ADVERTISEMENT

Bigots to muster at Pizza Ranch in Cedar Rapids

IaHawk44

HR MVP
Feb 20, 2006
Mike Pence rally in Cedar Rapids next week over Linn-Mar transgender policy

Former Vice President Mike Pence is hosting a rally 'for parental rights' next week in Cedar Rapids.

According to an online event from Pence's group, Advancing American Freedom, the rally will be held Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Pizza Ranch on Westdale Drive SW in Cedar Rapids.

Pence is rumored to be considering a run for president in 2024.

The event notes Linn-Mar's policy that allows students to request a gender support plan. It lets the student transition socially and without the permission of their parents. Pence's group says they filed a lawsuit against the school district to overturn the policy.

Pence and the group also plan to launch an ad campaign in Iowa focusing on the policy.

In other, "it's my way or the highway" news...

“The most embarrassing moment of my life is happening right now as I stand in front of a panel of strangers and publicly beg for my right to exist. Nothing is more humiliating and dehumanizing than pleading for one’s own existence. How did we get here? Politicians are using kids like me to get votes from people who hate us,” Smith said.

I have a question. Don't you think parents would already know if their child was transgender? Or at least have a pretty good idea that their child was leaning that way? Do they really get told this and say "I had no idea!!" Do some parents have their head that far in the sand about this issue? I know some parents are like that but it's just disappointing that parents like this exist

Former Vice President Mike Pence is hosting a rally 'for parental rights' next week in Cedar Rapids.

According to an online event from Pence's group, Advancing American Freedom, the rally will be held Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Pizza Ranch on Westdale Drive SW in Cedar Rapids.

The event notes Linn-Mar's policy that allows students to request a gender support plan. It lets the student transition socially and without the permission of their parents. Pence's group says they filed a lawsuit against the school district to overturn the policy.

Pence and the group also plan to launch an ad campaign in Iowa focusing on the policy.

More schools need to take a stand against freedom hating parents who fear an imagined public humiliation more than they want their children to be happy.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I have a question. Don't you think parents would already know if their child was transgender? Or at least have a pretty good idea that their child was leaning that way? Do they really get told this and say "I had no idea!!" Do some parents have their head that far in the sand about this issue? I know some parents are like that but it's just disappointing that parents like this exist
Parents who were raised by bigots think like bigots.

I love that "parental rights" really means "just the parents that agree with us".

They should at least be honest and call it a rally to "force everyone to think the way we think".

And Pence should never consider wasting money to run for president. He'd finish at/near the bottom, no matter how many others run.

So, now one is a bigot for wanting a say in their child’s life? That seems kind of ****ed up.
I can see both sides. One in which you are arguing is a parent should have a say in their decisions which I agree with. But, what about the parents that disown their child due to this decision? You know that is happening too. I lean towards a parents permission and then the child can go through the court system if they want to defy the decision. Either decision isn't perfect.

I can see both sides. One in which you are arguing is a parent should have a say in their decisions which I agree with. But, what about the parents that disown their child due to this decision? You know that is happening too. I lean towards a parents permission and then the child can go through the court system if they want to defy the decision. Either decision isn't perfect.

I can agree with this. I just can’t believe we are at a point where people are bigots for thinking parents should be involved and, yes, have a say in the decisions of their child. Wtf.

I can agree with this. I just can’t believe we are at a point where people are bigots for thinking parents should be involved and, yes, have a say in the decisions of their child. Wtf.
It’s where we are in society. If someone disagrees with your political viewpoints, then they must be labeled. They are clearly horrible people.

Parents do have a say. If you have no idea that your adolescent child may be LBGTQ you likely either have a poor relationship with your child, or you have acted in ways that lead them to fear that you will see them as less of a person because of their sexuality.

None of this is true and you are making assumptions. It still does not address my question. How in the world does it make one a bigot because they believe parents should be in the know and informed of what their child is doing?

It’s where we are in society. If someone disagrees with your political viewpoints, then they must be labeled. They are clearly horrible people.

It is really a pathetic state of affairs. People just can’t have differing opinions without being called names and labeled? Unreal.

Pence can be such an ass, if Mother lets him.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I wonder if when planning this event that is basically about moral decay they considered the optics of holding in a buisness that was founded as a Christian-buisness in part by a man that was a sexual abuser of boys.

Reactions: sdhawkeye
None of this is true and you are making assumptions. It still does not address my question. How in the world does it make one a bigot because they believe parents should be in the know and informed of what their child is doing?
You know that’s not why they being called bigots.

Reactions: blhawk
I don’t think everyone there is a bigot but 99% of bigots if forced to choose would be on their side. This is a hot button topic and the point of contention in my opinion is the transgender piece not the parents decision piece.

Is it the school's job to report if they suspect a kid is straight, or just if they're not?

And I'm not making assumptions. I've known several kids in this exact situation and it sucks for them. Those kids don't want to tell their parents because the kids think, based on what their parents have said and done, that their own parents are bigots. They are under the clear impression that their parents will not love or accept them if they find out. So before parents start spouting off about f**s and q****s in front of their kids, or even that those types of people aren't "normal", they should pause for a moment and consider that they may be talking about someone they love, and not just some "other" person.

Is it the school's job to report if they suspect a kid is straight, or just if they're not?

And I'm not making assumptions. I've known several kids in this exact situation and it sucks for them. Those kids don't want to tell their parents because the kids think, based on what their parents have said and done, that their own parents are bigots. They are under the clear impression that their parents will not love or accept them if they find out. So before parents start spouting off about f**s and q****s in front of their kids, or even that those types of people aren't "normal", they should pause for a moment and consider that they may be talking about someone they love, and not just some "other" person.

I know several kids in this situation as well and you most certainly are making an assumption.

I don’t think everyone there is a bigot but 99% of bigots if forced to choose would be on their side. This is a hot button topic and the point of contention in my opinion is the transgender piece not the parents decision piece.

So, we just label everyone a bigot that feels the parents have a right to know. Got it. Smfh.

So, we just label everyone a bigot that feels the parents have a right to know. Got it. Smfh.
No, that isn’t what I said at all. You’re creating the narrative here. The issue for a bigot would be the transgender portion not the parental decisioning being taken away.

Reactions: BelemNole
I know several kids in this situation as well and you most certainly are making an assumption.
Then why are those kids terrified to let their parent know? It's difficult to imagine myself as such a s****y parent that my own kid wouldn't even want to let me know about their sexual orientation, but they would find their teachers (or any other adult) to be more trustworthy, caring, and compassionate. And then I'm such an a-hole that I blame the other adult for my poor relationship with my own kid.

Then why are those kids terrified to let their parent know? It's difficult to imagine myself as such a s****y parent that my own kid wouldn't even want to let me know about their sexual orientation, but they would find their teachers (or any other adult) to be more trustworthy, caring, and compassionate. And then I'm such an a-hole that I blame the other adult for my poor relationship with my own kid.
It would be the parents that wouldn’t be open to this which is probably what LinnMar was accounting for.

No, that isn’t what I said at all. You’re creating the narrative here. The issue for a bigot would be the transgender portion not the parental decisioning being taken away.

I am not the one creating the narrative here. Op did by stereotyping all who feel parents should be in the know as bigots. I am not the one doing the labeling.

‘Continuing to make assumptions.

I am not the one creating the narrative here. Op did by stereotyping all who feel parents should be in the know as bigots. I am not the one doing the labeling.
This isn’t really about the parents being “in the know”. It is about stopping someone from being able to transition. If the parents were involved here, Pence and everyone involved would switch their gripe to stopping someone who isn’t 18 from transitioning.

Bizarre policy by Lin-Mar. what are they thinking?
Probably that Johnny’s dad who thinks gay people are evil and need “rehabilitation” doesn’t get to drive him to suicide?

Also, nothing says concern about Linn-Mar like hosting it at the WESTDALE Pizza Ranch. Might as well host it in Waterloo.

Reactions: ironside1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT