ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz Bissinger blasts Mason City schools’ ban of his “Friday Night Lights”

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
When great and necessary books are being pulled from school libraries, something has gone badly haywire.

It’s gone badly haywire in Iowa, and specifically, in Mason City.

“Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream,” the 1990 non-fiction bestseller by H.G. “Buzz” Bissinger about a prominent west Texas high school football team and societal issues in its Odessa, Texas home is one of 19 books recently removed from school shelves in Mason City.

Others include Alice Walker’s “The Color Purple,” Theodore Dreiser’s “An American Tragedy,” and Maya Angelou’s “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.”

“I’m flattered to be in the same company,” Bissinger said by phone Wednesday. “These are great, great books.”

The rest of what he said wasn’t so flattering, and with good reason.

Iowa Senate File 496, passed this year, requires every book available to students be “age-appropriate” and free of any “descriptions or visual depictions of a sex act” according to Iowa Code 702.17.

Mason City Community School District Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Bridgette Exman said it was “simply not feasible to read every book and filter for these new requirements.” So, as Popular Science reported this week, that district is using ChatGPT. That’s an artificial intelligence software, to help provide textual analysis of each title.

“This use of AI is ridiculous,” Bissinger said, “There’s no sex at all. I’ve never depicted a sex act. I don’t know what the (expletive) they’re talking about. I purposely stayed away from that.”

Don't miss weekly prep sports roundups​

Prep Sports Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox weekly
checkmark-yellow.png
Rankings, highlights and commentary

As for the book possibly not being age-appropriate?

“My book is being falsely depicted,” said Bissinger. “The tragedy is, this is a great book for kids. It is a great book for teenage males because they don’t like to read anything. But they devour this book, and I know because I’ve had over 30 years of emails telling me that.

“The idea that this book has been banned is totally against what our society is and should be, freedom of speech and the ability of kids to choose what they want to read. Absolutely tragic. Not just my book, but all the books they cited.”

“Friday Night Lights” still resonates 33 years since its publication. It deals directly with racial divisions and racism, which Bissinger calls “a thick vein in our country, and I’m really tired of people not wanting to acknowledge that.”

The book ought to make readers question the glorification of sports, particularly at the high school level. A school district should be glad when one of its students wants to read it.

“There are now elements of our society who believe that it’s in their interest to shield kids and to shield readers from anything that puts a certain perspective on the United States,” Bissinger said.

“So unless it’s totally glowing, unless the problems of this country are absolutely put under the rug and not acknowledged, it’s going to be banned.

“Kids should know about racism. It’s not just Odessa, it’s all over the country. Kids should know about what can happen if all your eggs are in high school sports.

“Kids are supposed to learn. Not just learn the classics, but they’re supposed to learn about elements of our society. And by the way, the book is not all negative. The book does celebrate the beauty of high school football. And that’s part of the reason for the success of the book. It’s magical.”

Banning the book, Bissinger said, is “a little bit too late since the book has sold 2 million copies. It sold those copies because people relate to it.”

Removing the book from school libraries is bad enough, but using AI to make that decision?

“Frankly, we have more important things to do than spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to protect kids from books,” Exman told Popular Science. “At the same time, we do have a legal and ethical obligation to comply with the law. Our goal here really is a defensible process.”

“Why don’t you read the book first and then make up your mind?” Bissinger said. “Instead, you rely on AI? … This is what happens when you’re actually too lazy to do what you need to do.

“It’s also symbolic of how we don’t read anymore. Let’s go to AI. Pathetic. Yeah, absolutely pathetic, and infuriating and dangerous. Because who knows what other school districts will do in Iowa or around the country.

“Whoever determined this is a complete idiot. And frankly, whoever determined this is a danger.

“America is a wonderful, great country. And one of the reasons it’s a wonderful, great country is that people have the right to choose. This is not Nazi Germany. This (banning books) is similar, and I hate that comparison. It is similar to the book-burnings in Nazi Germany.

“Tell me the difference. Is this the society we want to become?”

Artificial Intelligence determined which books are banned in Mason City...

The Mason City Community School District in Iowa has utilized artificial intelligence (AI) to compile a list of books containing sexual content. This resulted in the removal of 19 books from the shelves of grades 7-12 libraries. The school district first created a list of books that had previously been objected to or called for removal. It then employed ChatGPT, an AI chatbot, to determine if these books contained descriptions or depictions of sex acts. If confirmed by ChatGPT, the books were taken off the shelves and stored in administrative offices for further review.

This is perfect. When I saw Friday Night Lights being banned I couldn’t stop laughing.

Good work Kim and MAGA Iowa…and I don’t blame the districts one bit. If I was a teacher I would remove all books in my classroom because the headache isn’t worth it.

When great and necessary books are being pulled from school libraries, something has gone badly haywire.

It’s gone badly haywire in Iowa, and specifically, in Mason City.

“Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream,” the 1990 non-fiction bestseller by H.G. “Buzz” Bissinger about a prominent west Texas high school football team and societal issues in its Odessa, Texas home is one of 19 books recently removed from school shelves in Mason City.

Others include Alice Walker’s “The Color Purple,” Theodore Dreiser’s “An American Tragedy,” and Maya Angelou’s “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.”

“I’m flattered to be in the same company,” Bissinger said by phone Wednesday. “These are great, great books.”

The rest of what he said wasn’t so flattering, and with good reason.

Iowa Senate File 496, passed this year, requires every book available to students be “age-appropriate” and free of any “descriptions or visual depictions of a sex act” according to Iowa Code 702.17.

Mason City Community School District Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Bridgette Exman said it was “simply not feasible to read every book and filter for these new requirements.” So, as Popular Science reported this week, that district is using ChatGPT. That’s an artificial intelligence software, to help provide textual analysis of each title.

“This use of AI is ridiculous,” Bissinger said, “There’s no sex at all. I’ve never depicted a sex act. I don’t know what the (expletive) they’re talking about. I purposely stayed away from that.”

Don't miss weekly prep sports roundups​

Prep Sports Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox weekly
checkmark-yellow.png
Rankings, highlights and commentary

As for the book possibly not being age-appropriate?

“My book is being falsely depicted,” said Bissinger. “The tragedy is, this is a great book for kids. It is a great book for teenage males because they don’t like to read anything. But they devour this book, and I know because I’ve had over 30 years of emails telling me that.

“The idea that this book has been banned is totally against what our society is and should be, freedom of speech and the ability of kids to choose what they want to read. Absolutely tragic. Not just my book, but all the books they cited.”

“Friday Night Lights” still resonates 33 years since its publication. It deals directly with racial divisions and racism, which Bissinger calls “a thick vein in our country, and I’m really tired of people not wanting to acknowledge that.”

The book ought to make readers question the glorification of sports, particularly at the high school level. A school district should be glad when one of its students wants to read it.

“There are now elements of our society who believe that it’s in their interest to shield kids and to shield readers from anything that puts a certain perspective on the United States,” Bissinger said.

“So unless it’s totally glowing, unless the problems of this country are absolutely put under the rug and not acknowledged, it’s going to be banned.

“Kids should know about racism. It’s not just Odessa, it’s all over the country. Kids should know about what can happen if all your eggs are in high school sports.

“Kids are supposed to learn. Not just learn the classics, but they’re supposed to learn about elements of our society. And by the way, the book is not all negative. The book does celebrate the beauty of high school football. And that’s part of the reason for the success of the book. It’s magical.”

Banning the book, Bissinger said, is “a little bit too late since the book has sold 2 million copies. It sold those copies because people relate to it.”

Removing the book from school libraries is bad enough, but using AI to make that decision?

“Frankly, we have more important things to do than spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to protect kids from books,” Exman told Popular Science. “At the same time, we do have a legal and ethical obligation to comply with the law. Our goal here really is a defensible process.”

“Why don’t you read the book first and then make up your mind?” Bissinger said. “Instead, you rely on AI? … This is what happens when you’re actually too lazy to do what you need to do.

“It’s also symbolic of how we don’t read anymore. Let’s go to AI. Pathetic. Yeah, absolutely pathetic, and infuriating and dangerous. Because who knows what other school districts will do in Iowa or around the country.

“Whoever determined this is a complete idiot. And frankly, whoever determined this is a danger.

“America is a wonderful, great country. And one of the reasons it’s a wonderful, great country is that people have the right to choose. This is not Nazi Germany. This (banning books) is similar, and I hate that comparison. It is similar to the book-burnings in Nazi Germany.

“Tell me the difference. Is this the society we want to become?”

s-l400.jpg

I am planning to petition my district to remove any children’s book with reference to “mom” or “dad” as I think depictions of the family unit can bring up conversations and questions that young children should not be having.

(Kidding, but I would love to see that just to prove a point how dumb this all is)

Artificial Intelligence determined which books are banned in Mason City...

The Mason City Community School District in Iowa has utilized artificial intelligence (AI) to compile a list of books containing sexual content. This resulted in the removal of 19 books from the shelves of grades 7-12 libraries. The school district first created a list of books that had previously been objected to or called for removal. It then employed ChatGPT, an AI chatbot, to determine if these books contained descriptions or depictions of sex acts. If confirmed by ChatGPT, the books were taken off the shelves and stored in administrative offices for further review.

Validated is probably more the correct word for the usage of ChatGPT. To make it on the list to have it run against ChatGPT in the first place though, it had to "previously been objected to or called for removal." Who's the set of losers that objected to Friday Night Lights?! I'm guessing Mason City band nerds.

Validated is probably more the correct word for the usage of ChatGPT. To make it on the list to have it run against ChatGPT in the first place though, it had to "previously been objected to or called for removal." Who's the set of losers that objected to Friday Night Lights?! I'm guessing Mason City band nerds.
I don't think so. Channel 9 eyeball news had a clip last night and I believe the assistant superintendent who was interviewed said they had to go though every book and that she or others could be held criminally liable if books violated the law...

haha, wow that was my favorite book in HS. Came out my jr year and the one copy our library had was always reserved. There's no room for Friday Night Lights in Iowa anymore

I don't think so. Channel 9 eyeball news had a clip last night and I believe the assistant superintendent who was interviewed said they had to go though every book and that she or others could be held criminally liable if books violated the law...

This KCRG article says this:

This spring, lawmakers approved a new law requiring public schools to remove all books that have “descriptions or visual depictions of a sex act” but exclude religious texts. School libraries must develop “age-appropriate” collections. Exman said she went through a list of commonly challenged books and found 19 in the middle and high school libraries.

Your first article posted earlier says this:

The school district first created a list of books that had previously been objected to or called for removal. It then employed ChatGPT, an AI chatbot, to determine if these books contained descriptions or depictions of sex acts. If confirmed by ChatGPT, the books were taken off the shelves and stored in administrative offices for further review.

Looks to me like ChatGPT and AI were only used on those 19 books. Can't really tell from these articles exactly how the 19 books were chosen to go through it though. Was it Exman doing some kind of review? Or was it the "list" previously objected to? I'm sticking with band nerds.

haha, wow that was my favorite book in HS. Came out my jr year and the one copy our library had was always reserved. There's no room for Friday Night Lights in Iowa anymore
Same. That book is tremendous and really holds up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT