ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten East vs Big Ten West

hawkedoff

HR Legend
Jul 25, 2013
More than the championship....

Keep hearing how the west has been the weakest division in college football. Let's look at the facts. Outside the championship game the east beats the west on average one to two extra games per year. Total record is 77-70 favoring tge East for a whopping .524 win percentage. The record is 40-37 since 2018. The championship has been lopsided as Ohio State and Michigan tends to beat everyone in that game but the overall record is inclusive of the championship and the the 2 blue bloods beating everyone.

No.

There being 2 dominant blue bloods that win the majority of everything doesn't make the Big Ten West weak. The west is absolutely competitive with the east and has won plenty. This bullshit narrative isn't supported by facts at all
It’s been spewed by the talking heads at esecpn to push their agenda, only the smooth brains actually believe it.

Bowl games mean nothing. Zilch
They mean a lot. Sorry but you talk to any player at Iowa and they are excited to be going to a solid bowl game. Plus extra practice, exposure, etc. If they mean nothing why did Iowa have 2 first round draft picks playing last year? I'm sure that helps you but not only is it great tv but you get to see how good some coaches are. Like Harbaugh dropping the ball against TCU. Michigan was so superior to that team but was out coached. Or under coached with that crappy game plan he had.

Reactions: pmtdc and hawkedoff
Agree with OP. The discussion shouldn't be west vs east, it should be Michigan/OSU and everyone else. (I purposely didn't put PSU in the former)
Or Alabama and Georgia against everyone else in the SEC and the country. Funny how those 2 teams mean the sec is the best in the country. They best everyone in the sec and yet when they beat Ohio state or Michigan or any other team in the country that somehow translates to the sec being the best overall.

ESPN has and has had a financial incentive to push the sec narrative and has been doing so for 15 years. It becomes self fulfilling in terms of where players to based on the propaganda.

The big ten west has held their own against the east and every other conference in the country. It isn't weak at all

After all of this time, it's back to being the Big 2 and the rest. The more things change, the more they stay the same. We'll see starting next year how that holds. UCLA appears to be the weakest of the four. The other three are certainly confident that they'll have much success.

No.

There being 2 dominant blue bloods that win the majority of everything doesn't make the Big Ten West weak. The west is absolutely competitive with the east and has won plenty. This bullshit narrative isn't supported by facts at all
Iowa got destroyed by the 3rd best team in the east, those are facts

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc

Keep hearing how the west has been the weakest division in college football. Let's look at the facts. Outside the championship game the east beats the west on average one to two extra games per year. Total record is 77-70 favoring tge East for a whopping .524 win percentage. The record is 40-37 since 2018. The championship has been lopsided as Ohio State and Michigan tends to beat everyone in that game but the overall record is inclusive of the championship and the the 2 blue bloods beating everyone.

Fact. East has won every championship and usually blows out the West

With the four new teams joining the B1G, maybe the East and West divisions should have been kept. USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Nebraska ,Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. Let's see a Washington/ Michigan CCG!

Reactions: hawkedoff

Do you realize the story you are using for the numbers presented was from January 2022, i.e., these past two seasons are not included?

One could also look at how the top one (or two or three) teams have fared against the top teams in the other divisions.

One stat not mentioned is how many ranked opponents were missed as being an opponent due to scheduling rotations.

I presented it has a factual statement. How did you read it?
Sure....

You presented a factual so what statement. The point is that the east has not been this overwhelming dominant force against the west even when the championship games are taken into account. They are about even despite the message that the west is tge weakest division in college football. It just isn't true.

The east has the three strongest traditional powers in the big ten and win the championship games....but those teams are supposed to win. Iowa has beaten all three and lost to all three. We most certainly are not an automatic win for any of those programs.

• Love
Reactions: F5n5
Do you realize the story you are using for the numbers presented was from January 2022, i.e., these past two seasons are not included?

One could also look at how the top one (or two or three) teams have fared against the top teams in the other divisions.

One stat not mentioned is how many ranked opponents were missed as being an opponent due to scheduling rotations.
The numbers are the numbers and I didn't write the article.

Your argument about missing ranked opponents is meaningless

Sure....

You presented a factual so what statement. The point is that the east has not been this overwhelming dominant force against the west even when the championship games are taken into account. They are about even despite the message that the west is tge weakest division in college football. It just isn't true.

The east has the three strongest traditional powers in the big ten and win the championship games....but those teams are supposed to win. Iowa has beaten all three and lost to all three. We most certainly are not an automatic win for any of those programs.
And what do you think the line will be?

They mean a lot. Sorry but you talk to any player at Iowa and they are excited to be going to a solid bowl game. Plus extra practice, exposure, etc. If they mean nothing why did Iowa have 2 first round draft picks playing last year? I'm sure that helps you but not only is it great tv but you get to see how good some coaches are. Like Harbaugh dropping the ball against TCU. Michigan was so superior to that team but was out coached. Or under coached with that crappy game plan he had.
Iowa got destroyed by the 3rd best team in the east, those are facts
Ohio State got destroyed by 5th place West division Purdue in 2018. Guess that proved the west was stronger that year?

And what do you think the line will be?
Why would that have any meaning at all? Maybe you don't understand how Lines are set and why.

What was the line when Michigan lost to Iowa when they were ranked top 5?

That you think the line has any meaning at all to the overall strength or weakness by comparison to the east vs west divisions is a wonderful demonstration of how deeply the propaganda has worked on you.

What is the overall winning percentage of the east vs the west? The east wins about 52 percent of the time. Dominating

PSU fan here, pulling for Iowa to have the upset, but... there's absolutely no chance a Hawks win. Looked at common Big10 opponents, not good! In those games Michigan averaged 35 ppg, holding the opponents to an average of 7 ppg. Iowa in those same games, averaged 13 ppg, while holding their opponents to 12 ppg. These were 6 common Big 10 games, and remember, Michigan called off the dogs in those games by late in the 3rd quarter or early 4th. Pains me to say this, as a fan of college football, I wish Ohio State would play them again this weekend for the Big 10 championship.

PSU fan here, pulling for Iowa to have the upset, but... there's absolutely no chance a Hawks win. Looked at common Big10 opponents, not good! In those games Michigan averaged 35 ppg, holding the opponents to an average of 7 ppg. Iowa in those same games, averaged 13 ppg, while holding their opponents to 12 ppg. These were 6 common Big 10 games, and remember, Michigan called off the dogs in those games by late in the 3rd quarter or early 4th. Pains me to say this, as a fan of college football, I wish Ohio State would play them again this weekend for the Big 10 championship.
You seem to have us figured out. Your logic is solid. Im guessing about 38-3

Reactions: blmr31 and Iron Doc
The realist’s here know that. I hate to be so pessimistic, but we have no chance.

• Sad
Reactions: blmr31 and Iron Doc
Why do bowl games mean nothing? Sure players sit out but that impacts both teams and on average should even out. My guess is that Michigan has lost its last six bowl games in a row and is 2 and 9 in the last 11. Now I understand your dislike for bowl games.

If they were 9-2 in that stretch I have a feeling they would mean a lot more

But not Penn State? Weird thing to wish

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT