ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Big Ten Teleconference with CJ Beathard

Apr 8, 2003
Rough notes and quotes from the Big Ten Teleconference with players today.

C.J. Beathard

Opening Statement

We're happy to be where we're at right now. We've put ourselves in a good position. We like to take things one game at a time, we've done that all year long, and we're excited to play this one against Michigan State.

Q: Not sure how much you've seen Connor Cook, but do you see some similarities?

CJ: I don't really like to compare myself to other QB's, but I do notice they run a pro-style offense and he's a great QB and I have a lot of respect for him.

Q: What have you seen from MSU's secondary on tape early in the year versus right now?

CJ: I think they've got a great secondary. They've got a lot of talent back there. We're only a couple days into the game prep, but they have a lot of talent and they're a well coached team. We'll have to be at our best.

Q: What's your relationship like with Jake Rudock? Will you talk to him about MSU this week?

CJ: No, I haven't really talked to him much. I haven't talked to him since the season started.

Q: Will you talk to him this week?

CJ: I don't know. I don't necessarily plan on it, but maybe I will.

Q: I know you got a chance to watch some college football on Saturday. Curious what you saw when you watched MSU.

CJ: We were excited. We knew it would be one of the three teams and whatever one would be a tough opponent. MSU brought their best and took it to Penn State. We know to have a chance to beat them, we'll have to play our best football.

Q: We've asked you a lot this year about what a team reminds you of. Is this one like looking in a mirror?

CJ: Yeah, they play a tough, physical type of football. They have a pro-style offense and a tough defense. We're going to have to be at our best.

Q: How has the emergence of the TE impacted the improvement of your offense?

CJ: I think they've gotten a lot better as the year has gone on. This spring, we had a tough injury with Jake Duzey hurting his knee. We knew George Kittle would have to step in and he's done a great job as has Henry Krieger Coble. They've made a lot of big plays this year.

Q: Comfort level with TE, are you looking for them in big situations?

CJ: I don't know if I look for them specifically. It's kind of what the defense gives me. Some teams don't have as much confidence in their TE, but ours are like WR, they're that good.

Q: Can you take me back to the play at Indiana where you

CJ: Yeah, it was a good call by Coach Davis, a QB draw. It was right before half and we wanted to get some points on the board. Our draws have been pretty good this year. I took it outside and felt like the only way to get in was to jump. I would have like to held onto the ball, but I got in.

Q: Have you ever practiced such a thing?

CJ: That was just instinct. I felt like it was the only way to get in and it worked.

Q: Last December, what were you trying to show coaches in the competition?

CJ: I just had to show them that I was ready and could play in any situation and stay consistent, take care of the ball. You're never where you want to be, you can always improve, but I've gotten better about taking care of the ball and making quicker reads.

Q: What did you get yelled at the most when you were younger?

CJ: Different things. As a QB coming out of high school, the QB does a lot at the LOS. It's tough. It's going 100 mph, but it slows down as you get older. Coach Davis harped on staying in the film room and learning the coverages and getting the ball to the check downs when guys aren't open because those can be big plays too.

Q: You guys have proven how extraordinary you are by going 12-0, but when you look at MSU going through Michigan, Ohio State, and Oregon. To sit on the sidelines and analyze this, it looks like that might be an edge for them Saturday night.

CJ: All you can do is focus on you. We didn't make our schedule. You're going to face a different opponent each and every week. We've done a good job of handling our business and that's all you can do. Obviously we respect Michigan State. They've played some tough opponents and have done a great job as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News