ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball NIL Shortfall

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
I have been pondering this issue for awhile now, trying to figure out why Iowa's mens basketball program can't build a large enough pot to bring in one or two top flight players each year.

If you give over $1,000 you can designate where the money goes. Does not seem like many large donors are too enamoured with the program. Why?

I personally feel Fran is a bit more aloof and not as engaging as Kirk. I may be wrong, just my impression. He also has not embraced the portal like he should. It only takes one or two top players to turn a program around. Unlike football where you need 22 vs. 5. I appreciate Fran's opposition to pay-for-play but look how many portal starters are in the final four.

I gave an initial swarm donation but after reading that pro athletes do not believe in giving NIL to their previous schools, why should I. In addition, reading where players are getting sums of money greater than I made as an executive before I retired, I decided, no more. Decided to put more in our granddaughters 529 college fund.

I think the future will belong to big money folks that have more money than sense. Donating, just to say, my team won! Unfortunate but true.

Probably won’t be a popular post but here goes. I have an extremely hard time donating money to purchase athletes. I so disagree with NIL as what you have to do to get players. I want the players like everyone else but if I have a choice between giving $1,000 to Iowa NIL or giving $1,000 to the children’s hospital, UIHC is going to get it every time.

Probably won’t be a popular post but here goes. I have an extremely hard time donating money to purchase athletes. I so disagree with NIL as what you have to do to get players. I want the players like everyone else but if I have a choice between giving $1,000 to Iowa NIL or giving $1,000 to the children’s hospital, UIHC is going to get it every time.

Yah it's a no brainer. There are a ton of desperate people/organizations that could use an extra buck. College kid on full ride already getting free housing and free buffet everyday? gfy.

The full-ride scholarship + NIL offerings is something I have a hard time with. I'll use my money to upgrade/get more seats instead.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
There will always be schools out there with donors that have much deeper pockets than the Iowa fan base. It makes absolutely no competitive sense for us to waste our time trying to buy athletes in this day and age. Even if we did we’d just move from 3rd fiddle to 2nd fiddle behind those schools. Iowa will never win a MBB championship with the recruiting, transfer, and NIL rules as they exist today. Especially since any great player is only in school for one year anymore.

Football at least has a chance because of the size of the teams and the years it takes to develop into a big time player. A coach that can identify under recruited talent and develop it will be huge at any non-big donor money school.

I have no problem with NIL when done the way that CC has done it. She’s in ads for companies because those companies think having her as a spokesperson will help them make more sales. I’m not sure how much she really helps, but that is their choice to spend on the most marketable college athlete today. The free market will limit abuse on these as companies won’t be stupid enough to throw out big bucks willy nilly to just any athlete. How much money did Falbo Bros waste on that stupid PMac commercial? I’ve noticed they haven’t done many more of those afterwards.

These NIL collectives that just give players money to come to their school are the stupidest things and need to be outlawed.

Yah it's a no brainer. There are a ton of desperate people/organizations that could use an extra buck. College kid on full ride already getting free housing and free buffet everyday? gfy.

Sure, NIL is dirty. How come no digust with coaches pulling int $3.2 million/yr for coaching said paid athletes.
I doubt Tony Perkins career Baskeball earnings will ever approaching Fran's career $30 million payout from Iowa as an example. I also think Tony has had a rougher go than say Connor, PMac, Jack.

Everybody has discessionary spending...if someone is really debating giving to Underprivileged kids vs NIL, by all means give to the needy. Mostly this seems like posturing by people that don't plan to give to either. Blame the supreme court for NIL.

One can give to both. I give more to “ charities “ but also a much smaller amount to the Swarm.

Reactions: aflachawk
💯 I will never donate to bring players to play at Iowa. I hated the idea 30 years ago and it’s even worse now in actual practice.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Sure, NIL is dirty. How come no digust with coaches pulling int $3.2 million/yr for coaching said paid athletes.
I doubt Tony Perkins career Baskeball earnings will ever approaching Fran's career $30 million payout from Iowa as an example. I also think Tony has had a rougher go than say Connor, PMac, Jack.

Everybody has discessionary spending...if someone is really debating giving to Underprivileged kids vs NIL, by all means give to the needy. Mostly this seems like posturing by people that don't plan to give to either. Blame the supreme court for NIL.
Because coaching is a job. I couldn’t care less how much coaches make nor do I care when they leave for a better job…like the rest of the working world.

I don't blame you for this opinion at all. NIL to me meant you could seek advertisements and companies could pay you to use your name and likeness. The pay to play stuff, well, there's a reason I like(d) college sports more than most pro-sports. It's just harder to get invested in teams when the rosters change every year. I can't imagine how anyone can enjoy coaching under these circumstances. I guess you'd have to create a position responsible fore dealing with all this crap.

Reactions: madmustang4

Yah I'd have no problem with the players getting the coaches money. No disgust? Pry because I'm not being asked to 'donate'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT