ADVERTISEMENT

Cali trip

InsaneHawkJJP

HR All-American
Apr 1, 2013
Decorah
Help plan our family vacation to California.
Need some advice on where to go and what to see. We’re flying into either LA or San Fran and our focus will be nature not the cities. We’ll be there at the end of May early June for about 8 days. I’ve got 3 teens and 1 preteen. Wife(no pic)is trying to convince me to waste a day at Universal Studios, I’m not feeling it, is that worth it? We’re definitely going to Big Sur and Sequoia NP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

We go to the Central Coast every 3 or 4 years. We try to hit one of the parks in eastern CA while we're there. Those are either a long day trip, or a 2 day side trip, depending on how far north or south they are.

Hearst Castle, North of Cambria on Hwy 1 is actually really cool. Take a tour or two and walk around the grounds, worth it. JP Burns park is 30 min or so north of there, some great views of the Pacific and the Ewoldson trail has beautiful scenery.

If you like hiking, there's a bunch of good trails that range from easy to medium, but have great scenery all the way from San Luis Obispo to Monterey Bay.

If you're into wine, the area from Paso Robles down to a bit south of SLO has some great wineries. A friend who was born in Santa Rosa but lives in Atascadero now said he prefers the Central Coast wineries. They're nearly as good and nowhere near as crowded, he said it much more relaxed scene.

Oh, and that time frame is really good to hit the Central Coast/Big Sur. The coastal fog normally isn't an issue until mid June.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Oh, and that time frame is really good to hit the Central Coast/Big Sur. The coastal fog normally isn't an issue until mid June.
Yep, June gloom doesn’t usually hit until mid-June. You can take PCH all the way, stop in Santa Barbara, seafood chowder at Morro Rock, Hearst Castle and the elephant seals preserve in Cambridge, tri-tip in Santa Maria. Great wineries all the way up to Paso Robles

Need some advice on where to go and what to see. We’re flying into either LA or San Fran and our focus will be nature not the cities. We’ll be there at the end of May early June for about 8 days. I’ve got 3 teens and 1 preteen. Wife(no pic)is trying to convince me to waste a day at Universal Studios, I’m not feeling it, is that worth it? We’re definitely going to Big Sur and Sequoia NP. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I would fly into to SF, Oakland or San Jose and visit Yosemite, Sequoia and Big Sur. You could also check out Monterey, maybe spend a day in SF and check out Muir Woods, Golden Gate (bridge and park).

Yep, June gloom doesn’t usually hit until mid-June. You can take PCH all the way, stop in Santa Barbara, seafood chowder at Morro Rock, Hearst Castle and the elephant seals preserve in Cambridge, tri-tip in Santa Maria. Great wineries all the way up to Paso Robles

Yeah, we made the mistake of going early Aug one year. My wife was determined to spend on day at the beach, so we went to Pismo. Nothing like hanging on the beach when it's 56 and foggy. It was colder seeing the elephant seals.

If the teenagers are looking to go to college after they graduate, my suggestion (take it for whatever it's worth) is to try and fit in visits to some college campuses while you're there. You've got UCLA, USC, Cal, and Stanford around where you'll be.

One of the things I'm glad we did for the daughter was to take her to around two dozen different campuses before she graduated. We'd fit visits into vacations so she could see the campus, get a tshirt from the bookstore, etc.

So when she was ready to apply to colleges, she had a real good idea of the things she liked, and didn't like, and could make a more informed choice about what would be best for her.

What I would do is forget so cal and fly into San Fran. Do the tourist stuff there then drive to the Sierras and stay in Tahoe or Mammoth. The ski resorts are huge mountain bike trails. Your kids will love it

Went to Monterey and San Fran. Had a blast! Gorgeous views, tons to do outside. Enjoyed the excursion out to Alcatraz way more than I thought I would. My wife(no pics) wanted to go whale watching. Booked that out of Monterey, once again I enjoyed way more than I thought I would. Carmel, Pebble Beach, just so much to do….

Universal in LA sucks compared to Orlando FWIW. I‘d also suggest flying into San Fran if you’re looking for outdoor/nature stuff to do.
But it’s got the actual back lot where TV and movies were filmed. That’s pretty cool

Reactions: RileyHawk
I'll second making the trip to Yosemite. We did a few days there in early June. It is just incredible.

Reactions: Torg
Went to Monterey and San Fran. Had a blast! Gorgeous views, tons to do outside. Enjoyed the excursion out to Alcatraz way more than I thought I would. My wife(no pics) wanted to go whale watching. Booked that out of Monterey, once again I enjoyed way more than I thought I would. Carmel, Pebble Beach, just so much to do….
That’s the problem, too much to see and do in such a short amount of time. Universal is off the agenda now. Flying into LA, we couldn’t get the dates we wanted into SF. Appreciate it guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerHawk33

1) If you can get to the Florida versions of Disney and Universal, there’s no need to visit the Cali versions as they are not nearly as big or good. If you want to add some roller coaster action in, then I recommend Six Flags Magic Mountain or Knott’s Berry Farm as they’re both pretty unique. Magic Mountain is like any of the Cedar Fair parks you’re probably used to ie terrible food, terrible theming, low rent meth loving crowds and sh+^+y customer service but a large collection of really good roller coasters (6FMM is my favorite “roller coaster park” even over the other Six Flags and Cedar Fairs). Knott’s Berry Farm on the other hand is like Dollywood and Silver Dollar City, great food, better theming than all but the Universal, Disney and to a lesser extent Busch Gardens theme parks, and good customer service but not as extensive or intense of a coaster selection.

2) In choosing between San Fran and LA as your starting and end point, it comes down to priorities. Food and scenery are FAR better in San Fran, but LA definitely has more to do. The beaches at both places blow #*%* Compared to Florida, Hawaii, and the OBX in looks plus the water is cold even in LA as the Pacific is at least ten degrees colder than the Atlantic on equivalent latitudes, so only if you are wowed by New Jersey and New York beaches should you waste anymore Time than a quick hour beach walk and photo shoot on any of the beaches. If you HAVE to do a beach, then I recommend Matador or one of the other more secluded beaches around Malibu. But yeah…only Midwesterners and Left Coast residents are amazed by the beaches out there. To a Floridian they’re all garbage.

3) So-called ”Central California” between Santa Cruz or Monterey and Santa Barbara is by far my favorite area in the West Coast. Not only do you get amazing wineries on par with but far more cheaper and more photogenic than Napa and Sonoma in the Santa Ynez mountains and the Santa Maria Valley but it’s also fun/tasty to the Lompoc “Wine Ghetto” in Santa Barbara itself as you can easily stumble from one to the next. And of course you can redo the Sideways movie and grab some Santa Maria style bbq at The Hitching Post 2 (or I prefer the Far Western Tavern for that style of BBQ). California Highway 1 is definitely the most photogenic Highway in mainland America so set aside a full day just to drive and do photos and short hikes at the many parks and “vista points” along the way in between Saint Babs and Monterey. Also, Pfeiffer State Park is one of the best state parks in the country along with Niagara in NY, Goblin Valley in Utah and Bahia Honda in Florida. So even though it’s not a National Park do not skip it. Also if you want to hang out where I proposed to my wife, it’s the famous Bixby Bridge.

2880px-Bixby_Creek_Bridge%2C_California%2C_USA_-_May_2013.jpg

I’ve got some chores to do now but I’ll come back with lots more tips. But I’ll leave you with this one, don’t just hit San Fran and go South or LA and go North. Sausalito with its amazing Muir Woods filled with giant redwoods is a must do north of the Golden Gate and I’d consider the San Diego Zoo a must do for any first time trip to southern California as it’s the best zoo in the world.

But it’s got the actual back lot where TV and movies were filmed. That’s pretty cool
Yeah, that was kinda cool. CSB time, my cousin has a friend that’s pretty high up at Fox studios and we got a private tour while filming and whatnot was going on. Saw one of the baldwin brothers wandering around. Not sure which one.

That’s the problem, too much to see and do in such a short amount of time. Universal is off the agenda now. Flying into LA, we couldn’t get the dates we wanted into SF. Appreciate it guys.

Thats too bad, I personally much prefer San Fran plus Yosemite and Muir Woods (so you see giant mountain sequoias and coastal mossy redwoods in the same trip) to LA plus San Diego. But, I’m sure you’ll still have a good time.

Reactions: Torg
Thats too bad, I personally much prefer San Fran plus Yosemite and Muir Woods (so you see giant mountain sequoias and coastal mossy redwoods in the same trip) to LA plus San Diego. But, I’m sure you’ll still have a good time.
That’s what I’d prefer. I’m trying to convince the np wife that’s the way to go.

i love socal and likely so would your teens. universal actually is pretty good. as for nature/yosemite/muir/norcal locales they are fantastic when it isn’t cold as shit. i know that’s a different take than most but…

We’ve had a lot of rain the past 24 hours. Check road conditions, especially on the PCH due to potential landslides.

Reactions: BelemNole
Toss in another vote for central coast…. fly into SF and fly out of Burbank/LA/SD.

Personally, i would go north towards Mendicino… but that time of year is a crap shoot for the fog burning off along the coast.

Take the coast highway and see the gems long the coast.

Plenty of great smaller colleges along the route. Also, if you ar into it, see some of the missions.

Try some hiking in Humboldt County.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT