ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Berge

minnhawkeye

HR All-American
Oct 20, 2006
In yesterday team event Brady had 3 falls at 160. Notice their is a Araon Berge at 182 and he had all falls is this a brother maybe? Kasson his team won the AA title.
In AAA Mark Hall had all first period falls and for team he was at 182 going at 170 today indivual.

In yesterday team event Brady had 3 falls at 160. Notice their is a Araon Berge at 182 and he had all falls is this a brother maybe? Kasson his team won the AA title.
In AAA Mark Hall had all first period falls and for team he was at 182 going at 170 today indivual.
I believe they're cousins

Speaking of the Minnesota state tournament I was chatting with Rutt the other day and we started talking about his cousin (I believe Mason is the one that is a junior for New Prague right now) and he said there will be a lot of Rutts coming up soon.

He told me that his dad was the oldest in his family (wish I could remember how big I want to say there was at least eight), and that he was the oldest of all of his cousins. Not that they will all be D1 wrestlers, but it could be worth watching over the next few years.

He loves big Rutts, and he cannot lie...... wish I had a smart clip. ;)
As of Now the Rutts are doing more for the program.
Color me bad for being a fan of both.
BTW can you please post video of Sam coming in with the imperial march

I'm feeling good about Berge right now. A quick perusing of his twitter shows he has some love for the hawkeyes, and definitely Sam Stoll. Also saw a few pics of him wearing hawkeye gear. Hopefully the offer is right and we can snag him out of Minnesota like his former teammate Stoll.

Speaking of the Minnesota state tournament I was chatting with Rutt the other day and we started talking about his cousin (I believe Mason is the one that is a junior for New Prague right now) and he said there will be a lot of Rutts coming up soon.

He told me that his dad was the oldest in his family (wish I could remember how big I want to say there was at least eight), and that he was the oldest of all of his cousins. Not that they will all be D1 wrestlers, but it could be worth watching over the next few years.

Berge looked really good, if you get a chance to watch him wrestle, its so basic Hawkeye style, snap down, go behind, and he is heavy with the hands. Kasson-Mantorville also has an 8th grader at 145 named Patrick Kennedy who is in the semi's who wrestles the same way. Yes I know who their coach is as well, which is a big plus.

Hall bumped up in the team finals to wrestle the #1 Ranked 182 in the state and #9 182 in the country Lucas Jeske. Hall pinned him in the first period.

Also, Gable Steveson wrestles like he's 170 pound athlete, fearless...there was a nice article on the guillotine front page this week about him growing up. I learned his middle name is Dan! The kid has Hawkeye written all over him, and he would be a nice addition in a few years.

Lastly, I would love to have all the Rutts come to Iowa! Big athletes and hard workers. Although Mason lost to a freshmen Greg Kerkvliet from Simley today 7-5 in the quarters. Simley is loaded with some tough freshmen, their coach is Jake Shorts dad, so you know where their pipeline is.

Last edited:
Can someone please make it their mission to find out what Tom Brands did to Stevenson to make him list virtually every D1 program in the country EXCEPT Iowa among schools he is considering? It's not an anti-state-of-Iowa bias, because he listed Iowa State just to spite us (because, seriously, what other explanation is there?). It's an anti-U of I bias. Similar to Hall's anti-U of I bias. Our recruiting challenge is hard enough without multiple top-10 recruits specifically saying they DON'T want to go to Iowa.

Can someone please make it their mission to find out what Tom Brands did to Stevenson to make him list virtually every D1 program in the country EXCEPT Iowa among schools he is considering? It's not an anti-state-of-Iowa bias, because he listed Iowa State just to spite us (because, seriously, what other explanation is there?). It's an anti-U of I bias. Similar to Hall's anti-U of I bias. Our recruiting challenge is hard enough without multiple top-10 recruits specifically saying they DON'T want to go to Iowa.

Not a good fit;);)Doesn't want to be a room guy:( fears this board:eek: . Take your pick....we usually get to them all before the end of a thread anyway. This just saves the name calling and pissing contests.

I would imagine a rival coach is talking crap to them, running iowa and brands down

Not every kid is going to have goo goo eyes for every school and the "bad guy" reputation thrown our way by others and at times self directed is certainly something the competition will use and has used as ammunition even if it is mostly bull crap. There is no shortage of competition with loaded guns. Being the big bad hated bad guy looks a lot more appealing when you're king shit at the top of the ladder but loses its luster when you're not . We even have other former Iowa guys taking shots. The fact that most all this anti Iowa ammunition is a load of crap does not matter if the competition can get people to buy it without seeing for themselves. The best way to show the bull crap for what it is? Let facts speak for themselves, put an exciting brand on the mat. Winning with exciting wrestling will draw recruits and respect a lot more than tough talk and chippy actions. Success builds success, time to cut loose and go for it. You don't get to be #1 by wrestling tight, being afraid to lose matches, testing yourself vs inferior competition. A high seed only goes as far as the ability of the wrestler it was given to.

Most here seem to agree a big factor in other teams winning titles and us winning titles is overall talent, Brands is either going to elevate his game and get the talent needed to be a contender and people will be happy or he won't and someday another person will be given the task. I feel he is adapting and moving in the right direction, time will tell if he can change things up enough to get it done. There is still a place for heavy hands and collar ties if people actually use them to shoot, but the trend is that the most successful guys have the ability to score with a variety of shots from a variety of positions whether in a tie or from space. They also can hold their own in a scramble situation. Plodding and grinding are not going to cut it alone. Greater athleticism, chain wrestling and a lot of shots are what's getting it done.

Not every kid is going to have goo goo eyes for every school and the "bad guy" reputation thrown our way by others and at times self directed is certainly something the competition will use and has used as ammunition even if it is mostly bull crap. There is no shortage of competition with loaded guns. Being the big bad hated bad guy looks a lot more appealing when you're king shit at the top of the ladder but loses its luster when you're not . We even have other former Iowa guys taking shots. The fact that most all this anti Iowa ammunition is a load of crap does not matter if the competition can get people to buy it without seeing for themselves. The best way to show the bull crap for what it is? Let facts speak for themselves, put an exciting brand on the mat. Winning with exciting wrestling will draw recruits and respect a lot more than tough talk and chippy actions. Success builds success, time to cut loose and go for it. You don't get to be #1 by wrestling tight, being afraid to lose matches, testing yourself vs inferior competition. A high seed only goes as far as the ability of the wrestler it was given to.

Most here seem to agree a big factor in other teams winning titles and us winning titles is overall talent, Brands is either going to elevate his game and get the talent needed to be a contender and people will be happy or he won't and someday another person will be given the task. I feel he is adapting and moving in the right direction, time will tell if he can change things up enough to get it done. There is still a place for heavy hands and collar ties if people actually use them to shoot, but the trend is that the most successful guys have the ability to score with a variety of shots from a variety of positions whether in a tie or from space. They also can hold their own in a scramble situation. Plodding and grinding are not going to cut it alone. Greater athleticism, chain wrestling and a lot of shots are what's getting it done.
Great post, MVP.

Michael Kemerer, Alex Marinelli, Kaleb Young, Carter Happel, Justin Mejia, Jason Renteria, and many more, agree wholeheartedly -- as do Spencer Lee and Brady Berge, among others.

Reactions: TarpHawk
What happened to Berge, injured? I see he's going for 5th/6th??

What happened to Berge, injured? I see he's going for 5th/6th??
Was cruising along comfortably 7-2 early in 2nd period of the semis. Did something to his ankle. Continued after the injury time-out but could not put any weight on it. Coaches and trainers called it. Heartbreaking.

Was cruising along comfortably 7-2 early in 2nd period of the semis. Did something to his ankle. Continued after the injury time-out but could not put any weight on it. Coaches and trainers called it. Heartbreaking.
Man, too bad

The injury was a broken left fibula. Feel bad for the kid as he was well on his way to another state championship. As another poster stated, if you look at his twitter account it has quite a bit Iowa stuff. Hopefully the Hawks can get him.

Bummer. Feel really bad for him, but should heal up fine and very likely will not affect his wrestling future.

Damn that sucks. The injury bug is a son of a bitch. To put in perspective how good Berge is he absolutely dominated Luke Troy in the Cadet Team trials last year. He wrestled Layne VanAnrooy from Oregon (who is built like the friggin' Hulk btw) in freestyle and was down at one point in a slug fest type match. Berge flips the switch and goes beast mode rattling off a flurry of unanswered point and gets the tech fall 17-7. He beat Wyatt Sheets 14-4, Aaron Meyer 14-0, etc, etc etc. The only bad loss I've ever seen him take was to Isaiah White. (Berge got teched) And White is the # 1 ranked 160 lber in the country right now. He rarely looks anything but spectacular and I would love to have him as a hawk.

Reactions: TarpHawk
How good is Jamie Heidt's program. Ran away with team score even with Brady out in semis. They would have had 3 champs had Brady not been inj. Nolan Ryan and Brady back next year. Patrick Kennedy 3rd as 8th grader. Lots of youth coming up. Also won team championship 37-21
Team Scores
AA
1. Kasson-Mantorville 117.5
2. Simley 86.0
3. South St Paul 62.0
4. Delano 60.0
5. New Prague 58.5
6. Totino-Grace 53.0

Damn that sucks. The injury bug is a son of a bitch. To put in perspective how good Berge is he absolutely dominated Luke Troy in the Cadet Team trials last year. He wrestled Layne VanAnrooy from Oregon (who is built like the friggin' Hulk btw) in freestyle and was down at one point in a slug fest type match. Berge flips the switch and goes beast mode rattling off a flurry of unanswered point and gets the tech fall 17-7. He beat Wyatt Sheets 14-4, Aaron Meyer 14-0, etc, etc etc. The only bad loss I've ever seen him take was to Isaiah White. (Berge got teched) And White is the # 1 ranked 160 lber in the country right now. He rarely looks anything but spectacular and I would love to have him as a hawk.

Vananroy is a man child. I love watching him. Any idea where he ends up?

Just to avoid confusion, trackwrestling did list the team scores on the individual tournament, but Minnesota doesn't do a team champion based on the individual tournament. The team title is determined by the duals. The team score, basically, is pointless for the individual side. I admit I did look at it to see who "would" have won if they kept a team score.

Quick Jamie Heidt Story. I have a bracket at home from a kids tournament (I think in Webster City) where he finished 4th out of 4. I would guess it was probably 5th grade (I'll have to dig it out again). Fast forward a few years and Jamie was an 8th grader and I was in 7th. Drew him for a middle school meet. I remembered that I pinned him before and wasn't worried. Holy smokes, it was a war (in my eyes anyway) and we ended in a tie. That would be the last time I was even comparable to Jamie. After that, he just dominated. I'm damn glad he grew a little more than i did :)
I actually have kept the bracket not because I won something in 5th grade, but to tell my kids the story about Jamie and what hard work and dedication can do. He doesn't know me from a hole in a wall but I have a ton of respect for him and what he did.

Reactions: MNkids2IA
Brady received a standing O as Heidt carried him out of the gym. He received another one when he returned to watch the finals and was sitting front row. He was complimentary of Minnesota Wrestling and these moments via twitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT