ADVERTISEMENT

Biden drone strike killed civilians

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016

“The U.S. air strike targeting ISIS-K suicide bombers may have also killed civilians in Kabul, Navy Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command:

"We are aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike on a vehicle in Kabul today,” Urban said in a statement Sunday evening.”

Sounds like children are among the dead. No wonder they aren’t releasing names of who they killed 🤷🏽‍♂️

We really need to stop using drone strikes.

The first step in fighting terrorism should be to stop giving people reasons to hate us.

If my children were killed by some other country's drones, the idea of strapping on a bomb to personally deliver some revenge would seem very attractive. But we blow people up while going after terrorists, kill civilians, and wonder why they hate us.

War is ugly. A handful of dead civilians, or a car bomb that takes out several US soldiers, which do you want? I am glad Biden is getting us out of there.

I'll risk the car bomb.

Any recognized rules of war puts the lives of civilians ahead of the lives of military personnel.

Of course generally speaking most of those rules are treated as guidelines anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Separately, a U.S. official said the drone fired a Hellfire missile at a vehicle in a compound between two buildings when individuals were seen loading explosives into the trunk.

The official said there was an initial explosion caused by the missile, followed by a much larger fireball, believed to be the result of the substantial amount of explosives inside the vehicle. In his statement, Urban said those powerful subsequent explosions may have caused civilian casualties.

I mean-its a car bomb getting ready to head that way that they hit and it exploded. What else can they do? Some of you are beyond ridiculous with all of this. I can only imagine the joy, and I am using that word correctly, many of the posters here would have if this instead had reached it's destination and more US troops were killed. There would be a 7 page thread on it gleefully blaming Sleepy Joe.

I mean-its a car bomb getting ready to head that way that they hit and it exploded. What else can they do? Some of you are beyond ridiculous with all of this. I can only imagine the joy, and I am using that word correctly, many of the posters here would have if this instead had reached it's destination and more US troops were killed. There would be a 7 page thread on it gleefully blaming Sleepy Joe.
It's horrible but I think the strike was the right move. The last bomber killed hundreds. This one killed dozens. It's an environment so toxic that you're forced to choose between these two.

Agreed, this is about as good as we can hope for at this point. Civilians would have died either way. War sucks.

I'll risk the car bomb.

Any recognized rules of war puts the lives of civilians ahead of the lives of military personnel.

Of course generally speaking most of those rules are treated as guidelines anyways.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. Trying to play by rules leads to never ending war. They don't have any rules. The North Vietcong didn't have rules.

We end up having civilian casualties and refugees anyway, but just spread over many years. We need to fight war as if it's war, and fight to win.

War is ugly. A handful of dead civilians, or a car bomb that takes out several US soldiers, which do you want? I am glad Biden is getting us out of there.
And 169 Afghanistan people.
Collateral damage is a case of a war torn country.
You can stand around and let extremists kill lots of people in trying to kill American solders
or you can attempt to get them first and cut down on losses.

Reactions: ghost80
Pro Tip: If you see terrorists loading up a vehicle full of explosives, you should leave the area immediately.

tenor.gif

Reactions: GES4
Well maybe if over the past decade or more those civilians would've not hid their terrorist family/friends/countrymen, they wouldn't have been in this position. The only way Afghanistan is being fixed is a complete wipe out and no one has the balls to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonrann
So, SO true! Deaths are only important to a MAGAt if they can be exploited for political points.

Not to mention the civilians that would be killed if the car bomb had reached its destination.

Reactions: noleclone2
So, SO true! Deaths are only important to a MAGAt if they can be exploited for political points.

Stop with your total BS. You tick turds were all up in Bush's grill over Civilian deaths under his watch. But today, oh well, casualties of war. STFU

BTW, civilians would have been killed whether we him them like we did, or if the car bomb would have made it to its destination.

Asshat

Agree we need to be out of there. But if you think Drone Strikes in Afghanistan will be a thing of the past once we are out, you're being naive.
Your naive comment aside, I would hope that drone strikes would largely disappear after we fully leave. Waging a new war on ISIS makes little sense at this point.

Your naive comment aside, I would hope that drone strikes would largely disappear after we fully leave. Waging a new war on ISIS makes little sense at this point.

My naïve comment? You can hope all you want. They are going to continue.

That wasn't you during the Bush years.

You're a one trick pony.
Oh, you mean blaming the person/administration directly responsible for these foreign occupations and nation building debacles? Calling out every mess he made along the way? And that I'm not going to blame the President getting us out of this mess in the same way? Guilty as charged.

Reactions: noleclone2
I'll have to respectfully disagree. Trying to play by rules leads to never ending war. They don't have any rules. The North Vietcong didn't have rules.

We end up having civilian casualties and refugees anyway, but just spread over many years. We need to fight war as if it's war, and fight to win.

The main caveat I’ll add from our side of this is that I will never accept it if we learned that our military deliberately targeted civilians. Because of where terrorists typically operate, civilian casualties will always be tragically unavoidable in a military strike.

The main caveat I’ll add from our side of this is that I will never accept it if we learned that our military deliberately targeted civilians. Because of where terrorists typically operate, civilian casualties will always be tragically unavoidable in a military strike.
Good post. How do we know who's a civilian when no one is wearing a uniform?

Agree we need to be out of there. But if you think Drone Strikes in Afghanistan will be a thing of the past once we are out, you're being naive.
Yeah, neocons will need to gin up a response to our killing to justify our next wave of killing, so we’ll probably keep killing people in Afghanistan
Oh, you mean blaming the person/administration directly responsible for these foreign occupations and nation building debacles? Calling out every mess he made along the way? And that I'm not going to blame the President getting us out of this mess in the same way? Guilty as charged.
Biden was there working in favor of the invasions and occupations.
He was the one who husbanded Bush’s Iraq war authorization through the Senate.

He deserves credit for acknowledging the futility of it and putting an end to it, but he also already earned credit for initiating it. That doesn’t get erased.

Good post. How do we know who's a civilian when no one is wearing a uniform?
Definitely part of the rub for sure. The best we can probably ask our guys to do is when a bad guy has been ID’d, try and look for a window where he’ll have fewer civilians around him. Otherwise, the the threat is deemed suitably imminent, and/or they don’t know the next time they will get a shot at him, they might just have to pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Reactions: Finance85

“The U.S. air strike targeting ISIS-K suicide bombers may have also killed civilians in Kabul, Navy Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command:

"We are aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike on a vehicle in Kabul today,” Urban said in a statement Sunday evening.”

Sounds like children are among the dead. No wonder they aren’t releasing names of who they killed 🤷🏽‍♂️
From a semantics standpoint, is it really the US killing the civilians if the US kills a terrorist with a bunch of explosives and the explosives then kill the civilians?

Terrorist chose to bring these things on when they cowardly use innocents as human shields. Sad that innocent lives were lost but dropping the hammer on this car bomb regardless of where it was hiding and who it was using as a human shield was the right move.

From a semantics standpoint, is it really the US killing the civilians if the US kills a terrorist with a bunch of explosives and the explosives then kill the civilians?
At least domestically, we need to do a better job of understanding the difference between deliberately killing civilians and civilian casualties as collateral because they were in the wrong place/wrong time, or we missed, or something.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Yeah, neocons will need to gin up a response to our killing to justify our next wave of killing, so we’ll probably keep killing people in Afghanistan

He deserves credit for acknowledging the futility of it and putting an end to it, but he also already earned credit for initiating it. That doesn’t get erased.

Menace will never criticize a Dem for this. This the one trick pony comment.

• Haha
Reactions: unsubstantiated

I can't argue with any of that. Though, apparently, he pressured Obama to get out. So credit there.

We really need to stop using drone strikes.

The first step in fighting terrorism should be to stop giving people reasons to hate us.

If my children were killed by some other country's drones, the idea of strapping on a bomb to personally deliver some revenge would seem very attractive. But we blow people up while going after terrorists, kill civilians, and wonder why they hate us.
I'm sorry that innocent people were killed by this drone. However war is ugly and never clean and there is no way to wage war without death.

As for your second statement that we should stop giving radical Islamists a reason to hate us, are you kidding? Please explain to me what eastern Europeans did to make Islamists hate them to cause them to kill and enslave them in the 15th century? What did the sailors and merchants do in the 18th century to make the Islamists hate them and cause them to steal their cargo and enslave the sailors? What did the passengers on those American flights do to cause the Islamists to fly their passenger planes into buildings? And what have their own women done to cause Islamists to deny them an education, and/or beat them, behead them, and cover them from head to toe?

Islamists have been killing and enslaving people for a millennia, they believe Allah gives them the right. Stop trying to apply your modern sensibilities to the thought process of a splinter branch of Islam that wants to take the world back to the 8th century.

We are not at fault.....

I'm sorry that innocent people were killed by this drone. However war is ugly and never clean and there is no way to wage war without death.

As for your second statement that we should stop giving radical Islamists a reason to hate us, are you kidding? Please explain to me what eastern Europeans did to make Islamists hate them to cause them to kill and enslave them in the 15th century? What did the sailors and merchants do in the 18th century to make the Islamists hate them and cause them to steal their cargo and enslave the sailors? What did the passengers on those American flights do to cause the Islamists to fly their passenger planes into buildings? And what have their own women done to cause Islamists to deny them an education, and/or beat them, behead them, and cover them from head to toe?

Islamists have been killing and enslaving people for a millennia, they believe Allah gives them the right. Stop trying to apply your modern sensibilities to the thought process of a splinter branch of Islam that wants to take the world back to the 8th century.

We are not at fault.....

Look I'm not saying their specific theology is something we are at fault for.

But I'm also guessing that a lot of people are attracted to these groups because of legitimate beefs they have had with the west.

It just so happens that the guys handing out the bombs are the guys who want to take their country back to the 8th century. But they would probably have a lot less people willing to take those bombs if we didn't give them cause.

Reactions: sober_teacher
My concern is protecting Americans first. As mentioned earlier war is hell but the lesser of two evils is to make sure American lives aren't lost.

So it sucks a lot children had to die but a tough call was made that probably saved even more children if the strike hadn't happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT