ADVERTISEMENT

Bo vs DT

Brands never made it a secret at VT that the real dream job for him was to be head coach at his alma mater, Iowa.

Cael never hinted that after his alma mater ISU booted out Douglas to allow Cael to be head coach, that he would soon leave if a sweet offer from another school came along. But he did.

So, yeah, they kinda are apples and oranges, like you say.
So what about the fact that Tom was taking to Ohio St. and Oregon St. about leaving Va. Tech to be there head coach? The only reason Iowa got in on Brands was because Ohio St. was going to hire him. You guys can try to spin it any way you want but all coaches are going to do what is best for them and gives them the best chance to win.

Last edited:
I don't recall Cael wrestling at PSU, but I very much remember Tom Brands wrestling at Iowa. The circumstances that brought them to their current positions aren't in the same stratosphere.
Well, the PSU job wasn't available when he took the ISU job. Nor was there a way for him to predict it would open up so soon. Sunderland had been the coach at PSU for years and at the time, seemed stable. I am not sure what school one goes to has to do with taking a job. People make career choices based on many factors beyond where they went to school. Gable was a Cyclone, and that didn't stop him from taking a job with ISU's biggest rivals. All of your concern for Iowa State only is happening because Cael switching to PSU has impacted Iowa's success. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

The biggest questions for me have not been answered.

Who kicked more puppies during the strategic conversation between Cael and DT where they decided to screw over Bo? Did Cael or DT have the better Dr. Evil like maniacal laugh? Did DT do his PED's before or after the puppy kicking began?

They’re back, one of their icons has had a hint of imperfection sent his way. So happy the woodwork has sent the ants to correct the record and in turn cast aspersions at others to deflect away from their own. Sun rises in the east, water is wet, psu posters worried about what is said about them.

Who kicked more puppies during the strategic conversation between Cael and DT where they decided to screw over Bo? Did Cael or DT have the better Dr. Evil like maniacal laugh? Did DT do his PED's before or after the puppy kicking began?

This is where the biggest misconception lies I think - it was just one puppy, but they did kick it back and forth repeatedly between themselves

They’re back, one of their icons has had a hint of imperfection sent his way. So happy the woodwork has sent the ants to correct the record and in turn cast aspersions at others to deflect away from their own. Sun rises in the east, water is wet, psu posters worried about what is said about them.
they didn't kick the puppy, they threw a chair at it.

We're gonna end up with Red, White, and Blue factions of our Olympic team

Geez, I don't think Bo even had an option to drop once he won the US Open

USA has so many incredible wrestlers and many, many more are on the way. Mostly from PA
I think he can, Nolf went up after the open.

Last edited:
Well, the PSU job wasn't available when he took the ISU job. Nor was there a way for him to predict it would open up so soon. Sunderland had been the coach at PSU for years and at the time, seemed stable. I am not sure what school one goes to has to do with taking a job. People make career choices based on many factors beyond where they went to school. Gable was a Cyclone, and that didn't stop him from taking a job with ISU's biggest rivals. All of your concern for Iowa State only is happening because Cael switching to PSU has impacted Iowa's success. To say otherwise is disingenuous.
LOL! I always get a good chuckle when PSU fans try to tell Iowan's how the Coaching moves at Iowa and Iowa State went down. Comedy Gold Jerry!

I would doubt Cael Sanderson knew Penn State had a wrestling team when he was "awarded" the Iowa State job.

LOL! I always get a good chuckle when PSU fans try to tell Iowan's how the Coaching moves at Iowa and Iowa State went down. Comedy Gold Jerry!

I would doubt Cael Sanderson knew Penn State had a wrestling team when he was "awarded" the Iowa State job.

Sure, let's start a thread with two PSU wrestlers in the title and not expect PSU fans to chime in...PSU fans chiming in about Gable is kind of like Iowa fans knowing what happened between Bo and DT:confused:

Sure, let's start a thread with two PSU wrestlers in the title and not expect PSU fans to chime in...PSU fans chiming in about Gable is kind of like Iowa fans knowing what happened between Bo and DT:confused:
I think most of us agree! Thanks for admitting that.

So what about the fact that he was going to leave Va Tech for Ohio St? The only reason Iowa got in on Brands was because Ohio St. was going to hire him. You guys can try to spin it any way you want but all coaches are going to do what is best for them and gives them the best chance to win.

This will be true until Bo Nickal joins the coaching ranks. ;)

Giving you a "like" for the Kenny Bania reference.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-5278-1402011428-11.gif

Cael is not a fan of dogs according to whispers. DT is also a cat person according to twitter.

PSU = Puppy Sadism University.

This is where the biggest misconception lies I think - it was just one puppy, but they did kick it back and forth repeatedly between themselves
Lol, this reminds me of "You don't mess with the Zohan" movie. Don't know why, love that movie...then they start playing hacky-sack with the cat, lol!

I'm glad most of the others who responded have a sense of humor.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Don't you think Bo is his own man and makes his own decisions. He chose to wrestle at a higher weight and stuck with it. I'd like to see Bo go on the Cassar diet and pack on 15-20 pounds of muscle!

Don't you think Bo is his own man and makes his own decisions. He chose to wrestle at a higher weight and stuck with it. I'd like to see Bo go on the Cassar diet and pack on 15-20 pounds of muscle!
On full feed he only weighed 87kg. Not even filling out his college weight which he’s had a year and a half to build to. He must have other plans.

They can't believe wrestlers give up scholarship money to wrestle at PSU. They can't believe coaches would make career choices on something other than where they went to school. That's what they do.

DT and Cassar both have directly credited Calavitta for putting on size.

Say what you want but I'm just repeating what has been said straight from the source.

Of course, you are always an innocent victim. You never accuse PSU of any wrongdoing, you only state the facts. I think you have enough evidence here to call somebody. Perhaps a compliance office somewhere. I'm sure you would get to the bottom of it, if it weren't for the fact that Iowa is the only highly honorable institution that would reply to your inquiries. Penn State is way too busy devising more ways to continue to cheat the system (aka beat Iowa) than to answer to your claims, which makes things tough. Good luck on your journey.

Cue Ironbird post telling me how PSU is cheating in every way possible and how he is suckering us all in to his genius. He will probably throw in a comment that I'm "sleeping with my mother" or "can't find a woman" or any other elementary school comeback, for which you will throw him another "like".

P.S. I would go ahead and start the accusations against Nolf early. He is clearly starting to cheat.

Last edited:
So Taylor's coaches and training partner had no idea about his status? Yes, I find that hard to believe. I also believe that Sanderson is going to look out for both athletes. To do otherwise is, again, not a smart move in terms of recruiting. But again, I know it is more fun to fuel negative theories so have at it.
Bingo. He has doctors and coaches. Lol
They didn't rely on Taylor telling them he had an injury. He had surgery, people are freaking nuts.
Team USA spends millions of dollars on these athletes. They aren't making the decisions on their own.

Last edited:
So what about the fact that he was going to leave Va Tech for Ohio St? The only reason Iowa got in on Brands was because Ohio St. was going to hire him.

I've never read what you are saying about Brands leaving VT for tOSU. Any link to support that, or did you just make it up?

It's an interview on flo. You can go find it.

Just a small note. People who make claims generally are able to provide the support that they used to make their claim. Otherwise they kind of look like the jack wagons that use the ‘uh huh, cuz I said so’ defense.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I've never read what you are saying about Brands leaving VT for tOSU. Any link to support that, or did you just make it up?

I saw an interview on Flo with Brands and he was talking about how he had 3 or four different offers the year he left Va Tech. Ohio st was one of them, and the day he was going to return tOSU's call, Iowa's AD called and offered him the gig. I couldn't say how serious he was about Ohio st, but they did at least make an attempt to contact him.

On full feed he only weighed 87kg. Not even filling out his college weight which he’s had a year and a half to build to. He must have other plans.

Full feed? What has he been eating? cidhawk needs a link to these kind of claims;).

Question because I don't know the exact rules on this.
My understanding:
-Final X just determines the "A Team"?
-But Team USA is 3 deep at all weights?
-So, the 2nd & 3rd tier can compete in certain Int'l events thru the season?
Is all this correct so far??

If so, can World Team members [from any country] wrestle events at a different weight than they qualified?
-Obviously the ATeam guys would stick with their represented weight, but maybe some of the younger 2nd/3rd string guys might have circumstances where they could go up/down - if allowed?]. Is this allowed?

For the always sunny in Happy Valley crowd, if anyone can offer a reasonable explanation of why Nickal didn't wrestle 86kg, I'm all ears.

I happily proffer that Bo may reasonably be set on a path to build his body for an Olympic weight 97kg in 2020. As such, cutting / holding 86kg to support World's 2019 would not serve this goal. Futhermore, he may be capitalizing on DT's experience and success when transitioning from 74kg to 86kg as well as Cassar's from 197lb to 245lb this year.

Bo travelled as DT's workout partner for last year's World's. Bo is on this year's World team. Seems like all will remain sufficiently happy in the Valley.

Thinking the worst thankfully averted.

Thanks. I hesitated to post on HR, but I hadn't seen a direct response to your request for a reasonable explanation.

Shortly after Beat the Streets, there was a DT social media video after which a few speculated on the seriousness of DT's injury. I'd like to think all in DT's inner circle were hoping for the best and knew soon enough.

I happily proffer that Bo may reasonably be set on a path to build his body for an Olympic weight 97kg in 2020. As such, cutting / holding 86kg to support World's 2019 would not serve this goal. Futhermore, he may be capitalizing on DT's experience and success when transitioning from 74kg to 86kg as well as Cassar's from 197lb to 245lb this year.

Bo travelled as DT's workout partner for last year's World's. Bo is on this year's World team. Seems like all will remain sufficiently happy in the Valley.

Thinking the worst thankfully averted.
Only issue with that is he didn’t even bulk into a 197 lber. He weighed 87kg. Not even filling out 197. He should have been over 200 if those were his plans. I think he has other ideas.

He should have been over 200 if those were his plans.

His near term goals for WTTs and Final X were set on 92kg. I realize 197lbs is about 89 1/3kg and Bo's Final X weight was reported as being less than that.

But what did Bo weigh at NCAAs? Was all of Bo's weight at NCAAs considered good weight? What were his priorities immediately after NCAAs?

I don't know the answers, but perhaps Bo was on a bit of a break and transitioning to execute a plan, which involved an early reduction of his body fat %.

In any event, there seem to be many plausible scenarios that don't involve unsubstantiated nefarious behavior by a close workout partner with an intent to undermine Bo's opportunities.

Reactions: PSUer1989
I think he has other ideas.

If you are implying you think Bo now intends to go 86kg for 2020 Olympic run, then it seems a logical inference Bo could've had more information sooner about DT's near-term prognosis, when considering Bo's reported Final X weight. This would seem to dispell the negative speculation towards DT.

Without some kind of insight like this (or regularly beating DT at NLWC), I believe Bo would be less likely to change his weight plans in a way that would decrease his chances of being USA's 2019 92kg WT representative.

Curious...doesn't the U23's have an 86kg weight class? I'm only asking because I think its weird he wouldn't go there. Or is it the guy team USA already has there is giving him the shaft in some way.

From USA wrestling:

The wrestlers eligible to challenge include Daton Fix, Yianni Diakomihalis, Ryan Deakin, Bo Nickal, and Gable Steveson. While the aforementioned wrestlers are penciled in for Final X at, 57 kg, 65 kg, 70 kg, 92 kg, and 125 kg respectively, they have the ability to challenge whichever U23 weight they are inclined to.

Max Dean will man 86kg. Bo has been hitting the weights so Woodley gets the short straw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT