ADVERTISEMENT

Can Anything Be Done to Assuage Rural Rage?

I am as liberal as they come. Columns like this are very condescending. They really dont help.
What would help ?

Maybe democrats should just step aside and let the GOP have their way on safety net and allow them to bring real pain to the communities that do depend on that net while continuing to vote Red?
Naahhh...dems are too soft to extract that price to prove a point.
They will continue to point out the facts and be called condescending instead.

What would help ?

Maybe democrats should just step aside and let the GOP have their way on safety net and allow them to bring real pain to the communities that do depend on that net while continuing to vote Red?
Naahhh...dems are too soft to extract that price to prove a point.
They will continue to point out the facts and be called condescending instead.

Honestly? Nothing. We are talking about societal economic and cultural mega trends that really have been going on for 75 years. Iowa had a rural economy supported for many years by lots of farms and farm families. That number has been reduced by like 90%. Small towns that are doing well in Iowa are generally close enough to one of the urban areas to support much of the employment base. Eastern Iowa is full of those. Western Iowa has less of this, so it struggles more.

Eventually the numbers of people in some of these small Iowa counties will be in the hundreds.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
According to US Census trendline Pocahontas county population will go to zero by 2050. Sad.

Several counties are headed that way. The very Southern tier has at least 5-6 counties that are currently at 5,000 or under in population.

Farm net income has exceeded all prior years in 2021-22 under Biden.
Farmers seem to resent Democratic pols despite the fact that they do better under dem presidents. Prior record net income came in 2010-2012 under Obama.
Farmers always claim they want to earn their income thru open markets rather than a handout from the govt....like the 40 billion Trump gave them due to loss of markets after Trump's trade war w China.
Under Biden they are getting what they claim to want...still dislike him....this leaves progressives wondering what motivates these voters. Not looking down on them, just confused .....not the same
Unless a rural voter has the nerve to consider higher taxes, uncontrollable inflation and interest rates as a consequence of electing a democratic president and congress. Republicans are looking pretty good now aren't they?;)

I think I will be just fine but thanks foe your fake concern as a self hating midwesterner that hates rural people.

Torbee do you actually belive red states are welfare states as has been driven by the left? If you want to actually be a serious person dig in on that claim and be truthful. You won't though because you are simply a puppet. Start there and truly educate yourself if you are capable.

Articles like this one are just another they are deplorable and need our salvation. Look at them not even know what they need. It is snobbery and exactly the mentality that led to the rise of Trump. Then we get fools like you and others in here that thump their chests and agree as if this clown Krugman doesn't view you the exact same way. He does.

By the way...I have lived all.over the world including NYC. These people are not your friends.
You’re on the wrong side of history and demographic trends are proving it. Your head is buried in the sand as you are blinded by garbage disinformation you have consumed. I do honestly feel bad for you.

You’re on the wrong side of history and demographic trends are proving it. Your head is buried in the sand as you are blinded by garbage disinformation you have consumed. I do honestly feel bad for you.
The wrong side if hiatory...lol. you sure think a lot of yourself. Wrong side if history. Jesus dude no one is storming the beaches of Normandy here. Demographic trends prove what exactly you tool? Do you ever step back and really think about the bullshit that comes out of your mouth?

The wrong side if hiatory...lol. you sure think a lot of yourself. Wrong side if history. Jesus dude no one is storming the beaches of Normandy here. Demographic trends prove what exactly you tool? Do you ever step back and really think about the bullshit that comes out of your mouth?
You seem very angry. I wish you well in getting help.

You seem very angry. I wish you well in getting help.
Not angry at all Torbee. Disagreeing with your world view doesn't make people angry. This twit at the times explaining rural rage and people like you lapping it up as if it is meaningful is the type of passive aggressive energy that needs help. Let me know when Paul has ever spent any time at all in a rural area let alone talking to people that live in rural areas. He hasn't and yet has a handle on the matter.

You look down on people from rural areas torbee as do most of.your liberal friends. You devalue them and think their values are on the wrong side of history whatever the hell that means. A smug person leading a smug life looking down on the working class and the people from rural communities. Sounds like you need the help to me. Be a better person.

Paul Krugman
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
Rural resentment has become a central fact of American politics — in particular, a pillar of support for the rise of right-wing extremism. As the Republican Party has moved ever further into MAGAland, it has lost votes among educated suburban voters; but this has been offset by a drastic rightward shift in rural areas, which in some places has gone so far that the Democrats who remain face intimidation and are afraid to reveal their party affiliation.
But is this shift permanent? Can anything be done to assuage rural rage?
The answer will depend on two things: whether it’s possible to improve rural lives and restore rural communities, and whether the voters in these communities will give politicians credit for any improvements that do take place.
This week my colleague Thomas B. Edsall surveyed research on the rural Republican shift. I was struck by his summary of work by Katherine J. Cramer, who attributes rural resentment to perceptions that rural areas are ignored by policymakers, don’t get their fair share of resources and are disrespected by “city folks.”
As it happens, all three perceptions are largely wrong. I’m sure that my saying this will generate a tidal wave of hate mail, and lecturing rural Americans about policy reality isn’t going to move their votes. Nonetheless, it’s important to get our facts straight.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

The truth is that ever since the New Deal rural America has received special treatment from policymakers. It’s not just farm subsidies, which ballooned under Donald Trump to the point where they accounted for around 40 percent of total farm income. Rural America also benefits from special programs that support housing, utilities and business in general.
In terms of resources, major federal programs disproportionately benefit rural areas, in part because such areas have a disproportionate number of seniors receiving Social Security and Medicare. But even means-tested programs — programs that Republicans often disparage as “welfare” — tilt rural. Notably, at this point rural Americans are more likely than urban Americans to be on Medicaid and receive food stamps.
And because rural America is poorer than urban America, it pays much less per person in federal taxes, so in practice major metropolitan areas hugely subsidize the countryside. These subsidies don’t just support incomes, they support economies: Government and the so-called health care and social assistance sector each employ more people in rural America than agriculture, and what do you think pays for those jobs?
What about rural perceptions of being disrespected? Well, many people have negative views about people with different lifestyles; that’s human nature. There is, however, an unwritten rule in American politics that it’s OK for politicians to seek rural votes by insulting big cities and their residents, but it would be unforgivable for urban politicians to return the favor. “I have to go to New York City soon,” tweeted J.D. Vance during his senatorial campaign. “I have heard it’s disgusting and violent there.” Can you imagine, say, Chuck Schumer saying something similar about rural Ohio, even as a joke?
So the ostensible justifications for rural resentment don’t withstand scrutiny — but that doesn’t mean things are fine. A changing economy has increasingly favored metropolitan areas with large college-educated work forces over small towns. The rural working-age population has been declining, leaving seniors behind. Rural men in their prime working years are much more likely than their metropolitan counterparts to not be working. Rural woes are real.
Advertisement

Ironically, however, the policy agenda of the party most rural voters support would make things even worse, slashing the safety-net programs these voters depend on. And Democrats shouldn’t be afraid to point this out.
But can they also have a positive agenda for rural renewal? As The Washington Post’s Greg Sargent recently pointed out, the infrastructure spending bills enacted under President Biden, while primarily intended to address climate change, will also create large numbers of blue-collar jobs in rural areas and small cities. They are, in practice, a form of the “place-based industrial policy” some economists have urged to fight America’s growing geographic disparities.
Will they work? The economic forces that have been hollowing out rural America are deep and not easily countered. But it’s certainly worth trying.
But even if these policies improve rural fortunes, will Democrats get any credit? It’s easy to be cynical. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the new governor of Arkansas, has pledged to get the “bureaucratic tyrants” of Washington “out of your wallets”; in 2019 the federal government spent almost twice as much in Arkansas as it collected in taxes, de facto providing the average Arkansas resident with $5,500 in aid. So even if Democratic policies greatly improve rural lives, will rural voters notice?
Still, anything that helps reverse rural America’s decline would be a good thing in itself. And maybe, just maybe, reducing the heartland’s economic desperation will also help reverse its political radicalization.

No doubt democratic policies, especially economic, often do a better job supporting rural/blue collar interest than republican policy. Obviously though, the war is being waged on the basis of culture.

Two parts to that.
1. The stratification occurring in both the economic and cultural domains is leading to resentment since the "elite" seem to be in charge. They drive popular culture, business and government. There are some real cultural differences between the "elites" and the rural/blue collar contingent -- one group doesn't like the other having all the power. I think that's helped to generate right wing populism and why Trumpism and the culture war stuff was able to operate so well politically. This is a real issue.

2. The conservative media's exploitation and nurturing of this issue for its benefit. The sort of resentment in point 1 can be used constructively or destructively. Unfortunately the conservative media empire all too often engages in using this issue for self-serving purposes at the expense of society at large.

No doubt democratic policies, especially economic, often do a better job supporting rural/blue collar interest than republican policy. Obviously though, the war is being waged on the basis of culture.

Two parts to that.
1. The stratification occurring in both the economic and cultural domains is leading to resentment since the "elite" seem to be in charge. They drive popular culture, business and government. There are some real cultural differences between the "elites" and the rural/blue collar contingent -- one group doesn't like the other having all the power. I think that's helped to generate right wing populism and why Trumpism and the culture war stuff was able to operate so well politically. This is a real issue.

2. The conservative media's exploitation and nurturing of this issue for its benefit. The sort of resentment in point 1 can be used constructively or destructively. Unfortunately the conservative media empire all too often engages in using this issue for self-serving purposes at the expense of society at large.

Well said, and in addition to that there is actual real pain/damage in lots of rural/blue collar communities. Those areas hit much harder by "deaths of despair", population is aging, services declining, etc. People under those circumstances often prefer to have someone to blame or at least be angry at. That's not a rural DNA or something, just human nature.

Not angry at all Torbee. Disagreeing with your world view doesn't make people angry. This twit at the times explaining rural rage and people like you lapping it up as if it is meaningful is the type of passive aggressive energy that needs help. Let me know when Paul has ever spent any time at all in a rural area let alone talking to people that live in rural areas. He hasn't and yet has a handle on the matter.

You look down on people from rural areas torbee as do most of.your liberal friends. You devalue them and think their values are on the wrong side of history whatever the hell that means. A smug person leading a smug life looking down on the working class and the people from rural communities. Sounds like you need the help to me. Be a better person.
You are angry and it is ironic that you are ranting in this thread.

My grandma grew up in Tiffin and my mom was raised in Homestead, Nebraska. I love rural areas and rural people.

I was a newspaper reporter for around 20 years in Iowa, doesn’t get much more working class than that, so your insults fall flat.

I am sad so many of them have been poisoned with hate and anger through disinformation all for the sake of political power.

I hope the fever breaks before it’s too late.

Two parts to that.

Starting with the premise that Democrats and their policies are better for rural areas especially econocally is nonsense and most certainly should not be taken as some sort of factual position.

If those policies are so great how are the poor doing in predominantly blue areas? This is where your argument falls apart. How are those Democrat policies working in Chicago?

Reactions: abby97
You are angry and it is ironic that you are ranting in this thread.

My grandma grew up in Tiffin and my mom was raised in Homestead, Nebraska. I love rural areas and rural people.

I am sad so many of them have been poisoned with hate and anger through disinformation all for the sake of political power.

I hope the fever breaks before it’s too late.
Lol. Not ranting at all and you have a history in the Midwest isn't the issue. It is your disdain for the people that make up rural America. No torbee you do not love rural America or the people within it....your smug sense of superiority shines through like a beacon. Poisoned with hate and anger....Jesus wtf are you even talking about. Such a ridiculous comment

Starting with the premise that Democrats and their policies are better for rural areas especially econocally is nonsense and most certainly should not be taken as some sort of factual position.

If those policies are so great how are the poor doing in predominantly blue areas? This is where your argument falls apart. How are those Democrat policies working in Chicago?
I said that because it would seem democrats are more willing to spend government money and steer the economy towards solutions that would actually benefit the blue collar worker. Biden's infrastructure deal along with the microchip production deal would seemingly big be positives and I don't know that I can point to any similar accomplishments attributable to republican led legislation.

Trump certainly talked as though he would be interested in making moves like this, but he didn't do anything. Some combination of him not caring (enough) and the rest of the republican party rejecting these sorts of moves.

Re: dem policies in Chicago. Would the repubs be doing better? Could the current conditions be even worse than they are now?

I imagine the chief complaint by republicans about these sort of efforts by the democrats is that they'll end up thwarting economic productivity at large by their policy interventions and will hinder job creation in such a way that blue collar job opportunity would suffer. Devil is in the details on that one, I'd need some good evidence.

All that said, it's not like I feel the democrats are really doing all that much on this front. Repubs and dems are more similar than dissimilar here. But at least the dems seem to be willing to try something. (at times) Perhaps repubs will in time cater to a more populist base than no longer really cares that much about Reaganism and small government. Not happening yet, though.

Lol. Not ranting at all and you have a history in the Midwest isn't the issue. It is your disdain for the people that make up rural America. No torbee you do not love rural America or the people within it....your smug sense of superiority shines through like a beacon. Poisoned with hate and anger....Jesus wtf are you even talking about. Such a ridiculous comment
You started with a lie, followed it with another lie and then used projection throughout this latest rant. It is sad you aren’t even aware of your anger. I do hope you work out of it someday, sincerely.

You started with a lie, followed it with another lie and then used projection throughout this latest rant. It is sad you aren’t even aware of your anger. I do hope you work out of it someday, sincerely.
No lies here torbee. No anger either. The more you talk the more it is obvious just how big a narcissist you truly are.

I said that because it would seem democrats are more willing to spend government money and steer the economy towards solutions that would actually benefit the blue collar worker. Biden's infrastructure deal along with the microchip production deal would seemingly big be positives and I don't know that I can point to any similar accomplishments attributable to republican led legislation.

Trump certainly talked as though he would be interested in making moves like this, but he didn't do anything. Some combination of him not caring (enough) and the rest of the republican party rejecting these sorts of moves.

Re: dem policies in Chicago. Would the repubs be doing better? Could the current conditions be even worse than they are now?

I imagine the chief complaint by republicans about these sort of efforts by the democrats is that they'll end up thwarting economic productivity at large by their policy interventions and will hinder job creation in such a way that blue collar job opportunity would suffer. Devil is in the details on that one, I'd need some good evidence.

All that said, it's not like I feel the democrats are really doing all that much on this front. Repubs and dems are more similar than dissimilar here. But at least the dems seem to be willing to try something. (at times) Perhaps repubs will in time cater to a more populist base than no longer really cares that much about Reaganism and small government. Not happening yet, though.
I don't disagree with much of what you said here. I believe is balance because of the things you laid out here. Democrats do push social programs and infrastructure projects that are needed for our society to function well. Republicans tend to be the brakes on those programs and push for small government solutions. We need both perspectives for our country.

The Democrats have abandoned labor. They did so a long time ago and people don't know it because the Democrats are still in bed with unions. Those are not the same thing. Most of the people the democrats call deplorable or rural in this case were the base of the democrats a generation ago. The democrats now cast aspersions on them at every turn while writing articles like this one about how these people don't know what is in their best interests. Because obviously they are stupid hicks that have been overtaken by the poison of the Republicans. As torbee has parrots in this thread. Blue collar, rural, labor, whatever label you want to apply are now vilified by the democrats as racist and voting against their interests. Much like when Joe Biden stated that if you don't vote for him you aren't black. The same arrogance that makes that statement is the same thing we see from torbee and this twit of an author.

Rural issues really come down to the modernization of agriculture but that does not mean that these communities are failing nor does it mean they can't reinvent themselves going forward. There are huge opportunities in small communities for business to thrive and many are doing so. Remember that rural is applied to flyover country writ large by twits like Paul Krugman. The coastal democrats running things do not have rural areas in their hearts in the same way they no longer want anything but votes from blue collar people. They know best.

Reactions: hawkland14
I don't disagree with much of what you said here. I believe is balance because of the things you laid out here. Democrats do push social programs and infrastructure projects that are needed for our society to function well. Republicans tend to be the brakes on those programs and push for small government solutions. We need both perspectives for our country.

The Democrats have abandoned labor. They did so a long time ago and people don't know it because the Democrats are still in bed with unions. Those are not the same thing. Most of the people the democrats call deplorable or rural in this case were the base of the democrats a generation ago. The democrats now cast aspersions on them at every turn while writing articles like this one about how these people don't know what is in their best interests. Because obviously they are stupid hicks that have been overtaken by the poison of the Republicans. As torbee has parrots in this thread. Blue collar, rural, labor, whatever label you want to apply are now vilified by the democrats as racist and voting against their interests. Much like when Joe Biden stated that if you don't vote for him you aren't black. The same arrogance that makes that statement is the same thing we see from torbee and this twit of an author.

Rural issues really come down to the modernization of agriculture but that does not mean that these communities are failing nor does it mean they can't reinvent themselves going forward. There are huge opportunities in small communities for business to thrive and many are doing so. Remember that rural is applied to flyover country writ large by twits like Paul Krugman. The coastal democrats running things do not have rural areas in their hearts in the same way they no longer want anything but votes from blue collar people. They know best.
You're saying the party that has fought for increases in minimum wage while the Cons have fought it tooth and nail is the party that has "abandoned labor"? Bitch, shut the fok up. Get the fok out

You're saying the party that has fought for increases in minimum wage while the Cons have fought it tooth and nail is the party that has "abandoned labor"? Bitch, shut the fok up. Get the fok out
Minimum wage is the hill you want to die on? Good luck with that

Yeah, and often the big cities in red states have even WORSE violent crime than those in blue states (and note, unlike Republicans, I'm not saying it's BECAUSE they are red states --- rather, it likely has more to do with other socieconomic stressors)

Just look at the Top 12:

1. St. Louis, MO (2,082) (RED STATE)
  2. Detroit, MI (2,057) (BLUE/PURPLE STATE)
  3. Baltimore, MD (2,027) (BLUE STATE)
  4. Memphis, TN (2,003) (RED STATE)
  5. Little Rock, AR (1,634) (RED STATE)
  6. Milwaukee, WI (1,597) (BLUE/PURPLE STATE)
  7. Rockford, IL (1,588) (BLUE STATE)
  8. Cleveland, OH (1,557) (RED STATE)
  9. Stockton, CA (1,415) (BLUE STATE)
  10. Albuquerque, NM (1,369) (BLUE/PURPLE STATE)
  11. Springfield, MO (1,339) (RED STATE)
  12. Indianapolis, IN (1,334) (RED STATE)

Interesting that neither New York, Chicago or L.A. --- the Triumvirate of Hate for Republicans --- don't even crack the Top 12.
Which party runs those cities? That’s more relevant than who runs the state….

I think I will be just fine but thanks foe your fake concern as a self hating midwesterner that hates rural people.

Torbee do you actually belive red states are welfare states as has been driven by the left? If you want to actually be a serious person dig in on that claim and be truthful. You won't though because you are simply a puppet. Start there and truly educate yourself if you are capable.

Articles like this one are just another they are deplorable and need our salvation. Look at them not even know what they need. It is snobbery and exactly the mentality that led to the rise of Trump. Then we get fools like you and others in here that thump their chests and agree as if this clown Krugman doesn't view you the exact same way. He does.

By the way...I have lived all.over the world including NYC. These people are not your friends.
I’m thinking you just aren’t real good with people. Damn.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
The answer is no. People have forgotten what the farm crisis of the 1980s devastated rural towns and they never recovered. You can argue Carter was partly responsible with grain embargoes during the cold war, but world wide inflation was a problem as well.

The other issue is globalization. That isn't any party's policy. The world is much smaller now and it's much easier for corporations do what they want with their business. Republicans want deregulation with big tax breaks and incentives. That's not helping. It's much easier to move business to Mexico for a cheaper workers. Factories close and people blame the union democrats. The reality is republicans don't hold the corporations responsible and their big tax breaks are given on the backs of Americans. Look at KS Governor Brownback's tax cuts did for trickle down effects. It nearly destroyed the KS economy.

When Pepsi bought Quaker Oats in Cedar Rapids, they wanted lower wages. Workers didn't want pay cuts so they threatened to strike. Pepsi countered and said they were closing the plant and moving to Mexico. The unions took a small pay cut but then negotiated a contract that said future employees would start at a much lower wage, thus ensuring their children would not do as well as their parents. That's the plight in America. Hits rural areas much harder where there aren't alternative jobs or industries.

Eroding populations, aging populations, brain drain, etc lead to an eroding tax base. Lower tax base effects home values and property taxes. Those in turn effect quality of schools. This is why Iowa is dropping in education. Reynolds voucher for private schools won't help rural Iowa. There aren't alternative schools in small towns. They will only erode decent schools in the cities. It was an intentional dig on Democrats.

Republicans also disparage immigrants. Those are the people willing to move back to small towns due to cheaper housing. Some of that population is keeping the towns afloat. Their tax dollars go into schools, their spending keeps the local store open, etc.

Paul Krugman
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
Rural resentment has become a central fact of American politics — in particular, a pillar of support for the rise of right-wing extremism. As the Republican Party has moved ever further into MAGAland, it has lost votes among educated suburban voters; but this has been offset by a drastic rightward shift in rural areas, which in some places has gone so far that the Democrats who remain face intimidation and are afraid to reveal their party affiliation.
But is this shift permanent? Can anything be done to assuage rural rage?
The answer will depend on two things: whether it’s possible to improve rural lives and restore rural communities, and whether the voters in these communities will give politicians credit for any improvements that do take place.
This week my colleague Thomas B. Edsall surveyed research on the rural Republican shift. I was struck by his summary of work by Katherine J. Cramer, who attributes rural resentment to perceptions that rural areas are ignored by policymakers, don’t get their fair share of resources and are disrespected by “city folks.”
As it happens, all three perceptions are largely wrong. I’m sure that my saying this will generate a tidal wave of hate mail, and lecturing rural Americans about policy reality isn’t going to move their votes. Nonetheless, it’s important to get our facts straight.
Advertisement

The truth is that ever since the New Deal rural America has received special treatment from policymakers. It’s not just farm subsidies, which ballooned under Donald Trump to the point where they accounted for around 40 percent of total farm income. Rural America also benefits from special programs that support housing, utilities and business in general.
In terms of resources, major federal programs disproportionately benefit rural areas, in part because such areas have a disproportionate number of seniors receiving Social Security and Medicare. But even means-tested programs — programs that Republicans often disparage as “welfare” — tilt rural. Notably, at this point rural Americans are more likely than urban Americans to be on Medicaid and receive food stamps.
And because rural America is poorer than urban America, it pays much less per person in federal taxes, so in practice major metropolitan areas hugely subsidize the countryside. These subsidies don’t just support incomes, they support economies: Government and the so-called health care and social assistance sector each employ more people in rural America than agriculture, and what do you think pays for those jobs?
What about rural perceptions of being disrespected? Well, many people have negative views about people with different lifestyles; that’s human nature. There is, however, an unwritten rule in American politics that it’s OK for politicians to seek rural votes by insulting big cities and their residents, but it would be unforgivable for urban politicians to return the favor. “I have to go to New York City soon,” tweeted J.D. Vance during his senatorial campaign. “I have heard it’s disgusting and violent there.” Can you imagine, say, Chuck Schumer saying something similar about rural Ohio, even as a joke?
So the ostensible justifications for rural resentment don’t withstand scrutiny — but that doesn’t mean things are fine. A changing economy has increasingly favored metropolitan areas with large college-educated work forces over small towns. The rural working-age population has been declining, leaving seniors behind. Rural men in their prime working years are much more likely than their metropolitan counterparts to not be working. Rural woes are real.
Advertisement

Ironically, however, the policy agenda of the party most rural voters support would make things even worse, slashing the safety-net programs these voters depend on. And Democrats shouldn’t be afraid to point this out.
But can they also have a positive agenda for rural renewal? As The Washington Post’s Greg Sargent recently pointed out, the infrastructure spending bills enacted under President Biden, while primarily intended to address climate change, will also create large numbers of blue-collar jobs in rural areas and small cities. They are, in practice, a form of the “place-based industrial policy” some economists have urged to fight America’s growing geographic disparities.
Will they work? The economic forces that have been hollowing out rural America are deep and not easily countered. But it’s certainly worth trying.
But even if these policies improve rural fortunes, will Democrats get any credit? It’s easy to be cynical. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the new governor of Arkansas, has pledged to get the “bureaucratic tyrants” of Washington “out of your wallets”; in 2019 the federal government spent almost twice as much in Arkansas as it collected in taxes, de facto providing the average Arkansas resident with $5,500 in aid. So even if Democratic policies greatly improve rural lives, will rural voters notice?
Still, anything that helps reverse rural America’s decline would be a good thing in itself. And maybe, just maybe, reducing the heartland’s economic desperation will also help reverse its political radicalization.

OP said ass

Bud, Almost all those cities you listed are Democrat run cities, even those sitting in red states. So whether or not the state is red, it doesn’t mean it’s metro areas are red.

But to your point, just change a little bit of the wording and you could write the exact same article and title it “Can anything be done to calm Urban Umbrage?”
Thank you - I noted the same. Urban areas are islands of blue local governance in red states.
Paul Krugman is not taken seriously by most people outside the liberal bubble in which he dwells; he’s a man who behaves like a victim scarred from a childhood being the kid bullied on the playground when interviewed.
He has been successful posing as an economist while in reality he’s an ultra liberal political activist.

Yes there are people who live in the country with totally different life shaping experiences that urban and suburban dwellers find inexplicable - they can go through life with what we see as hard headedness and a lack of interest or curiosity in listening to other POV’s.
“My mind is made up so don’t confuse me with the facts” approach- but I gotta say both sides have their share of folks who live the same way whether they - or we - realize it or want to admit it.
Krugman lives an extremely urban existence and I wonder if he’s spent any real time in a rural area and thus how can he speak with real authority on how and why country folks think the way they do?
I doubt he’s been seriously challenged by his circle and he’s never been respected by conservatives anyway, so he’ll just continue along.

Can I ask where you find that? I’d actually be interested in checking some of that stuff out.
I was at a political event and the local newspaper publisher made that comment and asked the candidate what could be done to change this trend.
In NW Iowa the only county that did not lose population was Buena Vista , which had a big influx of immigrants to work in processing plants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT