reasoning for their xenophobia doesn’t negate the fact of their xenophobia.

The reasoning for their xenophobia doesn’t negate the fact of their xenophobia.
To be xenophobic you need to have fear or aversion to those people. I am not aware that Japan fits either criteria.

In your opinion, are they xenophobic if Japan let's foreigners visit, but not have citizenship? What about if they can live there but Japan doesn't give them free housing or assistance? What are the specific criteria that need to be met not to be xenophobic?

You are framing xenophobia according to how it fits your agenda best. Essentially you think everyone else is xenophobic if they don't do the things you think are important. That's a very self absorbed opinion.

Reactions: abby97
Torbee has a lot of nerve throwing shade on Japan when he knows is extremely xenophobia because he won't let illegal immigrants move into his house.

I just met a guy here that is a unit owner. From Buffalo. Retarded rich but a really cool guy.

the Santa they hired said he wanted $60 more to be here 30 minutes more. This dude walks up to Santa in his Buffalo accent. Takes out a wad of $100s and tells Santa to shut the fuk up and be Santa. Gives him $200

one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen

I miss these days.

I miss these days

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
I miss these days.
cf22f9b5-bee9-464c-bb23-7959409379d8_text.gif

Reactions: Moral
I read that in a Buffalo accent.
I must admit, I'm not even sure what a Buffalo accent is. I work with a couple companies that are in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse areas, and have never picked up on much of an accent when speaking with their employees.

Reactions: Moral

Japanese embassy on Biden calling the country ‘xenophobic': ‘It is unfortunate’​

The embassy also said it raised concerns with administration officials.

The Japanese Embassy on Friday issued a slight rebuke of President Joe Biden for referring to Japan as “xenophobic,” saying it raised concerns with administration officials over the remarks.

“It is unfortunate that some of the comments were not based on an accurate understanding of Japan’s policies,” the embassy said in a statement to POLITICO. “We have raised this point to the U.S. government and explained Japan’s positions and policies once again.”

Reactions: GOHOX69
I deal with Japanese people on a daily basis due to my job. I have also visited the country. The people there are super polite and super nice. Are there some things that are off limits to foreigners? Sure. Why not? It's their culture. Are there off limit places or cultural things in all countries? Duh, yea!

As far as India goes, British folks have established multi-lineage families in India since the 1600's. You know, before the US was a thing.

I'm a Democrat but Joe is losing his mind. And the irony is that he said this shit during a Asian-American fundraising event. Those poor people who paid a thousand per plate had to be shaking their heads.

I deal with Japanese people on a daily basis due to my job. I have also visited the country. The people there are super polite and super nice. Are there some things that are off limits to foreigners? Sure. Why not? It's their culture. Are there off limit places or cultural things in all countries? Duh, yea!

As far as India goes, British folks have established multi-lineage families in India since the 1600's. You know, before the US was a thing.

I'm a Democrat but Joe is losing his mind. And the irony is that he said this shit during a Asian-American fundraising event. Those poor people who paid a thousand per plate had to be shaking their heads.
The thing is it was a totally unnecessary "own goal" whether you agree with his characterization or not. I don't fwiw.

Putting that aside, it serves absolutely no purpose and is a slap in the face of our closest and most important ally in the region. In regards to India, we've been courting them for quite a while to get better relations and they're extremely important in counterbalancing China.

Lumping them in with China and Russia was beyond stupid. Just a really dumb thing to do.

i don't necessarily disagree with any of this

but, like all things that concern me with biden, look at the only other real option. are we now concerned about our leader using the exact right language during discussions with foreign allies and adversaries? because i dont' remember that being a thing for a lot of people

Reactions: torbee and GOHOX69

but, like all things that concern me with biden, look at the only other real option. are we now concerned about our leader using the exact right language during discussions with foreign allies and adversaries? because i dont' remember that being a thing for a lot of people
That's why I am holding my nose and voting for him. The other option is heaps worse.

I don't like over reactions to single incidents, but Biden has made a habit out of having poor foreign relations.

Biden can't make up his mind who he wants to support between Gaza and Israel, he has been very ineffective with Russia and Ukraine, I haven't seen any smart strategic moves against Iran.

All of these issues have happened since Biden took office. Maybe it's time to reevaluate what Biden (and his admin) really stand for and ask yourself if that is really best for you and America.

You don't have to vote for Trump to agree with the statement above. But it is time to move away from Bidens globalist agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT