ADVERTISEMENT

Carver Arena - Take a Page from Texas

Fran-Con-2

HR All-State
Nov 17, 2019
I know the idea of renovating Carver has been discussed ad nauseam here, but I wanted to make a post to illustrate a practical example of what a newer/smaller stadium could do for a program.

I give you, the Texas Longhorn Moody Center.

Opened this year, the Moody Center is a public-privately funded all-purpose arena that is the new home for the Texas Basketball program. Importantly, the basketball capacity for the arena is almost 6,000 LESS than the prior stadium. The Frank Erwin Center, could hold 16,540 while the Moody Center had a sell-out against Gonzaga with about 11,000 in attendance. The Moody Center can get over 15,000 but they intentionally limit it for the basketball games.

And for those who didn't watch Texas dismantle Gonzaga, the place was ABSOLUTELY ROCKING.

Moreover, Coach Beard made the move that Fran wants so dearly: he pushed administration to allow students to sit behind the benches and both baskets. He also requested a DJ be put in the house to provide a more enjoyable atmosphere for the students (but not necessarily the old geezers). They retained student ambassadors to pass out flyers around campus and get students jazzed up and motivated to come to the games. Said the first opposing coach who had to play in the stadium: "That’s a real college arena. You can’t hear anything. You got to tell Chris to turn the music down a little bit. I’ve got a headache."

And Texas hasn't been a benchmark program for the last decade. Before last year, they hadn't made it out of the first round of the NCAA tournament since 2014! And anyone who has watched a Texas basketball game in the last decade should know that their home atmosphere was absolutely atrocious. It's amazing what a coach and new stadium can do. . . .

Look, I know Iowa doesn't have nearly the type of money that Texas has. Iowa can't just plop a new state-of-the-art arena into Iowa City at the drop of a hat. But alot of the changes Texas made can EASILY be accomplished at Iowa: moving student sections, using student ambassadors around campus, using a DJ at every game, playing more music during timeouts and less burrito lifts.

I get a little tired of people targeting Fran as the reason the home atmosphere stinks. The product he puts out is more than enough of an excuse to have a good atmosphere. Moreover, Texas isn't a premier basketball program nor is Texas a proverbial basketball state. But the Texas Athletics Department made strong decisions that looks to turn the program into a premier program in the near future. If the Iowa Athletics department actually cares about elevating (both) basketball programs, they start with Carver.

and yet it’s the best wrestling environment in the country
And I here that point alot. Yes, the environment is great for the Penn St. and Iowa St. and Oklahoma St. meets. But is the environment really truly that electric for all of the other meets against mid-tier opponents? I genuinely don't know.

And the other easy response to the wrestling argument: the old-geezers don't have the premier seats reserved every meet. The loud fans can get the good seats.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
And I here that point alot. Yes, the environment is great for the Penn St. and Iowa St. and Oklahoma St. meets. But is the environment really truly that electric for all of the other meets against mid-tier opponents? I genuinely don't know.

And the other easy response to the wrestling argument: the old-geezers don't have the premier seats reserved every meet. The loud fans can get the good seats.
it’s rowdier for big meets of course…..and your points are valid….. I don’t disagree with seating the students lower….. long as you leave Gassers seats alone 😂 I know his wife since high school and get a kick out of them

Iowa is particularly opposing team fan and family friendly as far as seating I guess…..I don’t hate that but my point in general is there’s nothing wrong with the arena and people calling for it to be moved downtown and built in such a way it will supposedly make it a more “hostile” environment should come to a wrestling meet …… the arena is fine

Maybe us wrestling fans are just a different breed than basketball fans…..

Reactions: doughuddl2
I love going to Carver for wrestling. Great Atmosphere! Basketball complete opposite. Horrible environment.
We have plenty of money. Build a new 10,000-11,000 seat arena downtown and put the students behind the benches and surround the floor.
Get the blue hairs the hell out of there. They can knit at home!
Kudos to Texas for figuring it out!

Let us not forget this makes a difference as well.

Wrestling Home Meets at CHA

Sunday
Saturday
Sunday
Friday
Friday
Friday
Friday
Sunday
Definitely a factor, and last season Iowa had very few home games on weekends. I had season tickets as a student and skipped at least two or three games each season because I just couldn't give up 3 hours from schoolwork/studying.

Reactions: BBHawk
I'm dumb, but couldn't we do something like this with walls and curtains in the existing carver footprint?

Or move to Xtreme arena

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
I'm dumb, but couldn't we do something like this with walls and curtains in the existing carver footprint?

Or move to Xtreme arena
They lower the curtains for the women's team for the weaker games and raise them for the few big games (when they clinched the B10 against michigan last year).

Probably wouldn't do much to make the place louder. But it would make the place look more daunting. Having swathes of empty seats is not particularly imposing for B10 opponents.

This is like basic blocking and tackling or dribbling 101 ... not that difficult to pull off even if we stay in Carver. Kudos to Texas.

P.S. That sounds system they installed sounds awesome.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate

So, you choose a game against Gonzaga as your signpost and then go on to ask is Carver really that loud against mid-tier opponents. I would ask the same question about Texas. Is it a great environment when they are playing the dregs of the league or the SW Texas States of the world. My guess is probably not. Oh as for the DJ. If you win you don't need to artificially create noise.

and yet it’s the best wrestling environment in the country
This. Forget this idea about building a new arena. We have a new Wrestling facility going up that is attached to Carver. We have a relatively new basketball practice facility attached to Carver. The atmosphere at Carver is great if it is full. If you want a better basketball atmosphere at Carver, get your ass to the games. That is all it would take.

I guess I’ll never understand making the arena smaller stance. Iowa averaged 12,105 last season and for WIU last year, on a Wednesday, during a Christmas break snow storm they sold 15,056.

We already complain that the big donors occupy the best seats and sit on their hands all game. Does anyone actually believe that the hardcore fans are going to start getting more seats/better seats if they make capacity 1,000-2,000 seats below the current average?

Move the students. Move all of the fans closer to the game floor. Bring in the #2 team and beat them by 20 and I’d bet any arena in the country would be rocking like this too.

Reactions: natchrlman
This. Forget this idea about building a new arena. We have a new Wrestling facility going up that is attached to Carver. We have a relatively new basketball practice facility attached to Carver. The atmosphere at Carver is great if it is full. If you want a better basketball atmosphere at Carver, get your ass to the games. That is all it would take.
Lol. So simple! And get off my yard!!!

They could tear out the majority of seats around the upper concourse and turn them into glass suites or something? Then you move the students down around the court and upgrade the sound system and music selections. Just a thought. There's no way something like that would happen though because it would require some forward-thinking from the Athletic Department.

I guess I’ll never understand making the arena smaller stance. Iowa averaged 12,105 last season and for WIU last year, on a Wednesday, during a Christmas break snow storm they sold 15,056.

We already complain that the big donors occupy the best seats and sit on their hands all game. Does anyone actually believe that the hardcore fans are going to start getting more seats/better seats if they make capacity 1,000-2,000 seats below the current average?

Move the students. Move all of the fans closer to the game floor. Bring in the #2 team and beat them by 20 and I’d bet any arena in the country would be rocking like this too.
So you are kind of proving my point. Our average is only like 80% of our capacity (on a year when the team was highly competitive).

And it's not the non-conference bringing down our totals. We only had about 80% in attendance for both the Illinois and Purdue (ranked #6) games last year. And the students were on campus for those games.

We can't change the scheduling. At a certain point, you have to stop blaming fans and just accept the fact that you wont be able to fill 15,000 seats in Eastern Iowa in December and January anymore. Its unrealistic.

As a disclaimer: I have been attending Hawkeye basketball games for 22 Straight years. Before that 3 years as a student, but that was a long time ago and played in the field-house.

Therefore, as one who buys annual season tickets, attends games, and has contributed tens of thousands dollars to the athletic dept. over the years, God knows how much for food, drink and parking. I should be a voting member of how seating should be handled. Not fan sitting and watching from home.

I just do not understand why those who watch the games on TV seem to believe they should have the ultimate say in the matter. If you really want more noise in Carver…put your ass in a seat and yell. There are still empties seats in the arena that you can occupy.

This issue arrises every year and is not that hard to understand or correct. Dig out your checkbook And do some yelling with it if you want changes.

So you are kind of proving my point. Our average is only like 80% of our capacity (on a year when the team was highly competitive).

And it's not the non-conference bringing down our totals. We only had about 80% in attendance for both the Illinois and Purdue (ranked #6) games last year. And the students were on campus for those games.

We can't change the scheduling. At a certain point, you have to stop blaming fans and just accept the fact that you wont be able to fill 15,000 seats in Eastern Iowa in December and January anymore. Its unrealistic.

Not quite sure how I’m proving your point. Even at 80% capacity, which has been one of the lowest in the last 10 years, that is still 2,000+ more than the maximum capacity of a 10,000. In 2014 and 2015, the average attendance was over 14,000. I don’t see the university voluntarily giving up that ticket revenue without that money coming from somewhere else. The safe bet is that it would come from raising ticket prices and the lack of seating would jack up the prices on the secondary market even more. I would guess that this would hurt the average fan and even a lot of the hardcore fans. The big donors, who we currently complain about, wouldn’t be affected.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a new arena. I’m not really opposed of keeping CHA, with a few changes. I just don’t believe building a smaller arena is the way to go.

The cheapest ticket for Creighton at Texas (12–1-22 - Thursday) currently on Stubhub for two seats together is $99 for corner seats. The cheapest sideline ticket is $202 and $270-$342 for mid court. That is pretty high for a basketball game.

Don’t need a new arena. Need to do an overhaul though. As someone else mentioned, rip out the top 5-10 rows baseline to baseline. Put in a section for club seating, with higher quality seats, at mid court on one side, sections B, A, and AA. This would include a club space with food, restrooms, alcohol? exclusive to these seats. Put in suites in C and BB and M through LL on the other side. This may drop capacity down below 14k. But the missed revenue can be made up by the up charges on the suites and club seats. Offer the premium donors to move from the low seats up to the club seats to enjoy the amenities from the club, move the ones that decline to the premium seating opposite the benches. This opens up the formerly premium seating behind the benches for the first so-many students. Student overflow is still behind the baseline by the visitor’s bench.

Add glass walls behind every other section and doors at the top of each stairway. Allows fans to still see the court from the concourse while getting food, but traps in sound better. Basic premise is that the entire bowl is now walled off from the concourse. Do these changes and things will improve considerably from a noise and ambiance perspective. Students show up on tv, the blue hairs don’t have to leave early for the elevator or to make the long hike up the stairs meaning you don’t see the empty seats, and the sound level should be noticeably higher. You may even make more money in the process.

47960067961_019a7996db_z.jpg

As a disclaimer: I have been attending Hawkeye basketball games for 22 Straight years. Before that 3 years as a student, but that was a long time ago and played in the field-house.

Therefore, as one who buys annual season tickets, attends games, and has contributed tens of thousands dollars to the athletic dept. over the years, God knows how much for food, drink and parking. I should be a voting member of how seating should be handled. Not fan sitting and watching from home.

I just do not understand why those who watch the games on TV seem to believe they should have the ultimate say in the matter. If you really want more noise in Carver…put your ass in a seat and yell. There are still empties seats in the arena that you can occupy.

This issue arrises every year and is not that hard to understand or correct. Dig out your checkbook And do some yelling with it if you want changes.
Maybe because many of us are out of state but subscribe to the Big Network and donate to the I club. Which puts a lot of money in the Iowa coffers.

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
This is a silly argument. Only a handful of schools care about wrestling, so having the best atmosphere in a sport most don’t care about is not evidence that carver is a great arena for college basketball.
well you’re obviously not the real bigass turkeyleg guy too so there’s that…..

there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Carver….. it’s the crowd “evidently”

I love going to Carver for wrestling. Great Atmosphere! Basketball complete opposite. Horrible environment.
We have plenty of money. Build a new 10,000-11,000 seat arena downtown and put the students behind the benches and surround the floor.
Get the blue hairs the hell out of there. They can knit at home!
Kudos to Texas for figuring it out!
Rather offensive.

So, the new Texas stadium cost $375 million. It's located in a city with a population of close to 1 million.

In Austin TX, the whole thing probably made economic sense. Lots of opportunities to generate revenue in this situation. In Iowa City it would just be a wasteful boondoggle.

Carver was built as a multi-purpose area, rather than just a basketball arena - so it isn't perfect for basketball. But it will do.

Fill the seats with butts and it's just fine.

They lower the curtains for the women's team for the weaker games and raise them for the few big games (when they clinched the B10 against michigan last year).

Probably wouldn't do much to make the place louder. But it would make the place look more daunting. Having swathes of empty seats is not particularly imposing for B10 opponents.
No curtains this year.

More seats closer to the floor. Get rid of those wide stairs. Give those seats to students. If for fire code you need to figure out an alternative way out just figure it out. If you're really thinking of spending millions on a smaller stadium, you have plenty of money to figure it out.

Cody Goodwin said the announced attendance for the first two wrestling meets was 14.5k but actual was about 8k. When season tix are only like $85 its no big deal to sit out the less appealing duals I guess.

I'd love to see what attendance for wrestling would be if they had meets during weekdays and they cost the same as basketball tix. I'd love to see what basketball attendance would be if tix were wrestling prices, games were only on weekends, and the team was constantly top 5. Comparing the 2 is a waste of time, apples and oranges

Cody Goodwin said the announced attendance for the first two wrestling meets was 14.5k but actual was about 8k. When season tix are only like $85 its no big deal to sit out the less appealing duals I guess.

I'd love to see what attendance for wrestling would be if they had meets during weekdays and they cost the same as basketball tix. I'd love to see what basketball attendance would be if tix were wrestling prices, games were only on weekends, and the team was constantly top 5. Comparing the 2 is a waste of time, apples and oranges
Waste of time and then you do it….

I know the idea of renovating Carver has been discussed ad nauseam here, but I wanted to make a post to illustrate a practical example of what a newer/smaller stadium could do for a program.

Opened this year, the Moody Center is a public-privately funded all-purpose arena that is the new home for the Texas Basketball program. Importantly, the basketball capacity for the arena is almost 6,000 LESS than the prior stadium. The Frank Erwin Center, could hold 16,540 while the Moody Center had a sell-out against Gonzaga with about 11,000 in attendance. The Moody Center can get over 15,000 but they intentionally limit it for the basketball games.

And for those who didn't watch Texas dismantle Gonzaga, the place was ABSOLUTELY ROCKING.

Moreover, Coach Beard made the move that Fran wants so dearly: he pushed administration to allow students to sit behind the benches and both baskets. He also requested a DJ be put in the house to provide a more enjoyable atmosphere for the students (but not necessarily the old geezers). They retained student ambassadors to pass out flyers around campus and get students jazzed up and motivated to come to the games. Said the first opposing coach who had to play in the stadium: "That’s a real college arena. You can’t hear anything. You got to tell Chris to turn the music down a little bit. I’ve got a headache."

And Texas hasn't been a benchmark program for the last decade. Before last year, they hadn't made it out of the first round of the NCAA tournament since 2014! And anyone who has watched a Texas basketball game in the last decade should know that their home atmosphere was absolutely atrocious. It's amazing what a coach and new stadium can do. . . .

Look, I know Iowa doesn't have nearly the type of money that Texas has. Iowa can't just plop a new state-of-the-art arena into Iowa City at the drop of a hat. But alot of the changes Texas made can EASILY be accomplished at Iowa: moving student sections, using student ambassadors around campus, using a DJ at every game, playing more music during timeouts and less burrito lifts.

I get a little tired of people targeting Fran as the reason the home atmosphere stinks. The product he puts out is more than enough of an excuse to have a good atmosphere. Moreover, Texas isn't a premier basketball program nor is Texas a proverbial basketball state. But the Texas Athletics Department made strong decisions that looks to turn the program into a premier program in the near future. If the Iowa Athletics department actually cares about elevating (both) basketball programs, they start with Carver.
They have a DJ

Maybe because many of us are out of state but subscribe to the Big Network and donate to the I club. Which puts a lot of money in the Iowa coffers.
So then buy season tickets for a couple to represent yourself at the games. You can pound your chest from the couch yelling that's me, I'm not the problem!

N
Yes please.
More seats closer to the floor. Get rid of those wide stairs. Give those seats to students. If for fire code you need to figure out an alternative way out just figure it out. If you're really thinking of spending millions on a smaller stadium, you have plenty of money to figure it out.
Just one thing to keep in mind and that is Iowa has an “Empty Suit” for an AD. Too creative and too much work for him. Projects like the Moody Center can be achieved in Iowa City if you get the right people involved. From what I hear from longtime friends who live in Iowa City, the city council is an absolute joke so they may be an issue.

I know there are some who won’t like this, but I would like to see the old field house demolished and in its place a new arena built. Right there on campus which will result in more students attending. Also agree with getting students behind the baskets and benches.

I seriously think we just need a 8500 capacity arena to truly have an electric atmosphere. Hell, Gonzaga and GCU have around 7,000 capacity and they’re consistently regarded as having top 10 college basketball environments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT