ADVERTISEMENT

Capitol Notebook: Iowa teens as young as 14 could drive to work by themselves under Senate bill

So you're telling me that you can't see the economics of hiring three full time employees and paying benefits vs hiring six 14 year olds to work 20 hours a week if you're Kum and Go, Caseys, or HyVee?
The chances of that 14 year old having a fatal accident driving home at 11PM on an icy, Iowa road are probably pretty small, as long as it's not your kid.

Because at 11PM, both parents are in bed vs that kid having their folks picking them up at 9PM because they don't have a license.
You can justify Reynold's actions all you want. I'm not gullible enough to believe this legislation isn't for the sole purpose of benefitting her political donors.
Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Kum and go and Casey’s cannot hire anyone under 16 to work the counter. So in your mind apparently companies never thought to hire 6 pt workers to replace 3 ftes until a law was passed allowing 14 and 15 year olds to drive to work? Wow. Just wow.

Your last comment says it all. You don’t look at the bill and decide if it’s reasonable. You are incapable of independent thought. You think “it was passed by Kim so she is trying to get one over on us” and move forward from there trying one ridiculous straw man after another to try to justify your lack of independent thought. Like I said before, it is a trait inherent in the MAGA crowd. Insert Trump for Kim. It is actually pretty funny you aren’t able to see or understand that.

Oh, and it was my kid. Both had school permits at 14 and drove 9 miles to and from school. Crazy enough if it was really icy out we “gasp” didn’t have them drive.

When does this go into effect? Like I said my daughter has been driving to school since 14 and a half, she’s 15 now. Now she can drive herself to work this spring/summer.

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Kum and go and Casey’s cannot hire anyone under 16 to work the counter. So in your mind apparently companies never thought to hire 6 pt workers to replace 3 ftes until a law was passed allowing 14 and 15 year olds to drive to work? Wow. Just wow.

Your last comment says it all. You don’t look at the bill and decide if it’s reasonable. You are incapable of independent thought. You think “it was passed by Kim so she is trying to get one over on us” and move forward from there trying one ridiculous straw man after another to try to justify your lack of independent thought. Like I said before, it is a trait inherent in the MAGA crowd. Insert Trump for Kim. It is actually pretty funny you aren’t able to see or understand that.

Oh, and it was my kid. Both had school permits at 14 and drove 9 miles to and from school. Crazy enough if it was really icy out we “gasp” didn’t have them drive.
There has never been an Iowa Governor with this super majority that has attempted to ram so much legislation through in such a short period of time.
At least not in my lifetime.
And it's being rammed through the House AND Senate with minimal debate because they don't want voter feedback.

Exhibit A...the Senate version of the AEA bill last week was restricted to 2 hours of discussion before forcing a vote.
I know you love this form of authoritarianism.

A good description of this would be ABUSE OF POWER

There has never been an Iowa Governor with this super majority that has attempted to ram so much legislation through in such a short period of time.
At least not in my lifetime.
And it's being rammed through the House AND Senate with minimal debate because they don't want voter feedback.

Exhibit A...the Senate version of the AEA bill last week was restricted to 2 hours of discussion before forcing a vote.
I know you love this form of authoritarianism.

A good description of this would be ABUSE OF POWER

Wait, what are we talking about now? This is like talking to an emotional teenage girl.

I will let you wallow in your misery.

You guys should drive a school bus for a living, just to see the stupid shit high school drivers do going to and from school. And these drivers are legal 16+ year old drivers.

This is utter insanity, unleashing a 14 year old onto the streets/roads unsupervised.
They always have been able to with a school permit

So you're telling me that you can't see the economics of hiring three full time employees and paying benefits vs hiring six 14 year olds to work 20 hours a week if you're Kum and Go, Caseys, or HyVee?
The chances of that 14 year old having a fatal accident driving home at 11PM on an icy, Iowa road are probably pretty small, as long as it's not your kid.

Because at 11PM, both parents are in bed vs that kid having their folks picking them up at 9PM because they don't have a license.
You can justify Reynold's actions all you want. I'm not gullible enough to believe this legislation isn't for the sole purpose of benefitting her political donors.
14 year olds can’t work past 10, and if it’s icy I’m sure parents would come get them.

You guys should drive a school bus for a living, just to see the stupid shit high school drivers do going to and from school. And these drivers are legal 16+ year old drivers.

This is utter insanity, unleashing a 14 year old onto the streets/roads unsupervised.
It's already been happening for years. This really doesn't change anything

Yes, I was an hour off. But if I'm reading the proposal, they can work until 10PM but drive for another hour past that?
If they have shitty Parents, they were driving from school events anyway that late. Why do you hate freedom

This. My 14 year old has all his 15 year old buddies that just drive them around all the time all over West Des Moines. There is always a school function somewhere.
Sounds to me like some great parenting.

“Yeah go hang out with those kids that are breaking the law and leave me alone already so I can check out GIA”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT