ADVERTISEMENT

Biden leads Iowa caucus poll

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Former Vice President Joe Biden leads the pack among likely Democratic caucusgoers in Iowa, according to a CNN/Des Moines Register poll released Saturday.

The poll shows Biden leading among a field of 20 potential candidates, followed by Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and Texas Representative Beto O’Rourke. The poll asked likely caucusgoers who their top choice for president would be among potential candidates for their party’s nomination.

The Iowa poll found 32 percent of likely caucusgoers prefer Biden, with 19 percent selecting Sanders as their first choice, and O’Rourke at 11 percent. Featured lower in the list of possible Democrats were Senators Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris and Cory Booker.

The Iowa caucuses are the first nominating contest in the quadrennial U.S. presidential race. Winning there is no guarantee, though, that a candidate will go on to secure the party’s nomination, since the people who participate in the event are not especially representative of the party’s supporters nationwide, or even in Iowa.

For example, Senator Ted Cruz of Texas beat the eventual nominee Donald Trump in the 2016 Iowa Republican caucus, while in 2008 former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson each got more votes than the party’s eventual nominee, Senator John McCain.

Still, the caucuses can have a winnowing effect, especially in a crowded field. That may be especially pertinent for the 2020 race, in which a large number of Democrats have expressed interest in running against Trump or are considered likely to do so.

And an unexpectedly strong showing can bestow a sense of credibility and momentum upon a candidate, as demonstrated by Barack Obama’s victory in 2008 at the start of a drawn-out primary battle against Hillary Clinton.

Iowa’s caucuses are also notoriously difficult to predict, especially more than 400 days before the Feb. 3, 2020, event. Unlike a traditional vote in a private ballot booth, caucuses consist of party members gathering and then attempting to sway each other’s choices.

The Iowa poll has been conducted by the Des Moines Register since 1943.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nders-o-rourke-in-iowa-democratic-caucus-poll

Just another reason not to let Iowa vote first.
Iowa does not "vote" first.....Iowa (Democrats, atleast) caucus....as part of the caucus, each precinct chooses delegates for their county convention. To be viable, a candidate must garner a minimum of 15% of the votes and based on Party numbers, delegates are chosen for the county convention. Candidates with less than the 15% minimum must either be declared "unattached" or form up with another viable candidate.
I don't know how the GOPers do it....some type of straw vote?
Trad....these national folks have damn little clue as to what goes on in an Iowa caucus. But it ain't any type of organized "count your votes" vote. You have to live it to understand it.....usually many times.

Iowa does not "vote" first.....Iowa (Democrats, atleast) caucus....as part of the caucus, each precinct chooses delegates for their county convention. To be viable, a candidate must garner a minimum of 15% of the votes and based on Party numbers, delegates are chosen for the county convention. Candidates with less than the 15% minimum must either be declared "unattached" or form up with another viable candidate.
I don't know how the GOPers do it....some type of straw vote?
Trad....these national folks have damn little clue as to what goes on in an Iowa caucus. But it ain't any type of organized "count your votes" vote. You have to live it to understand it.....usually many times.

I know, I did some delegate action last time around. However, no one else in any other state thinks anything but "so-and-so won Iowa."

Reactions: naturalmwa
I think he's only 4 years older than Trump. I'd take Biden, he would do a good job.
Agreed. Would be better than Cory Booker or Beto. We wouldn’t get sold a bag gold only to get a lump of coal like we did with Obama. Biden would do very well agaIsn’t Trump in debates.

Reactions: SIXERS24
Agreed. Would be better than Cory Booker or Beto. We wouldn’t get sold a bag gold only to get a lump of coal like we did with Obama. Biden would do very well agaIsn’t Trump in debates.

You almost need a guy like Biden to face Trump. Biden's almost done and can say whatever he wants. Doesn't need to worry about getting in the mud with Trump.

I'd give it 50/50 that Biden lives long enough to accept the nomination.....

Tulsi Gabbard or bust for me. If she's not the candidate, I'll be voting for the best third party candidate. The Democrats need to do better than this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT