ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Peterson back in court to fight murder conviction with help of L.A. Innocence Project

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
"the fact that the Innocence Project even took on Peterson's case is significant."

Scott Peterson back in court to fight murder conviction with help of L.A. Innocence Project​

Carlos Castaneda
Updated Tue, March 12, 2024 at 6:48 PM CDT·4 min read

Convicted killer Scott Peterson appeared in a San Mateo County courtroom Tuesday morning as he fights to overturn his 2004 conviction for the murders of his pregnant wife and their unborn son.
Peterson attended Tuesday morning's status conference hearing remotely and did not speak much outside of formalities like, "Yes, your honor."

The Los Angeles Innocence Project took up Peterson's case in January, filing a motion for DNA testing to clear Peterson possibly. There are three motions pending, including one for post-conviction DNA testing - specifically surrounding a van that was near the Peterson's home that was involved in a burglary at or near the time of Laci's disappearance.

The Los Angeles Innocence Project recently used DNA evidence to overturn the murder conviction of Maurice Hastings, who spent nearly four decades in prison before he was declared factually innocent earlier this month.
Scott Peterson Oct 2022 mug shot. / Credit: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

Scott Peterson Oct 2022 mug shot. / Credit: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

"We were very, very specific. We spent a lot of time trying to suss out what, frankly, are very alarming deficiencies in the discovery that was provided to the defense at the time of trial," said Paula Mitchell with the LA Innocence Project. "Those are the items that we are requesting. The nature of the request is not a fishing expedition. They're very precise and very specific."

Although the case is originally from Stanislaus County and is being prosecuted by the county's District Attorney's Office, the San Mateo County Superior Court in Redwood City is serving as the venue for Tuesday's hearing as it was during the original trial.
Peterson was convicted in November 2004 of the first-degree murder of Laci Peterson, 27, and second-degree murder of the unborn son they were going to name Conner, dumping them into San Francisco Bay on Christmas Eve 2002. Their bodies were found months after they were reported missing from their home in Modesto. The judge moved the case to San Mateo County because of the concern people in Stanislaus County had made up their minds about Peterson's guilt.

Peterson was arrested in April 2003 shortly after Amber Frey, a massage therapist living in Fresno, told police that they had begun dating a month before his wife's death and that he had told her his wife was dead.

Outside of court on Tuesday, Peterson's attorney Paula Canny referenced the affair in comments to reporters.

"What if he's not guilty, okay?" said Canny. "What if he had an affair and was a crappy husband? What if he didn't kill her? If that
[DNA] testing shows what they think it's going to show – it's a whole new ballgame, so to speak."

She said the fact that the Innocence Project even took on Peterson's case is significant.

"That organization, which only represents people who the project believes is innocent and can be exonerated by DNA evidence, has taken this up," Canny said.

Also present was Peterson's sister-in-law and fierce advocate, Janey Peterson. She did not address the media after the proceedings wrapped up, but Mitchell provided the following statement:

"The Los Angeles Innocence Project filed motions in January asking the Court to order further discovery of evidence and allow new DNA testing to support our investigation into Mr. Peterson's claim of actual innocence. Today's hearing was just the first step in a long process. We have not commented on our motions, and we will continue to present our case in court - where it should be adjudicated."

Peterson was sentenced to death in March 2005. He had admitted to police he was fishing on the day his wife disappeared but during the trial, he could not explain what type of fish he was trying to catch that day. Peterson had also sold his wife's car, researched selling their house, and turned the baby nursery into a storage room in the weeks after Laci disappeared.

The California Supreme Court in 2020 overturned Peterson's death sentence after finding that potential jurors were improperly dismissed after saying they disagreed with the death penalty but would follow the law and impose it.

In 2021, Peterson was resentenced to life in prison without parole under the glaring eyes of Laci Peterson's family. Peterson was moved from San Quentin State Prison, now known as San Quentin Rehabilitation Center, to Mule Creek State Prison east of Sacramento in 2022.

Later that year, a judge denied Peterson's plea for a new trial, ruling that a former juror was not guilty of misconduct during the trial.

Out of all the cases they could have taken, the LA Innocence Project chose this one? I don't recall all the details but I believe her body ended up in the same are where he was "fishing" that day. What a coincidence.

I watched a couple videos about this case after I saw the innocence project news a few weeks ago. There was a lot of circumstantial evidence that made him look very guilty.

I’m open to seeing what they’ve found as there have been plenty of cases in the past where someone looked extremely guilty and then it was discovered, often through dna, that they were not the perpetrator.

This is the same Scott Peterson who was pulled over and arrested driving toward Mexico carrying $15,000 in cash, 4 cell phones, camping equipment, bleached hair, and newly grown facial hair. Like OJ, he was probably just out looking for the “real” killer.

I followed this case somewhat closely back when it happened. The guy did it.

This is the same Scott Peterson who was pulled over and arrested driving toward Mexico carrying $15,000 in cash, 4 cell phones, camping equipment, bleached hair, and newly grown facial hair. Like OJ, he was probably just out looking for the “real” killer.

Maybe he did but the innocence project doesn't usually take cases unless they have a strong case the person didn't do it and they can prove it.

I do remember this case at the time and the national media convicting the man publicly before the trial even began. They sensationalized the hell out of it. The evidence the media presented always seemed fairly contrived and weak. There was a lot of pressure to convict on that jury.

Will be curious why they took up the case and what they have to say. I tend to believe the innocence project over prosecutors

Reactions: TennNole17

Maybe he did it, but the evidence was almost 100% circumstantial and very, very little actual physical evidence.

I watched a couple videos about this case after I saw the innocence project news a few weeks ago. There was a lot of circumstantial evidence that made him look very guilty.

I’m open to seeing what they’ve found as there have been plenty of cases in the past where someone looked extremely guilty and then it was discovered, often through dna, that they were not the perpetrator.
Ya, I'm curious what they've discovered. How crazy would it be if he were, in fact, innocent.

I followed the case too and will be really surprised if he is innocent. But as mentioned above, definitely everything was circumstantial. If he is exonerated, and the circumstantial evidence and his behaviors were all coincidences, that will be something.

Reactions: BelemNole
Seems that if there wasn't much physical evidence to begin with if you now have some physical evidence it should be tested so you can either confirm the conviction or reverse it if necessary.

I remember this case being on the news but didn't pay close attention.

While on the phone with his mistress telling her he is in France.

Seems that if there wasn't much physical evidence to begin with if you now have some physical evidence it should be tested so you can either confirm the conviction or reverse it if necessary.

I remember this case being on the news but didn't pay close attention.
They finally found the bodies of his wife and unborn baby near where I believe he claimed he was fishing. But they had been in the water for several days.

I think some jurors need to have 100% DNA evidence or have someone who is filmed committing the crime to convict someone. Still amazes me the chick from Orlando, Casey Anthony, is running around free.

They finally found the bodies of his wife and unborn baby near where I believe he claimed he was fishing. But they had been in the water for several days.

I think some jurors need to have 100% DNA evidence or have someone who is filmed committing the crime to convict someone. Still amazes me the chick from Orlando, Casey Anthony, is running around free.

Based on what I read on Wikipedia to catch up on it I probably would have voted guilty. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some DNA evidence just to feel more confident in my conviction.

Casey Anthony also should have been convicted as far as I'm concerned.

Yep. Nancy Grace tried to get her convicted too, but it didn't work. The difference is.....

Reactions: goldmom

Hell yes he did it. He’s lucky they dismantled the gas chamber.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT