ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 Mens Basketball Coach of the Year 23-24

HawkLogic

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2011
I see it was Hoiberg and Painter. I guess it is old news, but it made me think---how come Fran has never won it?

This season Painter had the good fortune to have about $1 million in NIL to get Eddy to come back Hoiberg made the right moves with Mast from the Portal and parlayed that plus a great home crowd to a 2nd place finish. Underwood also made some good moves in Portal and had a great year.

I know last year Fran was mentioned on this board as a candidate for coach of year but it didn't happen. Fran got Iowa to 11-9 in conference last year and of course 11-10 after BTT. This year's 10-10 conference record and loss in 1st game of BTT to end up 10-11 just not good enough.

Seems like Big10 Coach of the year award is too focused on 1 year results because they haven't recognized Fran at all in his 14 year run, The award seems to be focused on finishing 2nd or better in B1G or some great turn around story---like anything less is mediocre, which it is not.

Seems like Big10 Coach of the year award is too focused on 1 year results because they haven't recognized Fran at all in his 14 year run, The award seems to be focused on finishing 2nd or better in B1G or some great turn around story---like anything less is mediocre, which it is not.
Probably why it's "Coach of the Year" 😉 Maybe Fran will get a lifetime achievement award or some such.

If there was a consistency award for a decade of work, Fran might be in the running.
Consistently average to slightly above isn't a bad thing year over year. It's just not worthy of any special recognition.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT