ADVERTISEMENT

Camping trip cooking suggestions.

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
The annual camping trip to Indiana is upon us, and I have to cook for the wife’s cousins on Saturday. She vetoed my idea of brats steeped over a camp fire in Yeungling with kraut and onions. Too similar to what her cousin is making on Friday. What’s a quality option for 20 I can make with nothing but a lopsided cast iron grate over a camp fire.
The wife’s nitwit brother is probably providing the sides, unless he bails again. He just can’t catch a break in life.
TIA.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianNole777
Could do Philly cheesesteaks. Make a big pile of chopped beef, throw cheese over it all, divide up your servings, and have people bring up their buns and you load them up.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
We camp yearly in an area that has wild blueberries, old apple trees, and blackberries. We mix those, along with granola, etc. into a campfire/campstove produced epic cobbler.
Edit.
Add applesauce to gain volume and moisture. Multiple packets of instant apple cider mix add twang.

Last edited:
The annual camping trip to Indiana is upon us, and I have tool for the wife’s cousins on Saturday. She vetoed my idea of brats steeped over a camp fire in Yeungling with kraut and onions. Too similar to what her cousin is making on Friday. What’s a quality option for 20 I can make with nothing but a lopsided cast iron grate over a camp fire.
The wife’s nitwit brother is probably providing the sides, unless he bails again. He just can’t catch a break in life.
TIA.
I would probably go to Costco and buy a ton a reasonably priced steaks and then bags of peppers and onions, and make kebabs. I would wash the veggies at home, and pre-cube everything, store the cubes in ziplocks put them in a high quality cooler so they safely survive the trip. At Costco you could also get a shit ton of dinner rolls and butter. I would also consider bringing my own smaller charcoal Weber, unless the campsite has its own grill nearby.

I would do foil packets. You can prep them in the comfort of your own kitchen and then pack them in a cooler and toss them on the grill. Something similar to this video but you could easily switch the protein to steak or shrimp if you wanted to.

Good camping side dish that's hearty enough to eat as a meal...baked potato. We bake a bunch, cut them in half & doctor them up with butter, cheese, salt & pepper, bacon bits - then wrap them well in foil (get the good, heavy duty foil, not the cheap-ass crepe paper foil from Dollar General). You can throw them right in the campfire to heat them, so you don't need a grill or grate for the campfire (or if you're cooking some type of meat on the rack, you don't have to take up space with the side dish).

If you have a large enough pan to go over the fire you could brown 4-5 lbs of hamburger meat and serve gringo tacos by prepping all the other shit at home. Or you could grill the onion, pepper, etc.

Cabobs with sirloin chunks, peppers, onions, pineapple and anything else you would like.
Salt a pepper the meat and cook to preference.
Used to do this every other time we camped.

Chili. Then folks can do add ons like hotdogs, baked potatoes, etc.

Any number of pasta dishes can be done if you have a grill. Just need 2 pots total.

The annual camping trip to Indiana is upon us, and I have tool for the wife’s cousins on Saturday. She vetoed my idea of brats steeped over a camp fire in Yeungling with kraut and onions. Too similar to what her cousin is making on Friday. What’s a quality option for 20 I can make with nothing but a lopsided cast iron grate over a camp fire.
TIA.
Since your options are low go with burgers and dogs. Unimaginative but practical.

Cabobs with sirloin chunks, peppers, onions, pineapple and anything else you would like.
Salt a pepper the meat and cook to preference.

We do these a lot and it's a great idea,... Prepare them all ahead of time, keep them on ice, toss them on the grill,... Beef, chicken & pork.

TIA.
Do you have a cooking tripod? If so, pork loins over a smokey fire is an easy option. Bonus is you get to slow cook it so you can drink beer all day while cooking.

Do you have a cast iron Dutch oven? Tons of stuff you can throw on and cook for hours with little maintenence; chili, beef stew, pot roast, red beans and rice. Prep all the meat and spices beforehand so you can just dump in the pot and place on the coals. You can even make brownies, cobbler, desserts in it. Tons of youtube vids out there.

TIA.
I suppose another idea is if there is electricity at the campsite, or your car has an outlet, you could run a couple of crockpots to make any number of things, not the least is pulled chicken or pork for sandwiches.

Reactions: lucas80
If you have a large enough pan to go over the fire you could brown 4-5 lbs of hamburger meat and serve gringo tacos by prepping all the other shit at home. Or you could grill the onion, pepper, etc.
One of the people attending has a cooking pan for such occasions.

I have always wanted to camp in Indiana. So lucky.
You should try it. The parks in Indiana make Iowa’s weep in shame. Large, well kept campgrounds with lots of stuff to do. Great hiking trails. Quite a few have pools. Pond would be good for you, though.
Turkey Run and McCormick’s Creek are an easy drive from the QC area.

Do you not just cover them in coals? You don’t have to hold them over the fire if they’re wrapped in foil
Won’t work. We’ve got one campfire ring. I’d never have enough coverage for 20+ even cooking in 2 batches. The goal is everyone eats at once.

• Wow
Reactions: PoopandBoogers

The most nerve-racking cooking I ever did was on a camping trip with a couple who were friends of ours and brought their parents and kids. There were ten of us, and it turned out not only had Mars Radley bragged about my ability to cook over a campfire (sure, scrambled eggs and bacon!) but my friend's father was a bit of a steak-snob and brought about a dozen of thick, restaurant grade ribeye.

All I had was a circle of rocks, a bag of charcoal, and a cheap-ass grate. And, btw, cooking steaks over direct flame was definitely not one of my strengths! Also, the entire time I was cooking everyone was standing in a circle around me watching! Somehow I managed to get them all done to a perfect medium rare, in the one moment of my life that I thought perhaps there was a god, who reached down and performed a miracle for me that day.

The most nerve-racking cooking I ever did was on a camping trip with a couple who were friends of ours and brought their parents and kids. There were ten of us, and it turned out not only had Mars Radley bragged about my ability to cook over a campfire (sure, scrambled eggs and bacon!) but my friend's father was a bit of a steak-snob and brought about a dozen of thick, restaurant grade ribeye.

All I had was a circle of rocks, a bag of charcoal, and a cheap-ass grate. And, btw, cooking steaks over direct flame was definitely not one of my strengths! And the entire time I was cooking everyone was standing in a circle around me watching! Somehow I managed to get them all done to a perfect medium rare, in the one moment of my life that I thought perhaps there was a god, who reached down and performed a miracle for me that day.
Nicely done!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT