ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketology 3/8

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Lunardi's isn't out yet. Palm has us as a 6 in Omaha against Baylor. I don't really think Palm is all that credible, but nevertheless, it was nice to see

Edit: ESPN's is out now --> Bracketology

This post was edited on 3/8 10:22 AM by StormHawk42

CBS Bracketology

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Found this site that tracks dozens of different projections online.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Lunardi's isn't out yet. Palm has us as a 6 in Omaha against Baylor. I don't really think Palm is all that credible, but nevertheless, it was nice to see
Actually he has Iowa playing Boise State, if we win and Baylor wins they would play each other in the next round.

He has St. John's jumping to a seed to 6 after taking a 30+ point pounding to 'Nova.

Originally posted by northernboarderhawk:
Actually he has Iowa playing Boise State, if we win and Baylor wins they would play each other in the next round.
I'm not in a hurry to see the Hawks play Baylor after Iowa got dismantled in the 2nd half against them 2 years ago. But a 6 would be awesome and ideal to make a run.

That was somewhat implied. Like when we're a 7 and we talk about which 2 we'd be matched up with.

Link:
CBS Bracketology

Why do you think Palm is not all that credible compared to any of the other bracket projections
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I saw something that his accuracy in seeding was less than 50%, which I know seeding is hard, but even so, that's pretty low. And stuff like before yesterday having Indiana still as a 10 seed after dropping a bunch in a row didn't seem right. And bumping up St. John's to a 6 after getting beat by 40 yesterday seems off too. Nitpicky maybe, but I tend to go with Lunardi more.

That was somewhat implied. Like when we're a 7 and we talk about which 2 we'd be matched up with.
Sorry, but I didn't see how it was implied when you posted it as Lunardi has Iowa as a 6 seed in Omaha against Baylor. Not trying to be a ass, just going off what you posted.

I didn't think any 6/11 match ups were in Omaha. I thought Omaha only hosted the 7/10 games and 2/15 games.

Other than that you are correct, Iowa could possibly play Baylor in Omaha. That wouldn't be to bad of a bracket IMO. Baylor could be a tough out, but when you get to that round anyone can be a tough out.

Originally posted by packerHawk76:

Link:
CBS Bracketology

Why do you think Palm is not all that credible compared to any of the other bracket projections

Posted from Rivals Mobile
History. And look at the guy. He looks like he crawls out of Mom and Dad's basement in January and crawls back down there in April.

Originally posted by redman21:
I didn't think any 6/11 match ups were in Omaha. I thought Omaha only hosted the 7/10 games and 2/15 games.
The way Pallm's bracket shows, it's the 6-11 and the 3-14.
sorry I messed that one up.
This post was edited on 3/8 10:24 AM by northernboarderhawk

The first and second round locations are determined by where the highest seed is from, not specific seeds. If say Kentucky was a 2 instead of a 1, Louisville would still host them most likely.

You can also ignore Lunardi for seeding accuracy, if that's what floats your boat. He's not much better than Palm. They get the overall selections nearly right, but there's a whole slew of less mainstream bracketologists who are, on average, much more accurate with seeding predictions - try crashingthedance.com, for example. They have a nice breakdown of seedings and distance between each early round pod and the schools.

Just one example...kind of fun to broaden out a bit from "good ol' Lunardi" and consider more realistic match ups, etc...
Posted from Rivals Mobile.

This post was edited on 3/8 3:27 PM by NorthCentralHawk

Crashing the Dance

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Originally posted by OskaloosaHawk2:

Lunardi has Iowa a 7 playing LSU and then Kansas.......
I don't like a matchup with LSU at all
I have seen LSU a couple times this year. Definitely a scary team. Would be nervous to see that first round match up. They have won and lost a lot of close games including a two point loss to Kentucky. I know they got one guard that can flat out shoot the ball. I think we would sneak a win out but it would be a nail biter, and then we would get Kansas (if they won).

Thats a tough tough two games there.

Honestly, i am not sure why anyone even pays attention to these other than for approximate seedings. Who could be playing who is completely a guess and is never close to reality with any of these projections.

It's interesting to see these prognostications, but the truth is they are all but meaningless. As long as Iowa is in, there's little point in debating what these basketball prophets are forecasting. Just wait til Selection Sunday and see how it shakes out. Iowa has seldom gotten a break, though, that's for sure.

If the Hawkeyes can get through to the Sweet Sixteen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Hawkeyes take on Kentucky. After watching how a .500 Florida did for 30 minutes yesterday in Lexington, I think Iowa-Kentucky could be an interesting game.

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:
It's interesting to see these prognostications, but the truth is they are all but meaningless. As long as Iowa is in, there's little point in debating what these basketball prophets are forecasting. Just wait til Selection Sunday and see how it shakes out. Iowa has seldom gotten a break, though, that's for sure.

If the Hawkeyes can get through to the Sweet Sixteen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Hawkeyes take on Kentucky. After watching how a .500 Florida did for 30 minutes yesterday in Lexington, I think Iowa-Kentucky could be an interesting game.
No doubt KY would win but I would definitely still be interested in how well we can do.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:
Honestly, i am not sure why anyone even pays attention to these other than for approximate seedings. Who could be playing who is completely a guess and is never close to reality with any of these projections.
You know it and I know it but it does make for some interesting reading and conversation. I can't believe the publicity Joe Lunardi gets.

Iowa is currently projected as a 7 seed against VCU with the winner most likely facing Kansas in Omaha...........do not want either. Then again, give me back LSU and if Iowa can somehow beat Kansas, then that current East region looks a whole lot more attractive.

But the prospect of having to play Kansas and potentially lose to Kansas and having to listen to Kansas fans after the game is not something I would want....unless it was in either the Final Four or National Championship. I could somewhat live with that.

Here's what Lunardi's four 6-seeds look like:

Georgetown- (20-9, 12-6) RPI: 21; SOS: 5 (4-9 against RPI top 50 with wins over Villanova, St. John's, Butler x2)

Butler- (22-9, 12-6) RPI: 25; SOS: 43 (6-7 against RPI top 50 with wins over UNC, Georgetown, Xavier, at Providence, St. John's x2)

Providence- (21-10, 11-7) RPI: 23; SOS: 8 (5-7 against RPI top 50 with wins over Notre Dame, at Butler, Xavier, Georgetown x2)

SMU- (23-6, 15-3) RPI: 15; SOS: 46 (4-4 against RPI top 50 with wins over Temple x2, Tulsa x2)

Not sure if the 3 Big East teams at the #6 will hold up. Iowa could certainly pass them if they manage a couple wins in the BTT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT