ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin statue in front of Carver Hawkeye Arena?

If so, it needs to have her shooting into the arena. ;)

This is interesting....

MAGA-man Gable. Glad they moved his statue. I'd prefer it be sent to the Johnson County Landfill.

But sure, a Caitlin statue would be awesome at the entrance to Carver-Hawkeye.
What male basketball star would be most appropriate for a similar honor?

MAGA-man Gable. Glad they moved his statue. I'd prefer it be sent to the Johnson County Landfill.

We've had many amazing basketball players over the years. But I don't know that any are worthy of a statue as nobody really set themselves apart from the rest of the pack of greats the way that Kinnick and Slater had on the football side.

The greats get the jersey retirements like Luka, BJ, Ronnie, Megan, etc. Hayden has a statue, but it isn't on campus so I'm not sure it counts. True legends get statues/reliefs on campus. Kinnick, Slater, Gable, and Clark are legends. If Hawkins hadn't been wrongfully kicked out of school in the 60s, he may have been able to be at that level too.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

Incredibly poor taste.
Move your political agenda to the side.
This discussion is about people that have truly made a difference in their sport.
Shame on you.

Chris Street would be my male choice for a statue, more for the Hawkeye spirit he embodied versus his accomplishments (cut short or who knows what they could have been).
If the money is there to put a statue of Clark, go for it. It's another recruiting tool. Bring a girl on campus, show her the statue, and fill her head with "Look what we do for our legends. Maybe you'll have a statue of your own someday."

Though not an athlete Herkys all over would be nice and have a little spirit. I
know that it has already been done but I thought it turned out well.
Go Hawks!!!

where is Garza's statue?

Love Garza.... But he wasn't the phenom that Caitlin is. She have the person and team hardware. Plus the impact she had on the entire women's game. Certainly statue worthy.

But I'd hope they'd wait a few years. Not that she wouldn't deserve it now.... It just feels like it MEANS more when you have to wait.

Legends like Kinnick, Gable, and Hayden had to wait years/decades.

You are why liberals have become pariahs for most traditional Americans. What Dan Gable did for the University of Iowa cannot be overstated and yet you disrespect him simply because he isn't a budding Marxist. Go cheer for someone else because you are definitley NOT a Hawkeye fan. :mad:

Chris Street would be my male choice for a statue, more for the Hawkeye spirit he embodied versus his accomplishments (cut short or who knows what they could have been).
If the money is there to put a statue of Clark, go for it. It's another recruiting tool. Bring a girl on campus, show her the statue, and fill her head with "Look what we do for our legends. Maybe you'll have a statue of your own someday."
There is no need to try and find a male worthy of being made into a statue at this time. When and if one rises to the surface, we will all know it.

There's a reason why statues are for dead people,.. By waiting until they are gone you ensure that the selected individual doesn't do something stupid to embarrass your decision,.. JoePa ring a bell?

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
If so, it needs to have her shooting into the arena. ;)

This is interesting....

Speaking of Clark…my wife (no pics:) and I are down in Destin, Florida this week for a little vacation. I had a Hawkeye shirt on when the waiter at restaurant said he never watched women’s basketball until he saw CC play. The last two years he said he tried to watch as many of her games, as possible. 😉

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
You are why liberals have become pariahs for most traditional Americans. What Dan Gable did for the University of Iowa cannot be overstated and yet you disrespect him simply because he isn't a budding Marxist. Go cheer for someone else because you are definitley NOT a Hawkeye fan. :mad:
You shouldn’t be talking dude. STFU yourself.

Amazing to see politics reduce the other worldly achievements of a man to rubbish.

If you hate Gable you must hate CC. She is a white Catholic in a Republican family. Sucks for you.

In general I’m not a fan of statues honoring athletes or coaches, especially while still living. IMHO the person should do something extraordinary outside of sports. I am OK with the Kinnick statue but the others could go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT