ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Smith announces retirement

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Anyone know why he went to City High for 21 years in the middle of his career? Was it to take on another challenge?

Coach Smith was unreal. The way he was able to bring Lisbon right back into title contention as soon as he came back from City High was unlike anything I'd seen in high school athletics.
Bring Lisbon right back in title contention? Lol that whole group of kids was going to be good no matter who was coaching them; Brads a good coach but to act like he was some miracle worker to turn Lisbon back around is a huge knock on the youth coaches that were at Lisbon and actually built those kids up and had them ready to go.

Bring Lisbon right back in title contention? Lol that whole group of kids was going to be good no matter who was coaching them; Brads a good coach but to act like he was some miracle worker to turn Lisbon back around is a huge knock on the youth coaches that were at Lisbon and actually built those kids up and had them ready to go.
Just to be fair, I have been around a decent number of programs that have good feeder programs and the high school team is weak because of poor coaching. He may not have been a superstar or he may have been a superstar, but if the results are there, he had a lot to do with it.
Miracle worker may be a bit of a stretch, but the guy is retiring and lets not split hairs here. He was an awesome coach!!

Reactions: GoHawks1996

In addition to the good though talent, and Smith's coaching prowess, shouldn't some credit go to whomever runs their recruiting program? Perhaps this is one in the same.

Well, I was there, so I would know. If you personally got coached by Kamberling before Smith, and then had Smith come in and felt the difference, you'd be singing a different tune.

The group of guys Kamberling had were incredibly talented and definitely could've been in contention, but the guys had way too much leniency, no discipline (see: the teabagging incident).

Obviously it's a community effort and Lisbon's youth program is very good thanks to all of the guys giving their time and effort, but the final polished product was Smith 100%. He just made you want to succeed for him.

Just to be fair, I have been around a decent number of programs that have good feeder programs and the high school team is weak because of poor coaching. He may not have been a superstar or he may have been a superstar, but if the results are there, he had a lot to do with it.
Miracle worker may be a bit of a stretch, but the guy is retiring and lets not split hairs here. He was an awesome coach!!
Pretty simple math: Lisbon won a bunch of titles, Brad left, they stop winning titles. Brad comes back, they start winning or are in contention again.

In addition to the good though talent, and Smith's coaching prowess, shouldn't some credit go to whomever runs their recruiting program? Perhaps

In addition to the good though talent, and Smith's coaching prowess, shouldn't some credit go to whomever runs their recruiting program? Perhaps this is one in the same.
Where does the line get drawn between recruiting and good luck/connections?

I guarantee you Smith didn't have anything to do with getting those kids to Lisbon (not that you'd believe me), but if a parent of a wrestler knows a kid in a poor family situation and offers him a fresh start, is that recruiting? If I knew a kid looking to move and they were athletic you can bet your ass I'd be pushing to get them to my son's school.

This is all funny anyways when you've got the likes of Catholic schools doing what they do.

I guarantee you Smith didn't have anything to do with getting those kids to Lisbon (not that you'd believe me), but if a parent of a wrestler knows a kid in a poor family situation and offers him a fresh start, is that recruiting? If I knew a kid looking to move and they were athletic you can bet your ass I'd be pushing to get them to my son's school.

This is all funny anyways when you've got the likes of Catholic schools doing what they do.

I have no idea who runs that show. I thought my post was clear in that regard. It's been a factor in Lisbon's success regardless of whether one thinks it is good, bad, or otherwise.

I have no idea who runs that show. I thought my post was clear in that regard. It's been a factor in Lisbon's success regardless of whether one thinks it is good, bad, or otherwise.

Haha okay whatever you say Spoon Guy 👍

combined gifs GIF

Well, I was there, so I would know. If you personally got coached by Kamberling before Smith, and then had Smith come in and felt the difference, you'd be singing a different tune.

The group of guys Kamberling had were incredibly talented and definitely could've been in contention, but the guys had way too much leniency, no discipline (see: the teabagging incident).

Obviously it's a community effort and Lisbon's youth program is very good thanks to all of the guys giving their time and effort, but the final polished product was Smith 100%. He just made you want to succeed for him.

This. It's incredibly hard for people to truly understand how hard winning at an elite is. Because you're not just coaching kids in wrestling. Keeping them focused on doing the right things, keeping parents from interfering too much and getting them mentally prepared to do and be their best is much more important than them having a great single leg.

This. It's incredibly hard for people to truly understand how hard winning at an elite is. Because you're not just coaching kids in wrestling. Keeping them focused on doing the right things, keeping parents from interfering too much and getting them mentally prepared to do and be their best is much more important than them having a great single leg.
Brad graduated just as I arrived at Iowa. Those 2x Nat Champs were larger than life. Iowa had not won anything for a long time prior to that. Maybe a Gym Title, then back to Evy.

Coaching HS sports was one of the best times of my life, particularly as I had my two boys in the program.

Congrats Coach Smith and look forward to hopefully meeting up some day

Wish retiring Coach Brad Smith the very best. Some reflections on his career. I had the opportunity to see many of Brad’s matches during his career at the University of Iowa. The team and fans could be certain Brad would put points of the board for the Hawkeyes. Be assured Brad Smith was a talented and tough University of Iowa wrestler.

This past season I watched Brad’s high school alma mater (Hersey High School, Arlington Heights, IL) wrestle in several tournaments. Throughout their line-up Hersey was very strong this year, including two state champions. Occasionally I would speak with a Hersey wrestler, or a parent, and comment that one of the all-time wrestling greats of Hersey High School was Brad Smith. And I would note his photo/plaque and a listing of accomplishments was on the wall at Hersey High School. Many did not know (about) Brad but took the time and effort to find his plaque, and to read the story of his Hersey wrestling career. They were always impressed and proud of his wrestling achievements.

The University of Iowa began their rise to NCAA wrestling distinction (Gable) with a group of wrestlers all from the Chicago/North-Shore area. Those Gable/Iowa wrestlers were each NCAA place-winners. Included were Brad Smith 1st (Arlington Heights); Dan Sherman 1st (Deerfield); Dan Holm 1st (Libertyville); Dan Wagemann 2nd (Mundelein); Tim Cysewski 3rd (Glenview/Northbrook). A tough group.

Smith-Brad-300x233.jpg

Last edited:

What is it that Catholic schools don that publics don't in this instance?

I know nothing about him but for arguments sake how successful was City high when he was coaching there?

I was looking at the iahsaa list of wrestling coaches who have won a team title. One name really stood out. Adolph Rupp won a title in 1926 at Marshalltown.

I was looking at the iahsaa list of wrestling coaches who have won a team title. One name really stood out. Adolph Rupp won a title in 1926 at Marshalltown.
Somewhere I read that he was a Faculty advisor with a Senior doing the actual coaching.
I also assume Rico can confirm/disprove this.

Reactions: WSC72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT