ADVERTISEMENT

Biden to propose new $5,000 tax credit for first-time home buyers

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
President Biden will propose a set of new housing initiatives in Thursday’s State of the Union address, including tax credits to offset high mortgage rates for first-time home buyers and encourage people to move out of starter homes and put them on the market.

Get a curated selection of 10 of our best stories in your inbox every weekend.

The proposals would provide middle-class, first-time buyers with $5,000 per year for two years. That would have the same effect as lowering a buyer’s mortgage rate by more than 1.5 percentage points for two years on the median home, according to the White House.

Biden will also call on Congress to provide a one-year credit of up to $10,000 for families who sell their starter homes, so long as their houses are below the median price in their county. The idea is to free up a part of the market that has been effectively frozen, as thousands of homeowners cling to low mortgages of 2 or 3 percent and avoid buying a new home with a much higher rate.
Rent is driving inflation. But there’s something off in the data.
The proposals build on the administration’s prior moves to build more homes, tackle high rents and help first-generation buyers get a down payment. And the moves come as housing persists as one of the most out-of-reach parts of the economy, and remains a key issue for voters in this year’s election.

“This plan is the most consequential set of housing recommendations in a State of a Union in over 50 years, and I say that because I've looked them all up,” said David Dworkin, president and chief executive officer of the National Housing Conference and a former Treasury Department official.
A job? Check. A place to live? Not so much.
Dworkin stressed that the administration’s most consequential housing plan was its commitment to build and preserve 2 million homes.
“We have a huge hole this would make a big dent in,” he said. “The supply side is driving housing prices, and this is the most ambitious housing supply agenda in recent history.”
The housing market has been strained from many directions. The country faces a shortfall of millions of homes, with underinvestment going back decades. Rents also soared during the pandemic, quickly becoming a top driver of inflation. Plus, the Federal Reserve’s fight to tame inflation prompted a rise in mortgage rates that continue to push many buyers out of the market.

Zoomed out even further, Biden’s efforts will also be tested by the strange nature of the post-pandemic market. Hundreds of thousands of new units finished construction last year. But much of it skews toward the higher end of the market, and housing experts have grown concerned about a simultaneous hollowing out of more affordable options. Senior White House officials argue many of the White House’s efforts target affordable housing and are designed to open up options for middle-class buyers.

“President Biden will lay out the boldest plan to lower housing costs and expand housing access in decades,” Lael Brainard, director of the National Economic Council, said in a statement. “He’ll call on Congress to pass his plan to unlock the housing market by providing mortgage relief to first-time home buyers and homeowners selling their starter homes and to support private sector construction of 2 million homes, while taking new administrative actions to lower closing costs and make our rental markets fairer.”

Worthless marxist scum! Vote buying and giveaways at its finest as $5k is not going to make the difference between buying and not buying a home....never mind the fact there is nothing for 1st timers to buy.

Worthless marxist scum! Vote buying and giveaways at its finest as $5k is not going to make the difference between buying and not buying a home....never mind the fact there is nothing for 1st timers to buy.
Again, the Fed has been propping up the mortgage industry for 15 years through 4 administrations. If you're going to accuse Biden of anything, you'd better be willing to point the finger at Bush Jr, Obama, and Trump, as well.

Again, the Fed has been propping up the mortgage industry for 15 years through 4 administrations. If you're going to accuse Biden of anything, you'd better be willing to point the finger at Bush Jr, Obama, and Trump, as well.
0boma is the only one of the three to give cash freebies to buyers, no?

0boma is the only one of the three to give cash freebies to buyers, no?
No. That is flat wrong. The Federal government has been giving out money to first time homebuyers, managed through state agencies called Housing Finance Authorities (HFAs), since before I was in the business, so since even before Bill Clinton was president.

Then, after the mortgage meltdown in 2008-2009, the Fed started buying back bonds to keep interest rates artificially low. This started under Bush, continued through Obama and Trump's presidencies, and was finally rolled back under Biden. That's a big reason that mortgage rates are so much higher in the last couple years. If anything, I'd criticize Biden for cutting off the government's money too fast, causing rates to rise too quickly in 2023.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here.

No. That is flat wrong. The Federal government has been giving out money to first time homebuyers, managed through state agencies called Housing Finance Authorities (HFAs), since before I was in the business, so since even before Bill Clinton was president.

Then, after the mortgage meltdown in 2008-2009, the Fed started buying back bonds to keep interest rates artificially low. This started under Bush, continued through Obama and Trump's presidencies, and was finally rolled back under Biden. That's a big reason that mortgage rates are so much higher in the last couple years. If anything, I'd criticize Biden for cutting off the government's money too fast, causing rates to rise too quickly in 2023.

That's right, they have! So why does jo come up the $5k bonus on the eve of an election? 🤡

a_KCDy.gif

Reactions: IACub
You really have no ability to have an intelligent conversation, do you?
Listen....I get that you're a mortgage lender who fleeces Pat and Sally Public out of an origination fee and god knows how many junk fees by providing a "service" they could do for themselves for a fraction of the cost online. That doesn't make you an expert in anything related to the ebbs and flows of interest rates......any more than a used car salesmen can repair a transmission.....

Listen....I get that you're a mortgage lender who fleeces Pat and Sally Public out of an origination fee and god knows how many junk fees by providing a "service" they could do for themselves for a fraction of the cost online. That doesn't make you an expert in anything related to the ebbs and flows of interest rates......any more than a used car salesmen can repair a transmission.....
LOL, you're an idiot. The Iowa City market is one of the lowest cost fee areas in the nation. Good luck with your online lender with 3x the closing costs. If I was charging any "junk fees" in this market, I wouldn't have lasted a year. I've spent a career providing a service, and I'm proud to have past clients sending their kids to me for their first mortgage.

And yes, 20 years in the industry watching rates and knowing what effects them so that I can give my clients solid advice does make me an expert on the ebbs and flows of interest rates. I'd say I know more about it than 99% of people in America.

LOL, you're an idiot. The Iowa City market is one of the lowest cost fee areas in the nation. Good luck with your online lender with 3x the closing costs. If I was charging any "junk fees" in this market, I wouldn't have lasted a year. I've spent a career providing a service, and I'm proud to have past clients sending their kids to me for their first mortgage.

And yes, 20 years in the industry watching rates and knowing what effects them so that I can give my clients solid advice does make me an expert on the ebbs and flows of interest rates. I'd say I know more about it than 99% of people in America.
Let me know when you step up to hedge fund management! You can get an online mortgage for less than a grand in lender fees, Hoss.

Let me know when you step up to hedge fund management! You can get an online mortgage for less than a grand in lender fees, Hoss.
Define what "lender fees" even mean in that scenario. Does that include title insurance? Recording fees? Origination fees for a rate lock? That feels like a deceptive term to get around telling their clients what the actual closing costs will be.

You can come crawling to me when that deal blows up a week before closing.

I seem to (dimly) recall the Ford Administration doing something similar for first time buyers back in ‘75??
I’ll have to Google it.

You lost me with this entire paragraph in bold. I am assuming you are talking about quantitative easing. If you are, it stopped in 2014 but did start again in March of 2020. The covid QE stopped in March of 2022.
Also. QE coming to an end has nothing to do with any president so I am not sure why you would criticize Biden for stopping it. It isn't anything he has any control over. One last thing. They should have stopped quantitative easing long before they actually did. Like mid 2021 as QE is probably are biggest reason for all the inflation we have seen.

I seem to (dimly) recall the Ford Administration doing something similar for first time buyers back in ‘75??
I’ll have to Google it.

Ford was before my time, but there was a first time homebuyer credit in place early in Obama's first term in response to the real estate crash at that time; it started in 2008 and ran through most of 2010.
It started in April 2008; through the end of that year, you could get a "credit" of 10% of the purchase price, up to $7500; however, it wasn't really a credit - it was essentially a zero-interest loan that you had to pay back over 15 years. In 2009 & 2010, they changed the rules & made it a true credit that did not have to be paid back. It was really unfair to those who'd bought in 2008 (IMO).

Reactions: goldmom

The reason mortgage rates are so much higher is because the money supply increased over 40% in two years. Yes, this was in 2020 under Trump and 2021 under Biden. The increase in the money supply caused inflation forcing JP to shrink the Fed's balance sheet and raise interest rates.

However, I would love to hear your thoughts on how Biden cut off the governments money.

Causing the price of homes to rise even more.

Realtors “don’t worry about the payment, the interest is deductible”. Now they can add “well, you get $5000 back so don’t even count that”.

Require 20% down and don’t have the interest deductible is what should happen.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

Realtors “don’t worry about the payment, the interest is deductible”. Now they can add “well, you get $5000 back so don’t even count that”.

And watch the demand for houses and their relative value fall off a cliff.

How does one know if you are a first time buyer? Or that you are selling a starter home?

I’m pretty sure for most Americans their mortgage interest doesn’t exceed their standard deduction, so that isn’t even part of the equation.

Last edited:

According to Forbes, the Iowa median home sales price is 229k. 20% of that is nearly $46,000. Median household income is about 64,000. That’s median. So you’re asking a household to save up approximately a years net wages before they can buy a house? That’s unreasonable. To put it in perspective, I bought the house I live in now for 87,000 in 1998. We put 10,000 down which was about 25% of our net income. There would be near.y no homes sold to first time buyers. Even more homes would be bought by corporations to rent for exorbitant Amounts.

jo and his party of marx, smashed through $34.5 trillion in US debt this morning on their way to that glorious figure of $40,000,000,000,000 in the hole!! You are watching a historic and intentional implosion of what was once the world's greatest economy and nation...."fundamentally changed" forever, per Huessein 0boma!

LOL sOlViNg prObLeMs sHouLd bE fReE!!!
Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for Biden handouts.

My son is looking for a house, and it will be his first, so he would benefit. I'd prefer to give him $5,000 than have this taxpayer handout. Government deficit spending and energy policies are responsible for consumer inflation.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for Biden handouts.

My son is looking for a house, and it will be his first, so he would benefit. I'd prefer to give him $5,000 than have this taxpayer handout. Government deficit spending and energy policies are responsible for consumer inflation.
Benefit, yes, but for how many, will this $5k handout actually be the difference between buying a home and not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT