ADVERTISEMENT

Capehart: "Hands Up Don't Shoot" was Built on a Lie

YellowSnow51

HR King
Aug 14, 2002
Struggle over the gun
Page 6: Brown then grabbed the weapon and struggled with Wilson to gain control of it. Wilson fired, striking Brown in the hand. Autopsy results and bullet trajectory, skin from Brown's palm on the outside of the SUV door as well as Brown's DNA on the inside of the driver's door corroborate Wilson's account that during the struggle, Brown used his right hand to grab and attempt to control Wilson's gun. According to three autopsies, Brown sustained a close range gunshot wound to the fleshy portion of his right hand at the base of his right thumb. Soot from the muzzle of the gun found embedded in the tissue of this wound coupled with indicia of thermal change from the heat of the muzzle indicate that Brown's hand was within inches of the muzzle of Wilson's gun when it was fired. The location of the recovered bullet in the side panel of the driver's door, just above Wilson's lap, also corroborates Wilson's account of the struggle over the gun and when the gun was fired, as do witness accounts that Wilson fired at least one shot from inside the SUV.[/QUOTE]
Hands up
Page 8: Although there are several individuals who have stated that Brown held his hands up in an unambiguous sign of surrender prior to Wilson shooting him dead, their accounts do not support a prosecution of Wilson. As detailed throughout this report, some of those accounts are inaccurate because they are inconsistent with the physical and forensic evidence; some of those accounts are materially inconsistent with that witness's own prior statements with no explanation, credible [or] otherwise, as to why those accounts changed over time. Certain other witnesses who originally stated Brown had his hands up in surrender recanted their original accounts, admitting that they did not witness the shooting or parts of it, despite what they initially reported either to federal or local law enforcement or to the media. Prosecutors did not rely on those accounts when making a prosecutive decision.
While credible witnesses gave varying accounts of exactly what Brown was doing with his hands as he moved toward Wilson - i.e., balling them, holding them out, or pulling up his pants up - and varying accounts of how he was moving - i.e., "charging," moving in "slow motion," or "running" - they all establish that Brown was moving toward Wilson when Wilson shot him.Although some witnesses state that Brown held his hands up at shoulder level with his palms facing outward for a brief moment, these same witnesses describe Brown then dropping his hands and "charging" at Wilson.

The DOJ report notes on page 44 that Johnson "made multiple statements to the media immediately following the incident that spawned the popular narrative that Wilson shot Brown execution-style as he held up his hands in surrender." In one of those interviews, Johnson told MSNBC that Brown was shot in the back by Wilson. It was then that Johnson said Brown stopped, turned around with his hands up and said, "I don't have a gun, stop shooting!" And, like that, "hands up, don't shoot" became the mantra of a movement. But it was wrong, built on a lie.
Yet this does not diminish the importance of the real issues unearthed in Ferguson by Brown's death. Nor does it discredit what has become the larger "Black Lives Matter." In fact, the false Ferguson narrative stuck because of concern over a distressing pattern of other police killings of unarmed African American men and boys around the time of Brown's death. Eric Garner was killed on a Staten Island street on July 17. John Crawford III was killed in a Wal-Mart in Beavercreek, Ohio, on Aug. 5, four days before Brown. Levar Jones survived being shot by a South Carolina state trooper on Sept. 4. Tamir Rice, 12 years old, was killed in a Cleveland park on Nov. 23, the day before the Ferguson grand jury opted not to indict Wilson. Sadly, the list has grown longer.

Now that black lives matter to everyone, it is imperative that we continue marching for and giving voice to those killed in racially charged incidents at the hands of police and others. But we must never allow ourselves to march under the banner of a false narrative on behalf of someone who would otherwise offend our sense of right and wrong. And when we discover that we have, we must acknowledge it, admit our error and keep on marching. That's what I've done here.[/QUOTE]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
Benghazi.
I've said the Benghazi thing was stupid since Day 1. Same with Bridgegate. But this is recent and a new article.

But thanks for sharing what is tantamount to someone posting "Johnson/ Vietnam" anytime anytime someone brings up Bush and Iraq.

This post was edited on 3/20 8:03 PM by YellowSnow51

Originally posted by YellowSnow51:

Benghazi.
I've said the Benghazi thing was stupid since Day 1. Same with Bridgegate. But this is recent and a new article.

But thanks for sharing what is tantamount to someone posting "Johnson/ Vietnam" anytime anytime someone brings up Bush and Iraq.

This post was edited on 3/20 8:03 PM by YellowSnow51
LBJ lied and my uncle died!!!

Beyond that I am glad Capehart had the courage to speak up. Usually I find him a little over the top for my tastes. He was pretty vocal right after Brown was shot about how he always tells his partner where he's going when he left the house. Suggestion being a rich guy, tastefully dressed, and driving a BMW would be pulled over and shot dead in DC.

Originally posted by ClarindaA's:
Originally posted by What W...us Do?:
Benghazi.
hack douche bags on both sides...
Posted from Rivals Mobile
The shame is that there were (and still are) important issues worth discussing and addressing in both cases. But the need to shout in simple-minded memes seems to derail most needed efforts.
All the shouting I can see in the case the OP talks about comes from the left. They are the ones stopping a discussion on race.

Glad he stepped up...wish more blacks and libs would.
Kind of late though. It's been many months before he finally manned up.

Not bad for a liberal journalist though.

Originally posted by 86Hawkeye:

Glad he stepped up...wish more blacks and libs would.

Kind of late though. It's been many months before he finally manned up.

Not bad for a liberal journalist though.
Liberals hate the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT