ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Baptist pbp/discussion

Very powerful! But that's against a freshman. I want to see our guys dominating guys they should be able to dominate. Wrestling close is what costs us often times at NCAAs. Don't like what I saw at 49 or 57 from an NCAAs perspective...
Sorry 8-1 isn't close. Sometimes people just wrestle tough. Don't think too hard. How many time did Alex marinelli wrestle "close" but was dominant? A ton! A 5-3 match back in the day could be dominant. 2 takedowns and an escape vs 3 escapes.

3rd: Hill starts down, A rides for a while, stall point for Hill, 10-3, OOB. A cuts him, 11-3. TD Hill, esc A, 14-4, OOB. Hill will win by major 15-

Hawks win 40-0! Not the toughest competition, but Hawks looked pretty sharp for the first time out.
Very encouraging first dual of the season. The guys looked aggressive and looking to score points

We looked good. That 3 pointer is going to make a huge difference...especially late. Handled the funk of a few guys real well. Was impressed with Caliendo. As others have said, 174-Hwy looked good. Liked how Swafford shut Haas down when he had a little bit of Mo and the crowd noise on his side. Didn't panic...just stuffed the other dude.

Sorry 8-1 isn't close. Sometimes people just wrestle tough. Don't think too hard. How many time did Alex marinelli wrestle "close" but was dominant? A ton! A 5-3 match back in the day could be dominant. 2 takedowns and an escape vs 3 escapes.
8-1 is close now that a TD is worth 3. And please be careful using the Marinelli comparisons as I can easily com e back and ask you how many times did Marinelli wrestle "close" and end up losing at NCAAs. As much as I appreciate our guys respecting their opponents, I don't want them to respect them so much that it results in losing in the 3rd. And frankly we've seen too much of that for my comfort. And FWIW I love Alex, but wrestling close cost him some matches in my opinion that he probably shouldn't have lost. I want our hammers dominating; we need bonus points from them when it matters. And we should train like we fight; the training is now and the fight comes in March. I want our fellas trained to avoid "close" matches.

Very impressive first dual. I was very impressed by the back half of the lineup. Dominated every weight other than 149. The youtube link worked great and the announcer gets an A from me. Hawks looked great late in matches and wore the CBU wrestlers down late. Hard to complain about a 40-0 win with a ton of new faces.

Very powerful! But that's against a freshman. I want to see our guys dominating guys they should be able to dominate. Wrestling close is what costs us often times at NCAAs. Don't like what I saw at 49 or 57 from an NCAAs perspective...
Did franek bonus or pin a lot of guys the last few years?? Not super athletic, so the style we see is what got him this far. If he can eek out a close win against Haines, I’ll be ecstatic. What was he ranked coming out of high school?

Caliendo had great level changes tonight which created good angles. We did a nice job finishing on the ankle pick/low singles and rode well. A lot of our guys looked smooth.
Drake needs to continue working on his bottom wrestling.
BT-still gives up his legs to easily.
Real is Real
VV- never been a fan of boots. I could be persuaded.
Franek- never in trouble, he’ll be tough to beat
Caliendo-he has a high ceiling
Riggins-impressed with his TD’s. Very measured tonight
Swafford- enjoyable street fight kind of match.
Glazier-see Riggins
Hill-Dominant performance. Good for him.
Grateful the season has started.

8-1 is close now that a TD is worth 3. And please be careful using the Marinelli comparisons as I can easily com e back and ask you how many times did Marinelli wrestle "close" and end up losing at NCAAs. As much as I appreciate our guys respecting their opponents, I don't want them to respect them so much that it results in losing in the 3rd. And frankly we've seen too much of that for my comfort. And FWIW I love Alex, but wrestling close cost him some matches in my opinion that he probably shouldn't have lost. I want our hammers dominating; we need bonus points from them when it matters. And we should train like we fight; the training is now and the fight comes in March. I want our fellas trained to avoid "close" matches.
You are reading too much into a first match of the season. Franek never wrestled in the black singlet before. So don't judge on what you have never done I presume. 8-1 isn't close. That's a dominant match even with 3 pt takedown. Loosen up my guy.

Reactions: Chuck C
Did franek bonus or pin a lot of guys the last few years?? Not super athletic, so the style we see is what got him this far. If he can eek out a close win against Haines, I’ll be ecstatic. What was he ranked coming out of high school?
Are you kidding!! If he eeks out any kind of win against Haines I'll be right there with you. :)

As for HS rankings, WIN had him 5th at 160, just ahead of Shane Griffith and behind Peyton Robb; Flo's final 2018 Big Board had him 48th overall, about 12th in the 157 range.

You are reading too much into a first match of the season. Franek never wrestled in the black singlet before. So don't judge on what you have never done I presume. 8-1 isn't close. That's a dominant match even with 3 pt takedown. Loosen up my guy.
I don't need to loosen up; I'm just fine. I'm just stating my opinion and then perhaps providing a counter argument to part of your opinion. I like what I saw tonight for the most part. But I'm still going to provide my opinion on where I thought we could have done better. If Franek can win like that all year, I'll be happy as can be. My point is that I don't want our guys to settle for close matches against opponents that are nowhere near their caliber. I've seen close matches bite us in the ass come NCAAs and I want us to improve from that perspective.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I don't need to loosen up; I'm just fine. I'm just stating my opinion and then perhaps providing a counter argument to part of your opinion. I like what I saw tonight for the most part. But I'm still going to provide my opinion on where I thought we could have done better. If Franek can win like that all year, I'll be happy as can be. My point is that I don't want our guys to settle for close matches against opponents that are nowhere near their caliber. I've seen close matches bite us in the ass come NCAAs and I want us to improve from that perspective.
8-1 isn't close. Stop saying it was close.

Reactions: Libertylover
It was great to watch wrestling again and the new faces!

But, we didn't really learn a thing, it's just California Baptist.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
8-1 isn't close. Stop saying it was close.
I don’t know…an 8-1 win by the senior and #2 man in the country against an unranked cherry freshman during an era where TDs are worth 3 points…that sounds pretty close. I never indicated Franek was ever in danger of losing or anything crazy like that. You choose your terminology and I’ll choose mine. :)

Reactions: HawkFan1986
The kid from Cal Baptist was a Nebraska transfer that actually beat Blockhus last year, if I recall....
And he did have a couple close losses to decent talent. But he also had some rally bad losses as well. Come NCAAs a win is a great thing but I would like to see more cuts and TDs in some matches and getting bonus points vice having 3+ mins of riding time and a decision, especially with this 3-point TD.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
This 3-point takedown is forcing more action. The old hanging around waiting for overtime is out the door.

Agreed. Creates a sense of urgency if we give up a takedown. Also, having a 3 point lead in the third is not longer an almost automatic pass to a win. It will force poor shots from tired wrestlers.

Also, the ref called a weird stall or two but I’m good with how quick he was calling them. Better that than opposite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT