ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids man accused of leaving Iowa City bar to break into his date's car

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
AR-171019900.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=798

There are bad dates and then there’s, “My date left to go break into my car and bled all over my seats.”

Iowa City police said that’s what happened last month in downtown Iowa City.

According to a criminal complaint, on the evening of Sept. 23, 35-year-old George D. Morris was on a date with the victim. Police said Morris left the bar where the date was taking place and went to the Dubuque Street parking ramp where the victim had left her car.

Police said Morris used a rock to break a rear passenger window and unlock the back door. Morris proceeded to grab his bag, as well as the victim’s makeup case, $20 from the victim’s wallet and her cellphone, police said.

Authorities said Morris cut himself while breaking the window and bled throughout the interior and on the exterior of the car.

As this was taking place, police said the victim noticed Morris had left and went to her vehicle to check on him. Police said as she was approaching the ramp, Morris was leaving with his bag and something in his hand. When the victim yelled at Morris, he fled on foot, police said.

Morris has been arrested and faces one count of third-degree burglary, an aggravated misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...city-bar-to-break-into-his-dates-car-20171012

Reactions: dgordo
Wait, it's illegal to leave Iowa City bars? I know I didn't do it all that often, but I didn't know I could get charged for it.

So she was on a date but decided to leave her wallet and cell phone in her car?

Why in addition to stealing her cell phone and $20 would he also take her make-up bag?

Also, Morris brought his bag with him on the date but left it in her car? Why did she pick him up vs. meeting him there or why wasn't he the one who drove them? And why did he bring a bag with him on his date?

Finally, it says she noticed after a while that he was missing and so she went to her car to look for him. How long was he gone before she noticed something was wrong? Why did she go to her car to look for him assuming he would be there?

Why in addition to stealing her cell phone and $20 would he also take her make-up bag?

Also, Morris brought his bag with him on the date but left it in her car? Why did she pick him up vs. meeting him there or why wasn't he the one who drove them? And why did he bring a bag with him on his date?

Finally, it says she noticed after a while that he was missing and so she went to her car to look for him. How long was he gone before she noticed something was wrong? Why did she go to her car to look for him assuming he would be there?

Inquiring minds want to know!

The guy sounds like a loser and he was up to no good but it also seems like it's possible that she's not quite such the innocent victim as it sounds. Wondering if drugs or some other illegal activity might be involved.

I can get good money on eBay for makeup, and I was coming straight from the gym.

Edit: this guy can, and probably was coming from the gym... just guessing.

Sounds like @hawkbleeder was trying to solve his money problems.
What is this? Oh, a thread from 15 years ago discussing mortgages. You extrapolated that from that huh big fella? Hmm. You dealing with bankruptcy or homelessness? Am I not allowed to talk about mortgages or something? lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT