ADVERTISEMENT

Bluetooth Portable Speakers: Sonos Roam vs Bose Flex

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Not that you asked and /csb.

We have Sonos throughout our home in Atlanta so a couple years ago we bought a Roam to take out to the pool and for travel. It hooks well into our home system when we want a little extra sound somewhere. For Key West, we wanted one we could leave there instead of packing it for each trip and I bought the Bose Flex.

The Bose blows away the Roam in every way... Ease of use, control buttons, sound depth and bass. The Roam has a power button that also serves as the Bluetooth connector but you have to hold it down for 3.86349 seconds to pair. Being a portable speaker sometimes we want others to connect to it and it's just too difficult. The Bose has a dedicated pairing, easy on/off button that tells you the battery charge % when you turn it on, and big easy volume buttons.

If you're going to be in the market for a portable, definitely get the Bose. Cheaper, too. Any others you like?

/csb

Reactions: srams21 and ericram
It’s a different price point and not travel friendly, but if you’re looking for something that stays with the house but wireless, we love our Sonos Move. Integrates with the stationary Sonos speakers, good battery life, and sounds great when we take it outdoors.

Admittedly I’m not super experienced with Sonos but I’ve never been a fan and we have one in our home.

We use the JBL flip at the lake and for travel and always liked those.

It’s a different price point and not travel friendly, but if you’re looking for something that stays with the house but wireless, we love our Sonos Move. Integrates with the stationary Sonos speakers, good battery life, and sounds great when we take it outdoors.
We have that, too, as part of our Sonos house system.

Anybody compare the Bose Flex to a JBL Xtreme 3? My JBLX3 was the best sound quality at the time, so I’m curious if Bose now matches it.

know price doesn’t always mean quality in audio. I bought $50 Sony’s because they sounded better than any of the Beats by Dre.

Anybody compare the Bose Flex to a JBL Xtreme 3? My JBLX3 was the best sound quality at the time, so I’m curious if Bose now matches it.

know price doesn’t always mean quality in audio. I bought $50 Sony’s because they sounded better than any of the Beats by Dre.

I have a couple of JBL speakers. They are really good.

Hmmmmm………….I will have to look into this “update”…….Can I get rid of all the electrical cords around my pool then?
Sounds like you have an extensive system. I guess you would need Wifi for that... but you can pair 2 of the Bose together and I imagine it would sound decent enough.

We have a JBL flip 5. I'm not an audiophile but to me it sounds good, but the bass isn't terribly full. It IS waterproof, so when we go to the pool I can stick the JBL in one cup holder and drink of choice in the other and it works great in the lazy river.

I recently purchased the Bose Revolve II bluetooth speaker and it sounds great. The bluetooth JBL it replaced could barely be heard when you were in the pool but we can clearly hear the Bose speaker.

Bose Revolve II

We have a JBL flip 5. I'm not an audiophile but to me it sounds good, but the bass isn't terribly full. It IS waterproof, so when we go to the pool I can stick the JBL in one cup holder and drink of choice in the other and it works great in the lazy river.
We bought a flip 5 last year for our pool area and it has good sound and then my wife got a free one from work recently so we are going to be booming 2 of these this year out by the pool. They do have very good (not great) sound. But for like 100 total these 2 will be perfect for us.

Reactions: thewop
We bought a flip 5 last year for our pool area and it has good sound and then my wife got a free one from work recently so we are going to be booming 2 of these this year out by the pool. They do have very good (not great) sound. But for like 100 total these 2 will be perfect for us.
Can you sync 2 together?

Wifey no pics could put one in her cupholder too...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT