ADVERTISEMENT

Canker Sores

StormHawk42

HB Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Any other sufferers here?

I get them probably 4-5 times a year and they just make everything sh!tty, with not wanting to eat or talk.

Does anyone have any surefire remedies? Alum powder works sometimes but burns like hell.

Also, I fully realize it could be mouth AIDS and accept your tots and pears.

Any other sufferers here?

I get them probably 4-5 times a year and they just make everything sh!tty, with not wanting to eat or talk.

Does anyone have any surefire remedies? Alum powder works sometimes but burns like hell.

Also, I fully realize it could be mouth AIDS and accept your tots and pears.
Stop blowing homeless guys for a week or so and see if there's any improvement.

I think I used to get them from eating walnuts, especially around the holidays. If OP eats nuts, maybe rinsing mouth with water afterwards would help.
I haven't had them in a long time which may be the result of my Type 2 diabetes medication or the medicine I take to prevent kidney stones again. (The most pain I have ever been in.)

I used to get them all the time and still do on occasion but nothing like I used to. I don't have a cure for the pain once you get one, but I recommend you use Sensodyne Proenamel toothpaste if you aren't already. One of the main causes of canker sores is SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (SLS) which is in most toothpastes. Sensodyne Proenamel is the easiest toothpaste to find without it. Regular Sensodyne still has SLS.

One of the most common and unknown causes of canker sores is a common ingredient found in most popular toothpastes.

When Was The Last Time You Checked Your Toothpaste Ingredients?

Although the precise cause of canker sores is unclear, research shows that an ingredient in toothpaste called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) triggers canker sores. Surprisingly, SLS is a common toothpaste ingredient that’s also found in shampoo, soap, and household cleaning products.

Determining whether or not SLS is in your toothpaste can be difficult. Technically speaking, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is the sodium salt of lauryl sulfate and is also called Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES). And ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS) is another similar compound with the same uses as SLS and SLES. These chemicals are used as detergents, surfactants, and emulsifiers in thousands of products. In toothpaste, they’re what causes it to foam up as you brush your teeth.

According to research studies, SLS has a number of not-so-great side effects, varying from mild skin irritation to cancer. Despite its proven toxicity, this ingredient is still showing up in our everyday products. With this research in mind, it’s surprising to me that this chemical is continuing to be used in personal care products.

SLS is Just a Marketing Trick
SLS is the most widely used surfactant in toothpastes but it’s not doing any good for your mouth. When it comes to efficiency, it doesn’t matter whether or not your toothpaste foams. The chemical foaming reaction made by SLS is a marketing trick that leads you to believe that the toothpaste is “working.”

According to the American College of Toxicology, SLS can stay in the body for five days—building up in the heart, liver, lungs, and brain. As the chemical lingers in the body, hormonal imbalances have been reported to occur. In some cases, lower rates of male fertility are linked to SLS exposure.

SLS is not only considered harmful for humans, but the environment as well. The manufacturing of SLS releases carcinogens into the environment and it could be toxic for marine life. The environment needs our attention: it’s crucial to be educated on SLS and its potentially negative effects.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Are canker sores caused by a virus? There’s some pretty good prescription anti-virals that are good on cold sores; don’t know if that would apply to canker sores or not.

Put salt on your finger and put directly on it. Hurts like hell at first but really seems to work long term.

Are canker sores caused by a virus? There’s some pretty good prescription anti-virals that are good on cold sores; don’t know if that would apply to canker sores or not.
Canker sores are not caused by a virus. They are actually the result of an overactive immune response. Sometimes you might get them if you are coming down with a viral infection and your body's immune response is ramping up. One might also get one if you get a cut in your mouth and it turns into a canker sore. There are many causes.

Reactions: Mayland
Stop blowing homeless guys for a week or so and see if there's any improvement.
Posts like this for HORT make it:

worth-the-price-of-admission-chuck-nice.gif

Alum. Acts as an astringent, draws the liquid out, and contracts the tissue to seal the wound faster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT