ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Kennedy Notes

Apr 8, 2003

Starting spring, it's an exciting times because you get to see how guys have developed over the winter. Obviously people know that we have to replace a couple guys and have a young group coming back, but I'm excited about them. I think if we can continue to work hard and improve daily we'll have a chance to be a good group. But we're not a finished product. We've got a long way to go. Some good days, some bad days. My job to keep pushing them.

What have you seen from Jay Scheel so far? He's doing an excellent job. I've been really pleased with him so far. Coach Davis refers to "wow" catches and Jay is doing that when the ball is behind him or out in front, he's shown the ability to go and get it. Learning two spots right now, so that's challenging. Good hands, good speed. Needs to become more consistent and continue to develop his stamina because playing two spots you've got to be able to run all day.

Matt VandeBerg? Matt's just like the rest of these guys. There was a growth process with him. He's never shied away from a challenge. I remember when he was a freshman, playing as a backup to Kevonte Martin-Manley, Kevonte couldn't go one day and I told Matt you're up and he didn't flinch at all. Not only can he make the wow catch, but also is consistent and the game is very important to him. I thought he would be successful, but you never know until the lights come on and he's shown that ability. He can keep getting better too.

What are you looking for in the spring? Looking for consistency. Looking for toughness. Looking for guys where it's really important for them to do well. It's a daily grind and do they accept that. Are they willing to lay their body on the line for a RB to make a big run. We keep charts on catches, drops, and missed assignments, etc. Looking for consistency. If you're not going to be consistent in the spring, it's really hard to do in the fall.

Lost a couple gritty guys like Hillyer and Smith. Has this group embraced that? Is that the difficult part? I think they're doing a good job, but still developing. Tevaun would love to hear you call him a great blocker. He developed that and became one by his senior year. I see flashes of it now, but not arrived yet.

How hard is it for a redshirt freshman or incoming freshman to become interchangeable at three positions? Over the years, what I've found is you always start a guy at one position. As he becomes comfortable, then it's important for them to learn another position. That's where you create value as a receiver. Some guys can do that easier than others. Last spring, we moved guys around a bunch to see what they knew and how they'd adjust. Doing a little bit of that this spring, but also trying to develop that one position first until you have that mastered.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News