ADVERTISEMENT

Camping trip cooking suggestions.

I just think it’s funnier that his wife vetoed the easiest possible thing he could do, which is still an annoying task to feed 20 people.
She gets crazy over this trip with so much family present. Perhaps you are married to a sane woman? She just told me in a “You’re an idiot”, voice that brats are fine. I told her she’d already said no. Well, she talked to the cousin cooking Friday and it’s fine, and everyone loves brats and they are so good, plus I can do hot dogs for the kids.

Reactions: millah_22
You should try it. The parks in Indiana make Iowa’s weep in shame. Large, well kept campgrounds with lots of stuff to do. Great hiking trails. Quite a few have pools. Pond would be good for you, though.
Turkey Run and McCormick’s Creek are an easy drive from the QC area.

Cabins are pretty nice too if you arn't one for camping. My only complaint is the mattresses arn't the best. But if you can get past that, they are very nice looking, quiet, with places to have a fire outside and often can have a fire on the indoor wood stove. Plus they only cost $100 a night.

She gets crazy over this trip with so much family present. Perhaps you are married to a sane woman? She just told me in a “You’re an idiot”, voice that brats are fine. I told her she’d already said no. Well, she talked to the cousin cooking Friday and it’s fine, and everyone loves brats and they are so good, plus I can do hot dogs for the kids.

Maybe head down to Thoma's for the brats. Careful though something like a jalapeno and cheddar brat might be too exotic for Indiana tastes.

Reactions: Pinehawk
55101-buffalo-style-chicken-mac-and-cheese-pouch_1600x.jpg
Next time buy 20 of thess in different flavors. Boil water. Pour in. 10 minutes later, everyone’s got dinner. Make sure you pull out the little oxygen absorbing pouch before serving.

The wife is going to be super impressed.

The annual camping trip to Indiana is upon us, and I have to cook for the wife’s cousins on Saturday. She vetoed my idea of brats steeped over a camp fire in Yeungling with kraut and onions. Too similar to what her cousin is making on Friday. What’s a quality option for 20 I can make with nothing but a lopsided cast iron grate over a camp fire.
The wife’s nitwit brother is probably providing the sides, unless he bails again. He just can’t catch a break in life.
TIA.

If I were cooking for that many and only had a cast iron grate, I would go with a combo of pork tenderloin “steaks” that I cut from the cheap $20 whole tenderloins at Costco, boneless but skin on chicken thighs and some cheap hamburgers done smashburger style.

For the chicken I would probably buy two BBQ sauces, such as the Big Bob Gibson white sauce that goes amazingly well on chicken and the savory and slightly mustardy flavor of Blue Front BBQ sauce. For the pork tenderloin steaks I would do half in the same Blue Front BBQ sauce as it’s the only commercial one I think that works well on all bbq meats from turkey to shrimp to beef. The other half of the pork tenderloin steaks I’d use Banchan’s yuzu flavored Japanese bbq sauce. For the burgers I’d either have standard ketchup, yellow mustard, and mayo or bring along some Peter Luger’s steak sauce or HP along with Grey Poupon Dijon mustard if I wanted to be a fancy lad.

These are for reference only as they are cheaper elsewhere.

Reactions: lucas80
A slow boil is easy as long as you have a large pot and enough heat. Shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes some old bay seasoning, and butter. Works well for a large group. This is along the lines of the jambalaya suggestion.

A really good side dish is cabbage with bacon. It is better than at home since it won't sink up your house.

Corn on the cobb

potatoes (with celery, onion, corn, sour cream and butter all cooked in foil is another easy option. The bottom can get burnt some and that actually is good when mixed in with the rest of the potatoes.

Watermelon is great for large groups

Chicken thighs or drumsticks are really easy and a bit different than a simple chicken breast.

Have fun!

A slow boil is easy as long as you have a large pot and enough heat. Shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes some old bay seasoning, and butter. Works well for a large group. This is along the lines of the jambalaya suggestion.

A really good side dish is cabbage with bacon. It is better than at home since it won't sink up your house.

Corn on the cobb

potatoes (with celery, onion, corn, sour cream and butter all cooked in foil is another easy option. The bottom can get burnt some and that actually is good when mixed in with the rest of the potatoes.

Watermelon is great for large groups

Chicken thighs or drumsticks are really easy and a bit different than a simple chicken breast.

Have fun!
One of the cousin's usually does this for Friday night, but he was supplanted by his younger brother this year.

Reactions: CaboKP
If I were cooking for that many and only had a cast iron grate, I would go with a combo of pork tenderloin “steaks” that I cut from the cheap $20 whole tenderloins at Costco, boneless but skin on chicken thighs and some cheap hamburgers done smashburger style.

For the chicken I would probably buy two BBQ sauces, such as the Big Bob Gibson white sauce that goes amazingly well on chicken and the savory and slightly mustardy flavor of Blue Front BBQ sauce. For the pork tenderloin steaks I would do half in the same Blue Front BBQ sauce as it’s the only commercial one I think that works well on all bbq meats from turkey to shrimp to beef. The other half of the pork tenderloin steaks I’d use Banchan’s yuzu flavored Japanese bbq sauce. For the burgers I’d either have standard ketchup, yellow mustard, and mayo or bring along some Peter Luger’s steak sauce or HP along with Grey Poupon Dijon mustard if I wanted to be a fancy lad.

Thanks for the effort and insight, but I'm going to be standing/stooping over an iron gate with at least 6 beers in me. That's a bit much. They get what they get.

Jeebus dude, he's cooking for the rubes from Iowa and Indiana. He isn't trying to pull anything from the Michelin thread.

Jeebus dude, he's cooking for the rubes from Iowa and Indiana. He isn't trying to pull anything from the Michelin thread.
We are the only Iowa rubes. We got Indiana rubes, Ohio rubes, Missouri rubes and some kinfolk rubes that come back to Indiana from Florida every year.

• Haha
Reactions: funksouljon
Lucas would get his ass beat for pulling that stunt.
CSB, we did our shopping and I gritted my teeth and begged the woman to not buy ketchup. Every year she buys ketchup. Saturday afternoon one kid wants ketchup on something and Mrs. Lucas starts yelling she's got it, she's got it. But, 2 containers are produced before she can dig ours out.
So, I got my annual unopened container of ketchup in the fridge to look at for a few months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT