ADVERTISEMENT

Calling my shot on new Big 12

HawkOptimist

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
Arizona, BYU, Utah, UCF, Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State will be the new and eventual big boys in Big 12 football. Colorado (if Deion stays and continues to pull in top talent), K-State and Texas Tech maybe. After that you might see an Iowa State, Kansas, Arizona State and others compete for a conf title once in a great while.

Yeah, I’ve also heard the rumblings that things are likely moving toward more of an NFL “AFC v NFC” type look in the next 5-10 years for football whereby there will be two super conferences… with the SEC and B1G being those two conferences, and a handful of teams from the Big 12 and ACC will be plucked to join them. All remaining teams would be SOL competing for a separate, less prestigious national title of their own. Kinda like there’s a World Series for MLB and then a playoff for AAA, AA and single A minor leagues.

Might be scary times for schools like Kansas or Iowa State.

If I were a fan of a new Big 12 school, the obvious upside is there are no dominant bluebloods to overcome every year... no Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio St., Michigan, Bama, Georgia, etc. That makes for a much, much easier path to a Big 12 title. The downside is that their strength of schedule ratings are going to tumble compared to what they're used to, and I highly doubt you'll ever see more than 2 Big 12 teams at most make the 12-team playoff, whereas the B1G and SEC will probably average 4 every year.

Arizona, BYU, Utah, UCF, Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State will be the new and eventual big boys in Big 12 football. Colorado (if Deion stays and continues to pull in top talent), K-State and Texas Tech maybe. After that you might see an Iowa State, Kansas, Arizona State and others compete for a conf title once in a great while.
you really went out on a limb here

Opinions are like…. We all have them.

UCF is a mid major that I’m sure the Big12 is regretting adding them already. ….old big 8ers +utah, AsU, AZ…maybe byu will take turns at an auto bid. Hard to see this league getting much traction for an at large bid.

Opinions are like…. We all have them.

UCF is a mid major that I’m sure the Big12 is regretting adding them already. ….old big 8ers +utah, AsU, AZ…maybe byu will take turns at an auto bid. Hard to see this league getting much traction for an at large bid.
Being the second largest university in the country and now jumping to a stronger conference than where they were before … plus being in Florida … I stand by my prediction that they’ll become a power in the conference IF the Big 12 survives. Again, I said “eventual” in my original post.

Being the second largest university in the country and now jumping to a stronger conference than where they were before … plus being in Florida … I stand by my prediction that they’ll become a power in the conference IF the Big 12 survives. Again, I said “eventual” in my original post.
Didn’t realize UCF was that big. Who is the largest?

Yeah, I’ve also heard the rumblings that things are likely moving toward more of an NFL “AFC v NFC” type look in the next 5-10 years for football whereby there will be two super conferences… with the SEC and B1G being those two conferences, and a handful of teams from the Big 12 and ACC will be plucked to join them. All remaining teams would be SOL competing for a separate, less prestigious national title of their own. Kinda like there’s a World Series for MLB and then a playoff for AAA, AA and single A minor leagues.

Might be scary times for schools like Kansas or Iowa State.
I don’t know, could be exciting for Kansas or Iowa State fans to win a AA championship some year.

The 4 schools they added this year were awful including BYU and UCF. Arizona has been terrible for quite awhile until this year. Kansas will be top 2-3 next year and as long as Leipold stays there they’ll be a top 4 program in that conference moving forward.

ISU has an extremely young roster with decent talent to compete in the new B12. Next year is going to be an important step for the trajectory of that program. I would say they sort of lucked out with the gambling scandal forcing a lot of young guys to get good experience.

If they have a good year a decent number will get poached, but if they earn a spot in the CFP they should be able to pick up some decent replacements.

If they fall flat, I could see them no worse than in a second tier in that conference since they have one of the larger fanbases comparatively.

ISU has an extremely young roster with decent talent to compete in the new B12. Next year is going to be an important step for the trajectory of that program. I would say they sort of lucked out with the gambling scandal forcing a lot of young guys to get good experience.

If they have a good year a decent number will get poached, but if they earn a spot in the CFP they should be able to pick up some decent replacements.

If they fall flat, I could see them no worse than in a second tier in that conference since they have one of the larger fanbases comparatively.
They’ve had an “extremely young” roster every year for the last 30 years!! The narrative out of Ames never changes. There are plenty of teams with young rosters… the difference is, the young talent at other schools is usually better than the young talent at Iowa State. But I guess why wouldn’t a fan buy into the sunshine and hope the Iowa State media is always floating?

This substandard conference gives a hell of a lot easier path to the playoff than Iowa has.

The future is the playoff. The rest of the post season games are irrelevant. So many people opting out it’s like hoping up a Junior Varsity game.

My question is when do studs start optioning out of playoff games?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
They’ve had an “extremely young” roster every year for the last 30 years!! The narrative out of Ames never changes. There are plenty of teams with young rosters… the difference is, the young talent at other schools is usually better than the young talent at Iowa State. But I guess why wouldn’t a fan buy into the sunshine and hope the Iowa State media is always floating?
Well the young talent at ISU did quite well against the talent in the B12 this year which is what matters.

Their path to the CFP doesn’t run through Iowa City. It runs thorough a bunch of teams equivalent or worse to the historical B10 west.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT