ADVERTISEMENT

Bill allowing sale of raw milk finally passes Iowa Legislature

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
I grew up on a farm, drinking raw milk, so I have no problem with this as long as it sis sold with a warning:

After years of failed attempts, the Iowa Legislature has given final approval to a bill that would enable Iowans to buy raw milk, fresh from the farm.
Following Senate approval Monday, Senate Bill 315 goes to Gov. Kim Reynolds for her signature.
The Senate approved the bill, previously approved by the House with amendments, on a 37-13 vote. It will let producers sell unpasteurized milk to Iowans from their farms, as well as cheese, yogurt, ice cream and other raw milk products.
"I call it the fresh milk bill," said Sen. Jason Schultz, a Crawford Republican and the bill's floor manager. He added that he'd waited 17 years for a raw milk bill to clear the Legislature.

Dairy groups opposed bill​

Supporters say raw milk tastes better and has more nutrients, while opponents say it could contain bacteria that's dangerous to children and could spark a public health outbreak.
Several major farm organizations, including the Iowa State Dairy Association and Iowa Dairy Foods Association, registered to lobby against the bill. Proponents included American for Prosperity, a conservative libertarian group that helped organize the tea party movement.

“The passage of SF 315 is a victory for families and agriculture across our great state and reaffirms that the government has no right to dictate what Iowans choose to drink,” Tyler J. Raygor, deputy state director of American For Prosperity-Iowa, said in a statement following the Senate's vote. “With this legislation, Iowans will have the freedom to choose what to feed their family while enabling innovation in the fresh milk industry.”

House member who's infectious disease doctor sounds warning​

Rep. Megan Srinivas, a Democrat and Des Moines infectious disease doctor, said last week during the House's debate on the bill that she's concerned children will become ill, with potentially lethal ramifications, if adults give them unpasteurized "milk that can make them sick."

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I don't see the problem as long as people know what they're getting into.
Because it makes a lot of people sick. And, it is often children. Whose crazy parents, or daycare providers, give the kids raw milk. Kids who cannot make their own decisions. And, then they can get seriously sick which costs resources to address. Resources we didn't used to have to spend on things like this because we had already found a way to make milk safe, through pasteurization.

It's a shame the legislature can bring a bill foward 17 years in a row, and have it shot down, because it was a bad idea. But, then after 17 tries it gets through one time...and it's now law.
Shouldn't have to defeat an idea 17 times, and yet it only needs once to become the law of the land.

Because it makes a lot of people sick. And, it is often children. Whose crazy parents, or daycare providers, give the kids raw milk. Kids who cannot make their own decisions. And, then they can get seriously sick which costs resources to address. Resources we didn't used to have to spend on things like this because we had already found a way to make milk safe, through pasteurization.

It's a shame the legislature can bring a bill foward 17 years in a row, and have it shot down, because it was a bad idea. But, then after 17 tries it gets through one time...and it's now law.
Shouldn't have to defeat an idea 17 times, and yet it only needs once to become the law of the land.
Depends on the level of risk associated with the product, as well as how the product is being consumed. If they have to go out of their way to get it, and it's really low risk, then I don't see much issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT