ADVERTISEMENT

Bowls and 2020 B1G Power ratings?

cidsports

HR King
Who are teams to beat in 2020, as players move to the NFL and as senior classes conclude eligibility?

Can Iowa keep improving +1, as Geno Stone reflected on his three years at Iowa, thus far?

And, one would hope he does return to play for his senior season at Iowa, as has been spoken too, so far on Hawkeye Report.

Day 2 of the New Year. My wife has asked for a day of rest and fun, after a busy holiday season. No pics.

Iowa's three biggest games in 2020 are against the three (wisemen) top programs of the Big Ten, as the #1 program comes back on, for the first time, since 2017.

We all know what happened the last time we meet at Kinnick. 55-24 was sweet. The freshmen season for most of our 2020 seniors, with the exception of PK Keith Duncan, who won the game winner 14-13 in 2016 against Michigan at Kinnick.

Next year, Iowa faces the Top 3:
  • at Ohio State
  • at Penn State
  • vs. Wisconsin to close the B1G season at Kinnick
Oh my, 2020 is going to be a good one. Win or lose. You want to play against the best, right?

Michigan loses their bowl game. Jim Harbaugh is now 1-4 during his 5 seasons back at his alma mater. He does get nailed for not competing against the best of the best and his road success against Top 25 types.

Michigan State won their bowl game, oh my. But, overall, the Spartans haven't been a strong program, since the 2015 season and the loss to Alabama in the one visit to the College Playoff Game.

The Spartans aren't beating in-state Michigan either, which is good for Harbaugh, since he isn't winning many other key games.

Ryan Day and Paul Chryst each lost their final game. James Franklin pulls out a win.

Is Penn State primed for 2020, as the top pick to lead the Big Ten?

The Nittany Lions have owned Iowa's number, of late, especially with Franklin at the helm.

One final bowl game left for the Big Ten, with Indiana vs. Tennessee. Rubber match: with Big Ten at 4-4 for 2019.

The basketball program at IU isn't looking too good?

Oh, and what about P.J. Fleck. Minnesota finishes 11-2 and beat Auburn. However, outside of LSU and one will give them a bone with Georgia, isn't the SEC a little overated?

Well, the 2019 season is officially over for Lovie Smith, but talk about a program that lost in September to Eastern Michigan, buf pulled out a huge home win over Wisconsin.

For one, how one can't be excited about 2020 and the new decade of College Football?

By the way, Paul was right on Kirk Ferentz and Iowa.
  1. Penn State - James Franklin has a huge opportunity and the most momentum heading into the 2020 season. Happy Valley will greet both Iowa and Ohio State in 2020.
  2. Ohio State - Ryan Day wins Big Ten and doesn't lose his first game, until Clemson in the CFP. The expectations will never be less now. Say good bye to J.K. Dobbins and others.
  3. Wisconsin - Paul Chryst nearly won the Big Ten in 2020. When will a Big Ten West team finally beat the East in Indianapolis?
  4. Will it be Iowa in 2020? Are we allowed to dream B1G and hope Kirk Ferentz can be the first? #4 and without a QB who has started a game?
  5. 3M: Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota all have questions heading into 2020, though the Golden Gophers do return QB Tanner Morgan.
  6. The three Eyes of the Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana and Iowa. The Hawkeyes have been #1, since 2015 and the Hawkeyes trip to Indianapolis. When will the next trip occur for Iowa?
    [*]Nebraska and Purdue open 2020 in Lincoln. Northwestern liked opening on the road in 2018 against the Boilermakers in their one special season, on the road to Indy.
    [*]Maryland had a good recruiting season for 2020, but will anyone take the coach series with his head coaching record?
    [*]Rutgers has a coach back, as they seek their first FBS win, let alone B1G win in several seasons in 2020.
    [*]The Big Ten Conference may not be winning the College Football Playoff Title game, let alone any CFP game lately. But, since the 2014 College Football Playoff began and Ohio State's first win, the State of the Hawkeyes program has been trending in a very positive direction.

Ten thoughts, Top Ten look into 2020. It has been a good one, the 150 anniversary of College Football, 130th of Iowa Football, 100th anniversary of the NFL, 90th anniversary of Kinnick Staidum, and my 45th anniversary of my first game there.

Oh, what a mouthful, but when wouldn't that be a true CID post. Did I just go there?

Thanks for the memories in 2019-20 Hawkeye Report and the Iowa Hawkeyes.
  • Iowa Football 10-3
  • Women's Basketball and Lisa Bluder
  • Iowa Basketball's near Sweet 16 visit
  • Iowa wrestling and baseball
  • Field hockey is becoming relevant again

It is a Happy New Year. Please wish me well in January. #LetItFly was hot in Omaha last night, in victory over Marquette.

Peace, prayers and promise in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News