ADVERTISEMENT

CBSSports.com: Is Kirk Ferentz in trouble?

Is it just me or does Barta sound like a little boy making excuses? I just don't get the feeling that he's willing to own this problem.

Reactions: MadDogC
Should he be. Yes. Is He? No.
Is it just me or does Barta sound like a little boy making excuses? I just don't get the feeling that he's willing to own this problem.

You'll be waiting a long time for anyone in the UI athletic dept. to take accountability for anything.

Reactions: John Lydon
"To be fair, crowds have dropped at many schools across the country. Iowa still ranked 22nd nationally in attendance last season, right around where the Hawkeyes have been situated for the past decade."

would not have guessed that...

"To be fair, crowds have dropped at many schools across the country. Iowa still ranked 22nd nationally in attendance last season, right around where the Hawkeyes have been situated for the past decade."

Yah, well, that was last year...see what he says next year after this year...and the "its happening everywhere" alibi is stale--it's a little different in a state like Iowa where this is the only game in town in autumn...

There's no one on the schedule that will bring enough fans to Kinnick to pick up any of the slack as far as the individual game tix. We could always depend on Nebby or Wisky in past seasons, but not in 2015. If Iowa doesn't sweep the first four games this year... scalpers won't be able to give away tix in November.

Barta might have had his best year on the field in over 10 years. Contributions at Iowa are at a all time high. Facility upgrades. Graduation rates are tops in the nation. Field Hockey scandal won't hurt him either when it is all said and done. I think his resume to fire him might be tougher than most think.
2014-15 B1G Standings
Men's BB - 3rd
Football - 4th
WBB - 2nd
Baseball - 2nd
Wrestling -1st
Men's Track and Field - 3rd

Barta might have had his best year on the field in over 10 years. Contributions at Iowa are at a all time high. Facility upgrades. Graduation rates are tops in the nation. Field Hockey scandal won't hurt him either when it is all said and done. I think his resume to fire him might be tougher than most think.
2014-15 B1G Standings
Men's BB - 3rd
Football - 4th
WBB - 2nd
Baseball - 2nd
Wrestling -1st

I thought this was about Kirk, not Barta?

2014-15 B1G Standings
Men's BB - 3rd
Football - 4th
WBB - 2nd
Baseball - 2nd
Wrestling -1st

We'll have to agree to disagree on Barta and the Field Hockey issue. It'll take 2 years of 3 or less wins for KF to be in trouble with Barta in charge.

How can Barta say one person is saying they're done buying season tickets and 500 more are asking where to sign up yet season ticket sales are declining.

original.jpg

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

2014-15 B1G Standings
Men's BB - 3rd (And a tourney berth....Unacceptable. Should've won the conference. Fire Barta.)
Football - 4th (In the division....unacceptable. Should've won the conference. Fire him.)
WBB - 2nd (Unacceptable. Should've won the conference. Fire him.)
Baseball - 2nd (Doesn't matter that Iowa baseball was practically irrelevant for going on two decades before this year. Should've won the conference. Unacceptable. Fire him.)
Wrestling -1st (Ties don't count. Just ask the angry football fans who hate that Kirk never got Iowa to the Rose Bowl, and did a poor job of willing the bowl selection committee to pass on Iowa until they were sent to the Rose Bowl in 2002. Besides, Brands once again missed on a chance to win the national title. Unacceptable. Fire him.)
Men's Track and Field - 3rd (Even though nobody cares......unacceptable. Fire him.)

So why did I repeat myself so much?..............Because there is a growing number of our fans that are saying exactly that for just about every major sport at Iowa. If we're not winning conference championships, fire the athletic director and bring one in that will help us win. Just like the pros do.

And it's funny because it's true (that these people say this stuff). Deal with it.

I for one am happy with Barta. Yes, he screwed up KF'S contract, but he hired Fran and Heller and made the facility commitments happen in all 3 of those sports.

Not to mention having to deal with the feminazi brigade. Whether he fired the field hockey coach justly or not, the leftists made it about their cause, not reality. (Par for the course for moron liberals )

That alone is enough for me to support him or at least give him a pass.

Reactions: hawkeyesports92
I for one am happy with Barta. Yes, he screwed up KF'S contract, but he hired Fran and Heller and made the facility commitments happen in all 3 of those sports.

Not to mention having to deal with the feminazi brigade. Whether he fired the field hockey coach justly or not, the leftists made it about their cause, not reality. (Par for the course for moron liberals )

That alone is enough for me to support him or at least give him a pass.

When it comes to the hirings by Barta. Yes he helped bring in Fran and remember he assembled a 5 person panel in helping search for candidates, Bobby Hansen being one on it. But he was also the man responsible for bringing the worst Iowa bball coach ever in Lickliter.

When it comes to the hirings by Barta. Yes he helped bring in Fran and remember he assembled a 5 person panel in helping search for candidates, Bobby Hansen being one on it. But he was also the man responsible for bringing the worst Iowa bball coach ever in Lickliter.

Yep, he totally screwed the pooch with Lick. But Fran's looking more like a ground-rule-double than a home-run hire right now. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but Iowa basketball is right about where we were in the second half of the Tom Davis era. Not bad, but not great either.

, but Iowa basketball is right about where we were in the second half of the Tom Davis era. Not bad, but not great either.
That is nonsense. From where Iowa was, Fran has done about as good of a job as could be reasonably expected.

The results have improved each year. His incoming recruiting class is excellent. All this while playing in arguably the best B1G BB era one can recall.

Fran is knee deep in Chicago now. That in and of itself is a tremendous feat worthy of high praise.

He is consistently in on some of the top recruits in the country and has been very close on several. This will pay huge dividends in the coming years.

Too many chicken little, negative and unrealistic people today

Should he be. Yes. Is He? No.

You'll be waiting a long time for anyone in the UI athletic dept. to take accountability for anything.
I agree he should be as his past 5 years resume shows that he that the only category he leads the Big Ten in (by a wide margin) is players leaving the program. Lets be realistic the program is on the decline and I see no indication that will change during the remaining years on his contract an extension of it should be out of the question.

These "facts" get in the way of most posters on here. It is comical how a talking hairdo will say something on a blog or in a article and the sky-is-falling crowd says AMEN. It is much easier to believe gossip or random thoughts than FACTS. Gotta love Iowa sports

Yep, he totally screwed the pooch with Lick. But Fran's looking more like a ground-rule-double than a home-run hire right now. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but Iowa basketball is right about where we were in the second half of the Tom Davis era. Not bad, but not great either.
Lick was a train wreck for sure. But he was a very successful coach at Butler for years. He was coming off the National Coach of the Year Award....pretty big deal. It was like recruiting a kid from a Nike Combine based on how he looked in shorts. Lick was coming in a 4 star and flamed out pretty quickly. Swing and miss...it happens.

Who hired FXL and Bob Commings as football coaches. We should have fired Bump before he had chance to hire Haysen???
Name me an AD who hasn't made a mistake in hiring a coach. It happens and Lickliter was coming off national coach of year when hired

Yah, well, that was last year...see what he says next year after this year...and the "its happening everywhere" alibi is stale--it's a little different in a state like Iowa where this is the only game in town in autumn...
I think the folks at ISU and UNI might dispute this with you. Nebbie or Minnie would be better examples for Saturdays.

These "facts" get in the way of most posters on here. It is comical how a talking hairdo will say something on a blog or in a article and the sky-is-falling crowd says AMEN. It is much easier to believe gossip or random thoughts than FACTS. Gotta love Iowa sports
You are an idiot. Attendance is only declining at Iowa due to the coach and tailgating fiasco. Only a moron would compare Iowa to other teams across the country. Iowa is the only show in town db.

It continues to be inaccurate to say things like, "the last 5 years". 2010 was a good if disappointing season. You can't expect 2009 every year.

It was established long ago that Cocoem is an idiot.My sense is he's a plant by the athletic department as an article not long ago mentioned schools pay people to exude all positive and try diminishing the negative.
I am surprised you can spell idiot. Yep that is right! You are on to me! If you would take some of those precious moments you spend bitching about Iowa athletics and do a little research you might enlighten yourself some. Iowa and their ticket sales are down...yep, but right with the national average. But having facts to back up your important thoughts is something that would not make your "stories" so exciting. You and your Lackies keep up the fervor. KF is either going to retire or be fired within the next couple of years...IMO. You will take credit for it. I am guessing you will pick apart who ever comes in next...that is what you do. You think you are a smarter football guy than the ones that do it. It is the chic thing to do at work....spew your agenda around the lunch table and all your never-was buddies that you have bob their heads. It is not KF or Iowa Football that makes you this way. It is your inability to accept the fact that you football knowledge and experiences were cut short by your lack of talent. Keep thinking you know more about scheme, scouting, play calling, recruiting, practice plans, weight training...ect. You make it incredibly entertaining. Sorry gotta go and pick up my check from the University.....cash money homey!!!

All I know is that Kirk landed in the best situation anyone could ever hope for. Only in Iowa. Anyone who is happy with the last 5 years of Iowa football doesn't care about wins and losses or competing whatsoever.

All I know is that Kirk landed in the best situation anyone could ever hope for. Only in Iowa. Anyone who is happy with the last 5 years of Iowa football doesn't care about wins and losses or competing whatsoever.
I don't know anyone that is happy with the last five years, even Kirk Ferentz supporters.

I was happy with 2010. We did under achieve but there were a lot of good, even great, games. But not happy since then.

Iowa's downturn coincides with Ferentz signing his lifetime contract, so I can't help thinking it's a factor. Not a lot of incentive to take it up a notch instead of pad the nest and hope for the best.

I was happy with 2010. We did under achieve but there were a lot of good, even great, games. But not happy since then.

You were happy that a team with national championship-level talent went 7-5?

Did you recently suffer a significant brain injury?

No incentive?! LOL. I'll bet you are one that bitched about him hiring his son so he could be named the next coach. Fat chance that that will happen unless KF steps it up and starts winning. You don't think that's an incentive for KF more than money? Hell he's already made more money that he will be able to spend.

Iowa's downturn coincides with Ferentz signing his lifetime contract, so I can't help thinking it's a factor. Not a lot of incentive to take it up a notch instead of pad the nest and hope for the best.

No incentive?! LOL. I'll bet you are one that bitched about him hiring his son so he could be named the next coach. Fat chance that that will happen unless KF steps it up and starts winning. You don't think that's an incentive for KF more than money? Hell he's already made more money that he will be able to spend.

LOL, no one with half a brain ever though that Brian had a chance in hell of ever being HC here.

He's not even a good line coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT