ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger acquisition Texas/Oklahoma or USC/UCLA

Bigger acquisition

• Total voters
Reactions: 24 so far
Clearly the sec is targeting better teams as a top priority vs tv money.
The SEC is all in on football. The B1G sees the bigger picture with basketball and TV money. It's really small potatoes to just think about football because that's really a limited number of days/year. Obviously basketball is king when it comes to games on TV, by a large margin. And now the B1G just added the last piece of the footprint - California - to really sell their product across the country. That's huge.

The SEC is all in on football. The B1G sees the bigger picture with basketball and TV money. It's really small potatoes to just think about football because that's really a limited number of days/year. Obviously basketball is king when it comes to games on TV, by a large margin. And now the B1G just added the last piece of the footprint - California - to really sell their product across the country. That's huge.
How much of college sports profits are from football?

Bball king of tv money???

I never mentioned market size. Southern California is a lot of people who don’t care much about college football. Texas is a lot of people who are obsessed with college football.

In 2019, TAMU was fourth nationally drawing 101k per game. Texas was 7th averaging 96k. Oklahoma averaged 83k.

USC was 23rd (behind Iowa!) at 59k. UCLA well down the list drawing 43k per game.

I never mentioned market size. Southern California is a lot of people who don’t care much about college football. Texas is a lot of people who are obsessed with college football.

In 2019, TAMU was fourth nationally drawing 101k per game. Texas was 7th averaging 96k. Oklahoma averaged 83k.

USC was 23rd (behind Iowa!) at 59k. UCLA well down the list drawing 43k per game.
TV. It's a huge sports TV market.

Look at it this way, if going to a game in Iowa City requires getting up early and driving in to a mess, parking, tailgating, etc., for about an 8 hour event, you can double or triple that in LA/Southern California. Most sports fans are fine watching the game on giant flat screens in 4HD, drinking beer with their buds, and eating great food. At least that's what my friends from LA tell me.

Not sure this could be called a bigger acquisition but the B1G and USC/UCLA put all their chips in. Before for the Big 10 and SEC it was standard when expanding to do it in the shadow of your footprint.

Yes you had the other 3 conferences do it. But the SEC/B1G seemed to expand into the shadows of their footprint. For the B1G Maryland/Rutgers was the shadow PSU. In the SEC Missouri was that school.

You can't say that about USC/UCLA.

One is a contiguous addition of two blue bloods in college football crazy states.

The other is two remote teams, one that is a blue blood when playing well
, in a state that doesn’t really care about college football.
So not true.

Man USC and UCLA really sold a bill of goods. USC is still fairly relevant in football, and UCLA was the second best PAC basketball school… but they are going to get hit freaking hard in recruiting over this. I don’t think the average midwesterner understands just how unpopular this move is out in California.. People are PISSED. And they don’t even care about the athletics … they just feel jilted over it. People feeling the crunch already from ridiculous taxes in the state are now really feeling the pain of the recession as well… traveling 2000 miles to juniors game isn’t going over well already.

Man USC and UCLA really sold a bill of goods. USC is still fairly relevant in football, and UCLA was the second best PAC basketball school… but they are going to get hit freaking hard in recruiting over this. I don’t think the average midwesterner understands just how unpopular this move is out in California.. People are PISSED. And they don’t even care about the athletics … they just feel jilted over it. People feeling the crunch already from ridiculous taxes in the state are now really feeling the pain of the recession as well… traveling 2000 miles to juniors game isn’t going over well already.

The bolded would be why people in California are upset. Instead of seeing the move as them going to the premier academic and athletic conference, they see it as joining a bunch of Midwestern schools. The anger comes from seeing everything through the lenses of personal politics.

The PAC likes to make others believe they cared about academics, but they really didn’t. USC and UCLA were two schools that really held that conference up academically. The BIG actually cares about academics. Adding these two schools, was huge for the BIG who is already considered the best conference academically.

With all the NIL money that’s going to be floating around, Junior will be able to pay for family to fly 2,000 miles to see him play a couple times a year. Not to mention still getting to see them play in home games.

Reactions: amahawk
This. many just look at the athletic-academic sides of a program but the mind-boggling TV money is also looked at. With the Los Angeles market added, the B1G now have the 4 biggest TV markets in the country in their footprint and a ton of others in the top 35 or so - by far more than any other conference. Here's a link that lists the top TV markets

Ok, so I asked this before. If its all about this, then why is Oklahoma such a draw? Dust bowl area well down in any TV draw.......

Wrong. You cannot look at the numbers and think this is true.
My question with this is why people assume that because its a large TV market that means that those viewers are watching OR supporting THOSE teams. Its long been said that many on the west coast are apathetic to UCLA football as an example, (they been crap for awhile), so do these numbers show WHO those TV sets are tuned to? Does this prove that those viewers are fans of those LA teams or are they already watching teams east of the continental divide? To be fair its the same deal on the east coast. Are all those people really Rutgers or Maryland fans or were they already watching BIG teams , so we really gained very little other then giving them access to BTN which could have been done WITHOUT adding those teams.....

Texas/Oklahoma

USC/UCLA
Ask Lincoln Riley who bolted Oklahoma for USC.
Texas will continue to have a coaching carousel when Sarkisian melts down.
USC and UCLA elevated the BIG with market money and elevated there own future with prestige and storied tradition and brings with it the Rose Bowl.
The BIG won this round and could be poised to win bigger with well placed additions.

My question with this is why people assume that because its a large TV market that means that those viewers are watching OR supporting THOSE teams. Its long been said that many on the west coast are apathetic to UCLA football as an example, (they been crap for awhile), so do these numbers show WHO those TV sets are tuned to? Does this prove that those viewers are fans of those LA teams or are they already watching teams east of the continental divide? To be fair its the same deal on the east coast. Are all those people really Rutgers or Maryland fans or were they already watching BIG teams , so we really gained very little other then giving them access to BTN which could have been done WITHOUT adding those teams.....
Because the people in those markets DO follow those teams. It's a myth that they don't. Look at the Nielsen ratings. USC and UCLA are the biggest draws historically in CA for football and basketball. Stanford and Berkeley have had their moments, but nothing like USC and UCLA. Ask someone who lives there.

Because the people in those markets DO follow those teams. It's a myth that they don't. Look at the Nielsen ratings. USC and UCLA are the biggest draws historically in CA for football and basketball. Stanford and Berkeley have had their moments, but nothing like USC and UCLA. Ask someone who lives there.
And there are a lot of imports in California from fly over states there as well. California is the true melting pot. They need those fans as well, which is why dropping BIG schools would be a mistake. Lots of fans from BIG schools line on both coasts...

And there are a lot of imports in California from fly over states there as well. California is the true melting pot. They need those fans as well, which is why dropping BIG schools would be a mistake. Lots of fans from BIG schools line on both coasts...
Yup. My friends from CA are either native-born Californians or immigrants' children, all Spanish speakers. They are all sports fanatics (1 couple drove from Iowa City to Lambeau field just too see it!). From what my best friend out there has said they are more the rule than the exception.

47-0 (Domers Suck It)
OU = only team to win all four BCS bowls
QBU in spite of TBOW, his mistress and cuck husband. Every Sooner glad his ass is gone
One Rose 🌹 trophy that we’ll keep plus a boat load of Orange trophies, Sugar and Fiesta, meh
Current Palace on the Prairie seats above 86k but with Thad Turnipseed will soon be over 100k
Texsa suck is legendary and eternal
Yay Cap’n Kirk and nepotism !

Last edited:
47-0 (Domers Suck It)
QBU in spite of TBOW, his mistress and cuck husband. Every Sooner glad his ass is gone
One Rose 🌹 trophy that we’ll keep plus a boat load of Orange trophies, Sugar and Fiesta, meh
Current Palace on the Prairie seats above 86k but with Thad Turnipseed will soon be over 100k
Oklahoma’s about to find out what the rest of the world has always known, just how mediocre of a football program they really have.

I can’t even imagine how many conference titles Iowa would have if we were in the Big12.

47-0 (Domers Suck It)
Wow, hit a hot button did we? Merely asking with all the folks saying that this is all about TV sets, then where does that leave this dust bowl team? If legacy and program tradition means little now, then Oklahoma could be like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest, or if you would rather, Boomer Schooner with a broken wheel.....

We may or may not win as many games this season as last year but with Venables and the staff and money behind the entire Oklahoma brand, our future is much more lucrative than ever and are more than ready for the challenge of the sec sec. The Sooner the better.

I love living in Iowa 9 months out of the year but outside of Tosu, occasionally Mich and PSU, b1g football is anachronistic and usually irrelevant. The U of I hospital is good but no Mayo and the vast majority of the State is not trying to be as insane as the freaks in Austin.
Have fun mingling in the slums surrounding CA schools in the future

We may or may not win as many games this season as last year but with Venables and the staff and money behind the entire Oklahoma brand, our future is much more lucrative than ever and are more than ready for the challenge of the sec sec. The Sooner the better.

I love living in Iowa 9 months out of the year but outside of Tosu, occasionally Mich and PSU, b1g football is anachronistic and usually irrelevant. The U of I hospital is good but no Mayo and the vast majority of the State is not trying to be as insane as the freaks in Austin.
Wow. Your last comment is truly hilarious! Like there's no trashy seedy underbelly in the SEC.. . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D:D

Have fun in bama and Mississippi I guess??

47-0 (Domers Suck It)
That OK degree has served you well! BTW, I'll have fries with the burger.

😉

I’ve seen Oklahoma…stop throwing stones you have a glass trailer home buddy boy

Not even close slackeye

Seriously, what will the new “pods” appear to be in the new/improved b1g. I like our chances in the various ones seen for the sec sec plan. Also the odds of facing IA in late December/Jan 1 or later are exciting in the future

The bolded would be why people in California are upset. Instead of seeing the move as them going to the premier academic and athletic conference, they see it as joining a bunch of Midwestern schools. The anger comes from seeing everything through the lenses of personal politics.

The PAC likes to make others believe they cared about academics, but they really didn’t. USC and UCLA were two schools that really held that conference up academically. The BIG actually cares about academics. Adding these two schools, was huge for the BIG who is already considered the best conference academically.

With all the NIL money that’s going to be floating around, Junior will be able to pay for family to fly 2,000 miles to see him play a couple times a year. Not to mention still getting to see them play in home games.
This is wrong. Stanford and Cal are two of the highest rated institutions in the world and Washington is a top 50 or 60 school in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT