ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten recruiting budgets

Iowa pulls a majority of recruits from Iowa and Illinois resulting in less $ spent. More of a concern is the NIL where $ will buy players and wins, sort of like the Yankees back in the day.
Except that this doesn't jive at all with what we used to hear, and I wonder seriously about its accuracy. I remember one of these several years ago that said Iowa had one of the largest recruiting budgets in the B1G. Iowa doesn't recruit "regionally" anymore then anyone else in the country. Maryland and Rutgers as example get ALOT of their players right in their own back yard. Maryland in the DC area, and Rutgers Jersey and the east coast. Whether they land them or not Iowa certainly recruits Florida, Georgia, east coast heavily and has made more of a push in California.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Except that this doesn't jive at all with what we used to hear, and I wonder seriously about its accuracy. I remember one of these several years ago that said Iowa had one of the largest recruiting budgets in the B1G. Iowa doesn't recruit "regionally" anymore then anyone else in the country. Maryland and Rutgers as example get ALOT of their players right in their own back yard. Maryland in the DC area, and Rutgers Jersey and the east coast. Whether they land them or not Iowa certainly recruits Florida, Georgia, east coast heavily and has made more of a push in California.
Agreed…I’m not sold on the accuracy of this budget story.

Yikes, indeed. Funny how our recruiting $ ranking and offensive ranking are so similar.
Again if there is any accuracy to this. Just a few years ago we supposedly had one of the top three recruiting budgets. And as I pointed out the statement that we spend less then others because we recruit more "regionally" is totally hogwash. We may sign more midwest players but we still recruit nationally....

Not the only reason and maybe not the main driver, but Iowa is more intentional in handing out offers than other schools. Rather than blasting out hoards of offers, it seems the Iowa staff and strategy is to really do a ton of diligence up front on the player before spending a lot of $$$ to entertain them.

It also would seem Iowa is more about “football” when bringing recruits on campus as opposed to “flash” like the huge money that gets thrown around for the Manning kid.

I’m not suggesting that I wouldn’t like to see more spent to continue to increase recruiting success. Just that the data itself may be a little deceiving. And as noted above, how we grow and compete with NIL will be even more important going forward.

Iowa makes $100 million or so on their TV rights iirc so only .5% on recruiting doesnt seem right

I've always heard Iowa was near the bottom of the conference for this which wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's true. They should be near the top if they are serious about overcoming these disadvantages Kirk regularly brings up

Reactions: SheepHumpingHawkeye
I haven't looked, but can this also depend on the year? Some years more of our recruiting is in the Midwest, other years we will branch out to FL, GA, etc.

Reactions: nu2u
I've always heard Iowa was near the bottom of the conference for this which wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's true. They should be near the top if they are serious about overcoming these disadvantages Kirk regularly brings up
Thats not what I've heard at all. As I said one of these a couple of years ago had posters bitching about the lack of results when we were one of the biggest spenders. (Go figure). Also you can spend all the $$ you want. That doesn't guarantee results, especially when your trying to overcome the cache of OSU , Michigan, and PSU.

• Haha
This is an old horse that hasn't just been beaten to death, but ground into dog food. Not surprising from who posted it though.

As kentadel mentioned, Iowa recruits regionally and doesn't hand out offers like candy as some other schools do, which attributes to far lower numbers. They often require kids to visit to earn an offer, which not only is fair to them, but tells the staff if the kid is serious about their interest or not. If they're not willing to visit to earn an offer, they're not likely to commit to Iowa in the first place.

It would be a big deal if it were actively hurting our recruiting, but based on our recruiting results of the past several years (especially since Barnes became recruiting director), it's clearly not.

Iowa makes $100 million or so on their TV rights iirc so only .5% on recruiting doesnt seem right
The new TV contract has not kicked in yet.
I believe this year the TV deal pays less than 50 million

Well, Maryland and Rutgers (and others) are certainly not getting their money's worth. And Michigan had to double OSU to finally beat them

• Haha
giphy.gif

Well, Maryland and Rutgers (and others) are certainly not getting their money's worth. And Michigan had to double OSU to finally beat them
Hence my comment, that spending more $$ as both east coast schools are over Iowa, doesn't guarantee results. Recruiting the last 3 or 4 years has been pretty solid, other then the same skill positions we always struggle with....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT