ADVERTISEMENT

California has one year of water left

IMCC965

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 12, 2009
North Liberty
Says NASA. Good time for the EPA to tell that smelt to go to hell. At least it's a start.

In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times[/I], NASA senior water scientist Jay Famiglietti warned that California only has about one year's worth of water supply left in its snowpack, reservoirs, and groundwater storage. If conservation efforts are not ramped up, and soon, the state could be facing a full-blown "crisis."
NASA satellite data reportedly shows that the state's water supply level was 34 million acre-feet below normal in 2014. Unfortunately, this year's numbers indicate anything but improvement.
January of 2015 was the 0.9 inches, or 5 percent of the state's March average. That water content level set a new, undesirable state record.
As for California's underground supply, NASA has been sounding the alarm about dropping groundwater levels since October of last year. The rate of groundwater pumping has only increased since then. According to Famiglietti, a full two-thirds of the state's 12 million acre-feet loss in water supply per year is due to excessive groundwater pumping.
While some recent minor storms brought in by a weak El Nino system allowed DWR tochoked off by state bureaucrats.
"In short, we have no paddle to navigate this crisis," Famiglietti wrote in the Times[/I].
Still, the NASA scientist laid out several measures that could be taken immediately to help mitigate the worst of the drought's effects.
With already previously been taken by cities like Santa Cruz on a voluntary basis.
"There is no need for the rest of the state to hesitate," Famiglietti suggests.
Second, the scientist urges the swift implementation of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act of 2014, a law that mandates the creation of regional groundwater sustainability agencies by 2017. At its current pace of implementation, Famiglietti argues, "it will be 30 years before we even know what is working. By then, there may be no groundwater left to sustain."
Finally, Famiglietti wants California to create a task force of the state's foremost water experts, independent of the agencies and organizations that have already been founded in response to the drought. This task force would plan long-term strategies to combat water shortages, including exploring methods of countering a potential "mega-drought" that could last up to 35 years.
California and other Western states look set to break March heat records this weekend through early next week. California in particular is expected to see temperatures rise 20 degrees higher than normal for this time of year.
Famiglietti writes in the Times[/I] that California is losing the initiative: "Today, not tomorrow, is the time to begin."

Link

I mean this is bad news for a state that's landlocked and does't touch the largest body of water in the world.

The obvious question: Why isn't the attention being given to this real and imminent threat instead of wasted on speculation about what may happen generations from now?

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Originally posted by Lone Clone:
The obvious question: Why isn't the attention being given to this real and imminent threat instead of wasted on speculation about what may happen generations from now?
shortsighted answers cause more problems
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Reactions: artradley
Because Hillary Clinton used the wrong email.

Reactions: JWolf74
Originally posted by LuteHawk:

This is not the main reason that many residents
of California are moving to Colorado.
Why? So they can dam more rivers that only reach 5% of Californians? Oh BTW, its a DROUGHT! Maybe they should quit watering their palm trees and rock gardens.

Originally posted by IMCC965:
Says NASA. Good time for the EPA to tell that smelt to go to hell. At least it's a start.

In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times[/I], NASA senior water scientist Jay Famiglietti warned that California only has about one year's worth of water supply left in its snowpack, reservoirs, and groundwater storage. If conservation efforts are not ramped up, and soon, the state could be facing a full-blown "crisis."
NASA satellite data reportedly shows that the state's water supply level was 34 million acre-feet below normal in 2014. Unfortunately, this year's numbers indicate anything but improvement.
January of 2015 was the 0.9 inches, or 5 percent of the state's March average. That water content level set a new, undesirable state record.
As for California's underground supply, NASA has been sounding the alarm about dropping groundwater levels since October of last year. The rate of groundwater pumping has only increased since then. According to Famiglietti, a full two-thirds of the state's 12 million acre-feet loss in water supply per year is due to excessive groundwater pumping.
While some recent minor storms brought in by a weak El Nino system allowed DWR tochoked off by state bureaucrats.
"In short, we have no paddle to navigate this crisis," Famiglietti wrote in the Times[/I].
Still, the NASA scientist laid out several measures that could be taken immediately to help mitigate the worst of the drought's effects.
With already previously been taken by cities like Santa Cruz on a voluntary basis.
Second, the scientist urges the swift implementation of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act of 2014, a law that mandates the creation of regional groundwater sustainability agencies by 2017. At its current pace of implementation, Famiglietti argues, "it will be 30 years before we even know what is working. By then, there may be no groundwater left to sustain."
Finally, Famiglietti wants California to create a task force of the state's foremost water experts, independent of the agencies and organizations that have already been founded in response to the drought. This task force would plan long-term strategies to combat water shortages, including exploring methods of countering a potential "mega-drought" that could last up to 35 years.
California and other Western states look set to break March heat records this weekend through early next week. California in particular is expected to see temperatures rise 20 degrees higher than normal for this time of year.
Famiglietti writes in the Times[/I] that California is losing the initiative: "Today, not tomorrow, is the time to begin."
Let's make it worse by opening the immigration floodgates so America can be brought to its knees while at the same time securing Democrat votes in perpetuity. Sincerely, the American left.

This is the sort of question one might have if they just read the headline and skipped the story. Are you still being distracted by boobs?

Because the same people oppose both.

How disingenuous can you get?

Reactions: Rudolph
I find this kind of story incredible.

Our daughter lives outside of Corona, CA. In her housing addition, it is MANDATORY that all homeowners keep their lawns watered. If they do not, they get fined.

So, in a housing addition that is built in a desert, in a state that has serious water supply problems, they FINE people for not watering their lawns.

What am I missing here?

Reactions: Gimmered
Originally posted by naturalmwa:
Are you still being distracted by boobs?
b13268549aba9d464812d1d37eccd26b0a62f55c9dbafebd8404f126b08e0069.jpg

Originally posted by IMCC965:

Clint Eastwood might have to move to Iowa.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
Meh, I don't live in California

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Currently about a quarter of Iowa is classified as abnormally dry. Just a year ago a higher percentage than that was in severe drought.
Large sections of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (Nod to Wildcat), are at the highest levels of drought. The same as sections of California.
You may not live in California, Swag, but this will affect you in the pocketbook. And, who is to say we won't have a dry year in Iowa?

Calif's reps passed laws that make it difficult to farm in other regions of the USA that don't need irrigation-the South. The republicans are in charge of congress, maybe they will pass a law to correct this problem-naaahhh.

California bitches be gettin’on they knees!
Chicken Little screams please bitch please!
Libs scream more government agencies!
May solve these prophecies!

It’s all ‘bout the benjamins baby!
It’s all ‘bout the benjamins baby!

me-and-my-co-workers-reaction-after-we-found-out-that-our-job-can-earn-more-money-than-our--managers-24794.gif

Reactions: timinatoria
Calif's reps passed laws that make it difficult to farm in other regions of the USA that don't need irrigation-the South.

HhhhhWUT??!!!??
California can "pass laws" that Alabama, Florida, Georgia etc, CANNOT FARM?!!!

HOLY HELL that's dumb.

Glad the wife and I are visiting in March...who am I kidding, we are just there for the wine anyways.

Yeah.....cuz.......Pssshhhhh....Who needs WATER to make WINE!!!?? Comes from grapes, right?:eek:

Wait are you suggesting they turn the wine back into water???

Just exactly WTF is wrong w you?

How about this, I will keep my consumption to 2014 and earlier vintages....fair?

Reactions: timinatoria
The reservoirs were all filled last year. It’s been a dry year so far but they went like 3 dry years before last year made up for all of them.

This stuff happens but it’s still February. Lots of time led to get a few feet of snow in the sierras.

The reservoirs were all filled last year. It’s been a dry year so far but they went like 3 dry years before last year made up for all of them.

This stuff happens but it’s still February. Lots of time led to get a few feet of snow in the sierras.

So, you're saying this stuff is cyclical?

No way!

Yet, climate change is a hoax. Yet another prediction from climate scientists coming true.

The lakes will fill up is a climate scientist prediction?

Sure it is. But we will also use that water up faster and we can't rely on record breaking rainfall every year. Look at Cape Town. It's already happening there. I'd be worried if I lived in Phoenix, Tucson, or really anywhere in the desert southwest right now.

Sure it is. But we will also use that water up faster and we can't rely on record breaking rainfall every year. Look at Cape Town. It's already happening there. I'd be worried if I lived in Phoenix, Tucson, or really anywhere in the desert southwest right now.

LOL.... drought or flood, it's all climate change, amirite?

Did California recently build a desalination plant South of LA? I thought I read its the largest in the nation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT