ADVERTISEMENT

CC would give Olympic Women's Hoops Massive Ratings

I'm sure they are well aware of this which is why her name is even in the mix. No other player who had never set foot on a professional floor would be considered for the Olympic team in today's circumstances.

The biggest factor here and in the WNBA is how much of a green light is her new coach going to give her? She had a lot of turnovers. She was #1 in assists, but was 83rd in assist/turnover ratio. She was #1 in scoring but 133rd in FG%. It'll be interesting to see how much freedom she's given.

The biggest factor here and in the WNBA is how much of a green light is her new coach going to give her? She had a lot of turnovers. She was #1 in assists, but was 83rd in assist/turnover ratio. She was #1 in scoring but 133rd in FG%. It'll be interesting to see how much freedom she's given.
If you buy a Lambo, you need to drive it fast.

I've heard several takes on this and they're all pretty much the same.

It's purely for marketing purposes, if for nothing more, than to get eyeballs on US women's basketball during the Olympics (as they've never really gotten the attention before, and this despite having won Gold in the last 7 straight Olympics, and are expected to win it again, easily, this year as well.)

And of course, there's the talk of the jealousy of her getting a spot, and the pettiness of her being treated like just a sideshow attraction for ratings, but the positives far outweigh the bitterness fans and women's players may have towards her being on the team.

Reactions: Bruceman44
And frankly those numbers are totally meaningless. Most of the higher shooting % players play 4 ft from the basket. Think MC leading the country 2 years in a row in shooting %. Meanwhile the distance Clark shoots from destroys most defenses, and opens the floor so much that her team mates get MUCH better looks, hence they all have higher % then they would have. See MC as a case in point. On top of all that Clark has a 61% effective scoring % based on the addition of the number of three's and free throws she converts. When looking all other players in the country with a usage rate over 30% the second highest adjusted field goal % was 51%. So she's is miles ahead of any other player in the nation who carries such a large part of her teams offensive load. To a degree the same thing applies to her assist/ TO ranking. If she only threw easy passes her rate would be fine. Its her ability to create space with the over the top passes that seperates her. And frankly any coach in the league will see that with better athletes to catch and actually FINISH those plays her ratio should be much improved.

And frankly those numbers are totally meaningless. Most of the higher shooting % players play 4 ft from the basket. Think MC leading the country 2 years in a row in shooting %. Meanwhile the distance Clark shoots from destroys most defenses, and opens the floor so much that her team mates get MUCH better looks, hence they all have higher % then they would have. See MC as a case in point. On top of all that Clark has a 61% effective scoring % based on the addition of the number of three's and free throws she converts. When looking all other players in the country with a usage rate over 30% the second highest adjusted field goal % was 51%. So she's is miles ahead of any other player in the nation who carries such a large part of her teams offensive load. To a degree the same thing applies to her assist/ TO ranking. If she only threw easy passes her rate would be fine. Its her ability to create space with the over the top passes that seperates her. And frankly any coach in the league will see that with better athletes to catch and actually FINISH those plays her ratio should be much improved.
Fair enough except the TOs. Some of her passes were pretty wild, a little looser than some coaches would like. (Imagine KFz being her HC!) As for better athletes catching them she’s also going to have better defenders in the way.

It will be interesting to see how she translates. I have no idea what Indiana’s offense looked like before.

Reactions: RayRay3454
Fair enough except the TOs. Some of her passes were pretty wild, a little looser than some coaches would like. (Imagine KFz being her HC!) As for better athletes catching them she’s also going to have better defenders in the way.

It will be interesting to see how she translates. I have no idea what Indiana’s offense looked like before.
To some degree on the TO's but still alot of balls fumbled away, and she could have several more assists/gm, (which is crazy givin the margin she led the nation by) which would change the percentages. Its just really hard to measure Clarks game against anyone else in college because both her shooting and passing are at a different level from what anyone else even attempts. The one thing we do know (which relates to your original thought) when they interviewed the Fever's head coach. They asked her pretty much your question about would she have to reign in the way Clark plays, and she said basically, "hell no" Were not going to bring in an extrordinary talent and then tell her not to play like herself. I'd add that "the load" on her to carry the offense won't be nearly as big given the other proven scorers on the team, which should increase her efficiency..

To some degree on the TO's but still alot of balls fumbled away, and she could have several more assists/gm, (which is crazy givin the margin she led the nation by) which would change the percentages. Its just really hard to measure Clarks game against anyone else in college because both her shooting and passing are at a different level from what anyone else even attempts. The one thing we do know (which relates to your original thought) when they interviewed the Fever's head coach. They asked her pretty much your question about would she have to reign in the way Clark plays, and she said basically, "hell no" Were not going to bring in an extrordinary talent and then tell her not to play like herself.
I really believe she is going to rip shit up. I was watching some highlights of Ionescu and she is a hell of a shooter, maybe better than Clark, but to me she doesn’t have the same speed and passing vision. Cannot wait to see it all play out.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I really believe she is going to rip shit up. I was watching some highlights of Ionescu and she is a hell of a shooter, maybe better than Clark, but to me she doesn’t have the same speed and passing vision. Cannot wait to see it all play out.
It'll be interesting to see how much it elevates the entire team. Once other players know the ball is coming their way, they'll love her.

Clark forced a lot of passes because she was trying to keep her teammates involved instead of standing around. She shouldn’t have to do that in the WNBA. And, as mentioned, they will be much better at finishing.

Clark forced a lot of passes because she was trying to keep her teammates involved instead of standing around. She shouldn’t have to do that in the WNBA. And, as mentioned, they will be much better at finishing.
Another thing that people overlook. While she'll play against better defenders to some degree, (remember she always drew the best defender, or defenders), her team mates will have to be guarded better as well. She won't draw many box and ones, and Triangle and 2's because they can't just leave her team mates unattended. I actually think the floor will be even more open for her, which will be a dangerous situation for opponents given her vision, skills and Basketball IQ.....

But even you must admit that if they caught the ball and made the layup she would have 20 assists per game. AOG has bad hands, as did the center that started the season at 5

It would be interesting to know how many hockey assists she had as well. Better, bigger, stronger, quicker defenders may cause her some issues scoring initially, but I think her passing will be amazing from the jump.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
But even you must admit that if they caught the ball and made the layup she would have 20 assists per game. AOG has bad hands, as did the center that started the season at 5
I hear what you guys are saying but they weren't all perfect passes that were "drops". Come on.

I hear what you guys are saying but they weren't all perfect passes that were "drops". Come on.
I’m not here to kill her teammates but there were a lot of fumbled passes that will convert in the wnba. She probably would have hundreds of additional assists over 4 years had the recipients been UConn/sc players.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I’m not here to kill her teammates but there were a lot of fumbled passes that will convert in the wnba. She probably would have hundreds of additional assists over 4 years had the recipients been UConn/sc players.
Hundreds... Ok, now you're just being silly. Put down the koolaid

ANYWAY...it'll be fun to watch her at the next level.

Hundreds... Ok, now you're just being silly. Put down the koolaid

ANYWAY...it'll be fun to watch her at the next level.
Looking back, I forgot how many fewer games were played due to Covid. 109 games in the past 4 years. 2 fumbled!cked passes per game is 218, which is hundreds. Maybe 100 because of fewer games. In any event, I would say she had many more sweet passes go unconverted than improvident turnovers, by a country mile.

Looking back, I forgot how many fewer games were played due to Covid. 109 games in the past 4 years. 2 fumbled!cked passes per game is 218, which is hundreds. Maybe 100 because of fewer games. In any event, I would say she had many more sweet passes go unconverted than improvident turnovers, by a country mile.
Clark played in around 140 career games, and missed around 8 I believe from Covid..

Clark played in around 140 career games, and missed around 8 I believe from Covid..
I’m not sure what I was looking at! Just further makes my point. Sure seems like to me there was more than one unconverted layup or bunny per game after she found someone on a fast break or no look pass.*

*edited to note I was only counting wins and ignored the losses.

Last edited:
Opposing WNBA coaches game plan for CC: get physical. Every rookie gets that treatment, hyped rookies get targeted.

I will be interested to see how much the officials allow and how often Clark shoots FTs. As other WNBA vets have noted, she will need to adjust to a more physical style. I have no doubt she will but it won’t be automatic or easy.

The whole country is captivated by CC. If she is on the USA team, the ratings would set records.

My wife thought a CC Logo 3 shoe for girls 6-15 would take off. What Mom is not going to buy that for their daughter?
Pro's- it's late July / early August so kids will be out of school.

Con's- start times/tv channels. An 8 CST game wouldn't start until 2 a.m.

I think CC will be an add to the team. USAWBB would be foolish not to and catty players be damned, there would be a bucketful of money to be had for all the players.

Opposing WNBA coaches game plan for CC: get physical. Every rookie gets that treatment, hyped rookies get targeted.

I will be interested to see how much the officials allow and how often Clark shoots FTs. As other WNBA vets have noted, she will need to adjust to a more physical style. I have no doubt she will but it won’t be automatic or easy.
I keep hearing that, but its hard to believe that they could be more physical that what many teams tried to do to her the last year or so in college. Any more physical and it would just be freakin rugby. I'm also not convinced that the "grown women " thing that some are throwing out is going to be that big a deal either. Clark played in a solid conference and played probably 15 games this year counting the tournaments against top 20 teams. College women as seniors and juniors are 23-24 years old. In their prime athletically. Certainly more then some of the 35-40 year old gals like Taurasi (41 years old) still hanging around in the league, acting like she's going to school Clark. I'd bet by nid season its Clark who will be doing the schooling......

I keep hearing that, but its hard to believe that they could be more physical that what many teams tried to do to her the last year or so in college. Any more physical and it would just be freakin rugby. I'm also not convinced that the "grown women " thing that some are throwing out is going to be that big a deal either. Clark played in a solid conference and played probably 15 games this year counting the tournaments against top 20 teams. College women as seniors and juniors are 23-24 years old. In their prime athletically. Certainly more then some of the 35-40 year old gals like Taurasi (41 years old) still hanging around in the league, acting like she's going to school Clark. I'd bet by nid season its Clark who will be doing the schooling......
You have to drive a lot to get to the foul line. Every team has big shot blockers in the middle.
The biggest question mark is if she can play any defense. I think she will have a difficult time staying with quicker girls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT