ADVERTISEMENT

Casey's will buy Bucky's for $580 million

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Omaha-based Bucky’s Convenience Stores is being purchased by one of its competitors, Casey’s General Stores.
The $580 million cash purchase of Buchanan Energy was announced Monday. The price includes tax benefits valued at $80 million.
Buchanan Energy operates 94 stores and 79 dealer locations in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas.

Casey’s operates about 2,200 locations in 16 states and describes itself as the nation’s fourth-largest convenience store chain. Casey’s is also acquiring the real estate Bucky’s had planned to use for future expansion.
The acquisition will bring Casey’s to about 2,300 stores.

For the consumer, it means that Casey’s pizza will become available at Bucky’s. The popular pizza has made Casey’s the nation’s fifth-largest pizza chain, according to the company.

Over the next few years the names of Bucky’s stores will change to Casey’s, said Katie Petru, a spokeswoman for Casey’s. It’s not clear how the purchase will affect personnel. Petru said Casey’s is assessing how to best combine the two companies. Casey’s said in its statement Monday that the company expects to achieve $23 million in “annual synergies” by the third year.

Casey’s said the purchase puts the company in a good position for future growth and will allow it to better leverage its size for fuel purchases.

Buchanan Energy was founded 40 years ago.
Steve Buchanan, founder and president of Buchanan, said he was pleased that the company found a home with a top convenience store chain.
“Our shared Midwestern roots and community values are aligned as we continue to serve our loyal customers,” he said in the statement.
The sale is expected to be finalized by the end of the year.

Was on a business trip to Texas. The project manager insisted we stop at Bucky’s. He said they had everything. Thankfully he was outvoted

5th largest pizza chain? I had no idea. Must have been made possible from my mad za making skills on E.P True PKWY in my HS years in the early 90's. Miss the fried chicken, garlic bread and pizza boats. Better than the shit subs, burgers and tenderloins they serve these days.

Was on a business trip to Texas. The project manager insisted we stop at Bucky’s. He said they had everything. Thankfully he was outvoted
Are you talking about Bucky's or Buc-ee's. The Texas stores are Buc-ee's. I think that's a different group than Bucky's.

5th largest pizza chain? I had no idea. Must have been made possible from my mad za making skills on E.P True PKWY in my HS years in the early 90's. Miss the fried chicken, garlic bread and pizza boats. Better than the shit subs, burgers and tenderloins they serve these days.

Did they used to make mini tacos?

Are you talking about Bucky's or Buc-ee's. The Texas stores are Buc-ee's. I think that's a different group than Bucky's.

Well that’s dumb. Which was in known for their merchandise?

You might be thinking of Buc-ee’s. That’s the chain of gas stations the size of small Wal-Marts.
Yeah, I think so. Those used to only be in Texas, now they've expanded into Alabama as well. There are plans to expand into Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. They're actually pretty awesome in a redneck, roadside attraction kind of way. And there food is actually pretty decent.

I've never been in a Caseys; first heard of them in an article in an investment magazine in mid 2015. It's been a good performer.

Casey's is at war with Kwik Star in Easter IA.

I have to admit. I like Urge Taco chips. Their hot food is worse than Casey's though.

Did they used to make mini tacos?

Not in my day but I wouldn't know if they did in the late 90's. After two years of all the free pizza, chicken and donuts I wanted it kept me from stepping foot back in a Casey's for many years following my employment.

Fantastic HS job tho. We had 2-3 HS kids running the place on a Saturday night. With a lackluster inventory system it made getting beer an easy thing which makes one rather popular rather quickly.

I prefer Kwik Star for everything but pizza. Milk onions bananas bread potatoes and many other things are cheaper at Kwik Star vs HyVee or Fareway.

both are better because of the competition.

I use both their apps for free stuff and discounts.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
I prefer Kwik Star for everything but pizza. Milk onions bananas bread potatoes and many other things are cheaper at Kwik Star vs HyVee or Fareway.

both are better because of the competition.

I use both their apps for free stuff and discounts.

I have a card for Kwik Star. Casey's makes you use the app for everything now. I still have my old Hy-Vee Fuel Saver though and it still works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT