ADVERTISEMENT

Casey’s seeks Iowa law change to allow 16- and 17-year-olds to operate dough rollers

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The dough on your Casey’s pizza could be rolled by a 16- or 17-year-old worker if a new proposal is passed into state law.

The Iowa-based gasoline and convenience store company has proposed legislation that would make it legal for 16- and 17-year-old workers to operate dough rollers. That is currently prohibited by state law, even though federal regulations permit the practice.

“We’re famous for a lot of things, but one of them is our pizza,” Tom Cope, a lobbyist for Casey’s, said during a legislative hearing on the proposal Monday at the Iowa Capitol.

Casey’s began offering pizza in the mid-1980s and since has become the fifth-largest pizza seller in the country, according to the company. Cope said many other states where Casey’s has stores, including Minnesota, Illinois and Missouri, have laws that match the federal regulation that permits 16- and 17-year-olds to operate dough rollers.

Cope said the proposal could help Casey’s — and any other business that rolls its own dough on-site — address a shortage of workers.

“Like any other employer across the state of Iowa, we’re really struggling finding employees,” he said.

Concerns were raised during the hearing that the legislative proposal does not contain the federal language that states those 16- and 17-year-olds cannot set up, adjust, repair or clean pizza dough rollers — only operate them. Cope said Casey’s would be comfortable adding that language to the bill.

The three state lawmakers on the bill’s panel — two Republicans and one Democrat — said they could support the bill with that amended language. “I think with the workforce shortage we’re having, 16- and 17-year-olds do the pizza, safely of course is important,” said Sen. Dawn Driscoll, a Republican from Williamsburg.

The proposal, Senate Study Bill 3072, advanced and is now eligible for consideration by the full Senate

It’s funny how much stuff is controlled by stupid laws. It’s got to be annoying in a way for a lot of kids that would just like to work.
I worked on my aunt and uncles farm before I could even drive and I’m pretty sure I was around a lot more dangerous stuff then a pizza roller lol
How many people do you know who were seriously injured or killed working on a farm? How about pizza rollers?

Worked at caseys in high school and the kitchen was pretty much run by kids under 18. I miss the chicken, potato wedges, and pizza bread.

Loved that they didn't take inventory. Plenty of free Busch latte back in the day. I'm sure that has changed now.

Reactions: cigaretteman
A seventeen-year-old is allowed to drive her car TO work, but can't drive a car FOR work.

How does this make any sense?

Worked at caseys in high school and the kitchen was pretty much run by kids under 18. I miss the chicken, potato wedges, and pizza bread.

Loved that they didn't take inventory. Plenty of free Busch latte back in the day. I'm sure that has changed now.
Boxes of chicken strips used to go out the back door of Dairy Queen back in the day. We used to trade food with the other fast food joints in town too. What a time to be alive. Now it costs me an arm and a leg to go to a drive thru anywhere.

I have said many times the morale of a small community directly relates to the Casey's pizza maker. Let your best player play, no need to redshirt a 16 year old if they know how to perfectly brown a crust and ratio the lettuce to cheese on a taco. Talent is talent.

Mowed lawns from the age of 13 up....pretty sure a lawn mower is more dangerous than a pizza roller.

Worked grounds keeping for the little league baseball fields 15-16....drove the tractor to grate the fields and mow the grass.

Worked at Jane Lamb hospital 16-18.....operated industrial trash compactor...pretty sure it was more dangerous than a pizza roller. Pretty disgusting to boot....had a couple of those huge trash bags burst on me....puke.

16-17 year olds working on a pizza roller seems pretty low risk...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT