ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Schedules

cedarvalleykid14

All-Conference
Jun 7, 2015
Just curious, so peeked at Minnesota. The Gophers will have at least FOUR night games. As opposed to opening with an Illinois State, they open vs. TCU, so I guess the gophers aren't a developmental team. And the week before Minnesota travels to Iowa City, the Gophers play @ Ohio State.

Northwestern, clearly not a developmental team, opens by hosting Stanford. I guess the nerd schools don't mind playing one another because NW's third game is @ Duke. Of course, there's no way Iowa could convince a Stanford to visit Iowa City once they've experienced Welsh-Ryan Field. And the week before NW hosts Iowa, they play @ Michigan, and they play @ Nebraska the week after meeting Iowa.

Wisconsin, of course, opens with Alabama, then plays Hawaii the week before hosting the Hawkeyes.

Nebraska opens by hosting BYU and plays @ Miami of Florida in the third game. Nebraska has an open date the week before hosting the Hawkeyes.

That is all.

You weaken the point you are trying to make (weak Iowa schedule) by including references to other conference games. Iowa cannot control their conference schedule.

Except that I wasn't making any particular point beyond stating some facts about the schedules other Big Ten teams are playing this year, and most of those facts deal with the nonconference aspect. If you wish to make a point, please do, but don't try to make mine for me.

Except that I wasn't making any particular point beyond stating some facts about the schedules other Big Ten teams are playing this year, and most of those facts deal with the nonconference aspect.

So "As opposed to opening with an Illinois State, they open vs. TCU, so I guess the gophers aren't a developmental team" had no editorial in it? Just a fact, right?

Except that I wasn't making any particular point beyond stating some facts about the schedules other Big Ten teams are playing this year, and most of those facts deal with the nonconference aspect. If you wish to make a point, please do, but don't try to make mine for me.
So what is your point?

Just curious, so peeked at Minnesota. The Gophers will have at least FOUR night games. As opposed to opening with an Illinois State, they open vs. TCU, so I guess the gophers aren't a developmental team. And the week before Minnesota travels to Iowa City, the Gophers play @ Ohio State.

Northwestern, clearly not a developmental team, opens by hosting Stanford. I guess the nerd schools don't mind playing one another because NW's third game is @ Duke. Of course, there's no way Iowa could convince a Stanford to visit Iowa City once they've experienced Welsh-Ryan Field. And the week before NW hosts Iowa, they play @ Michigan, and they play @ Nebraska the week after meeting Iowa.

Wisconsin, of course, opens with Alabama, then plays Hawaii the week before hosting the Hawkeyes.

Nebraska opens by hosting BYU and plays @ Miami of Florida in the third game. Nebraska has an open date the week before hosting the Hawkeyes.

That is all.

Geez some posters will go to any lengths.

They have TCU while we have Ill St?

They have Ohio, Kent State and Co. State.

Think sometimes people forget they schedule these teams 4-5 years in advance. So minus the Ohio st and Alabamas of the world most of the time you have no clue, in this case tcu, that they'd be so good this year. 5 years ago some could argue Pitt would have been a more flashier, tougher non conf game. Sure Minnesota didn't anticipate about them being preseason top 5.

With the ill st game basically every power 5 team has some fcs or easy team on their schedule. Just so happens it's iowas 1st game other teams like bama play charleston southern Nov 21st. Point is everyone has one as much as some love to complain about iowas non conf schedule.

Not sure where the thread is headed and I apologize if I am taking it off track but here is what I see in the west. Most if not all of the teams will lose at least once out of conference. Then it comes down to injuries because I do not see anyone in the west with any depth in critical spots. Take Wisky the favorite. If they have an issue in health at starting TB, QB or OL they have a big problem. You can go through every roster in the west and it is the same. It could be very interesting.

IDK what people want...Iowa plays Iowa State a Big 12 school and Pittsburgh an ACC school. I hate playing Iowa State as much as anybody but that is not going to change. Also, I don't think you can complain when there is an ACC school on your schedule as well.

Think sometimes people forget they schedule these teams 4-5 years in advance. So minus the Ohio st and Alabamas of the world most of the time you have no clue, in this case tcu, that they'd be so good this year. 5 years ago some could argue Pitt would have been a more flashier, tougher non conf game. Sure Minnesota didn't anticipate about them being preseason top 5.

With the ill st game basically every power 5 team has some fcs or easy team on their schedule. Just so happens it's iowas 1st game other teams like bama play charleston southern Nov 21st. Point is everyone has one as much as some love to complain about iowas non conf schedule.

The whole schedule is a weak....I know we cannot control the conference schedule. With the addition of new teams and the conference reset, we need to schedule a better ooc opponent if possible to offset a weak conference schedule. Even if this team won 12 games a 1 or 2 loss team who played a tough schedule would beat us out. You have to play someone if you want to be takin seriously!

Reactions: BuckRussel
Oh look, another goddam schedule thread.

The other 132,593 threads weren't apparently enough.

The whole schedule is a weak....I know we cannot control the conference schedule. With the addition of new teams and the conference reset, we need to schedule a better ooc opponent if possible to offset a weak conference schedule. Even if this team won 12 games a 1 or 2 loss team who played a tough schedule would beat us out. You have to play someone if you want to be takin seriously!

My point was no guarantee unless you schedule about 10 schools will you know how good a team will be or not. Same goes for teams scheduling Iowa. Sure Nebraska didn't think they'd be playing a team coming off a 6-7 season when they got Miami on the schedule or Minny playing a 12-1 tcu. I thought Pitt was a solid matchup for Iowa. Credible school who Iowa would get a good test. Problem is since game has been scheduled who knew they'd be on their 4th coach by then. Plus this years schedule being so weak I don't think Iowa fans should really about it. The only think SOS really matters is for the 4 team playoff and let's be honest Iowa has no prayer at it.

Comes down to schedule a game like Pitt 50/50 chance or try and get a LSU or Alabama (a big if considering why they would want Iowa) and have a slim chance of winning.

My point was no guarantee unless you schedule about 10 schools will you know how good a team will be or not. Same goes for teams scheduling Iowa. Sure Nebraska didn't think they'd be playing a team coming off a 6-7 season when they got Miami on the schedule or Minny playing a 12-1 tcu. I thought Pitt was a solid matchup for Iowa. Credible school who Iowa would get a good test. Problem is since game has been scheduled who knew they'd be on their 4th coach by then. Plus this years schedule being so weak I don't think Iowa fans should really about it. The only think SOS really matters is for the 4 team playoff and let's be honest Iowa has no prayer at it.

Comes down to schedule a game like Pitt 50/50 chance or try and get a LSU or Alabama (a big if considering why they would want Iowa) and have a slim chance of winning.

Very true! With games being scheduled out so far it's hard to know what your going to get. I think HF philosophy was to schedule one you know you can beat, one that is equal, and one that was a challenge. I like that approach because then you are only playing one lower tier school.

I think Alabama, Notre Dame, TCU would play us anytime! There is a laundry list of schools that would play us. There are several programs who schedule a tough opponent in the ooc. They may pass because we are not a good loss right now.

As opposed to opening with an Illinois State, they open vs. TCU, so I guess the gophers aren't a developmental team.

I guess you can say you weren't making a point but perhaps the statement above is telling people you are trying to make a point.

And your belief of this is based on what? You simply believe that Iowa refuses all of these phone calls?
And your belief of this is based on what? You simply believe that Iowa refuses all of these phone calls?

Last time I checked the phone rings both ways. Mac and FCS schools aren't the only schools who play OOC games? You have to want to play real competition, our coach obviously doesn't! Anything else spin doctor?

Even a weak schedule cannot hide how bad the coaching has become! That is just the facts!

Last edited:
Last time I checked the phone rings both ways. Mac and FCS schools aren't the only schools who play OOC games? You have to want to play real competition, our coach obviously doesn't! Anything else spin doctor?

Even a weak schedule cannot hide how bad the coaching has become! That is just the facts!

Oh, so you have nothing on which to base that belief.

What belief am I needing to prove? Look at the schedule....you need me to paste a copy here for you? I need to prove the schedules have been weak? Who determines OOC games outside of ISU? KF has been here 16 years, he has a hand in who we play. Do I need to e-mail the athletic department and get you a certified letter that KF has an opinion on who we play? Talk to me goose, what do I need to do for you????? I cannot prove that we have not contacted Alabama, TCU or the like....but I'm sure they would take another cupcake if we called up and offered. This is just my Opinion....

And you are welcome to your opinion, which you finally admit is based on, well, nothing.

It is always good to know why somebody has the opinion they do.

Our schedule is weak man, regardless of whose fault it is... The university, coach, AD, whoever "could" schedule more difficult teams? That is what I was trying to say...I would rather lose to a Alabama than lose to Northern ILL. You are correct, I haven't any inside knowledge on whom has talked to whom about playing each other. Sorry I didn't catch where you were going sooner....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT