ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten scheduling

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Iowa lost to Nebraska Sunday and looked tired to me. Many of our shots were short.

Decided to look at both teams schedule. Nebraska played Tuesday so they were home to rest and practice Wednesday, Thursday, Ftiday and Saturday. Iowa played late Thursday night and practiced Friday. Traveled Saturday. Seems like Nebraska had a significant advantage fron the schefule. I have complained about it for years. The conference sucks at scheduling.

The only issue I have with scheduling is when top teams get a break on home/road vs other top teams. Last year Indiana won the conference because they didn't have to go to Maryland to play. This year, OSU doesn't have to go to Indiana. I know it is nearly impossible to know who the top teams are going to be each year, and it is going to get worse with 18 teams in the conference. It makes the regular season sort of a crap shoot/irrelevant. and the conference tournament could just be how the matchups fall. More so than ever before, the NCAA tournament is going to determine the success of your season.

That is a huge concern. I can see the perceived smaller TV market schools getting snookered.

Be better off to split into divisions and do all those home/away. Then a few single games from the other division.

Why? 18 teams you should be playing 20 or 22. I wish the mens teams would go to 22 also.
The women's conference tournament is one week before the men's, so there is just not enough days to schedule 20 conference games unless they squeeze the preseason scheduling.

Why? 18 teams you should be playing 20 or 22. I wish the mens teams would go to 22 also.
I totally agree. Especially if it means playing fewer Alabama States. The only true way to equitably crown a regular season champion is to play a true round robin schedule as they used to in the distant past. No chance of that ever occurring again. Progress, huh?

Reactions: warriors dad
The women's conference tournament is one week before the men's, so there is just not enough days to schedule 20 conference games unless they squeeze the preseason scheduling.
Big East men do 20 and they dont do the 2 game early December like theBIG18 does, they just start conference play the week of Christmas.

Reactions: unclesammy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT