ADVERTISEMENT

Woman seriously injured in shooting outside H-Bar in Iowa City

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
IOWA CITY — A woman was seriously injured by multiple gunshots in an alley outside an Iowa City bar early Sunday, according to an Iowa City Police Department news release.

At 2:24 a.m., police responded to the H-Bar, at 220 S. Van Buren St., for a report of multiple shots fired and found the woman in the adjacent alley with multiple gunshot wounds.

Investigating officers determined multiple people were in the alley when the shots were fired, the release stated.

Advertisement

The woman was treated on scene by emergency medical responders and transported to a hospital for serious injuries.

A Hawk Alert went out within minutes of the incident to advise the University of Iowa community to avoid the area and inform them that the shooter was still at large. A follow-up message said the incident appeared to be isolated.

H-Bar and alley as captured by Google Maps Street View cameras in November 2021

Iowa City police said the suspected shooter was last seen fleeing the area in a vehicle, but intentionally offered no additional information about the incident, shooter, vehicle description, victim’s identity or condition.

The Iowa City Police Department is investigating and asking the public for assistance by sharing any related information or security camera footage. Information can be communicated directly with the police department by calling 319-356-5275.

Also, Iowa City Area Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information that leads to an arrest in the incident.

Crime Stoppers tips can be submitted via the P3 Tips app, online at iccrimestoppers.org, or by phone at 319-358-TIPS (8477). People providing information are not required to reveal their identity to collect a reward, according to the release.

I really didn’t like that Hawk Alert wake up call this morning. And, I didn’t need a reminder to stay away from that dump at 2 am.

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. I think I've been at l and m once in my 41 years in Iowa city.
Look, we didn’t believe you when you posted that you didn’t know where the skank hole hookah bar was at. Don’t pretend you don’t cut into the L&M a few times a week. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: IACub and GOHOX69
Lulz. Remind us of which gated suburb of Des Moines that you live in? IC is fine. Just don’t hang out at crappy bars at 2 am. There is plenty of wholesome, culturally stimulating entertainment to be found in IC.
Never been to that bar but it’s kind of odd it’s so rough in that location.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The IC cops need to have an officer watching that alley from 12-4 AM. That’s where the serious problems are happening. They really can’t allow it to continue to escalate.
And, that hookah bar better take some responsibility or their license should be in jeopardy.
Iowa City has done that to problem bars before.

I looked this place on Yelp. It's an "unclaimed" Hookah Bar. Time to slam them with a few 1 star reviews?

The IC cops need to have an officer watching that alley from 12-4 AM. That’s where the serious problems are happening. They really can’t allow it to continue to escalate.
And, that hookah bar better take some responsibility or their license should be in jeopardy.
The state liquor commission almost always rescinds local liquor license revocations. They continually put bringing in tax dollars above human life. See Shenanigans, The Chorus Line and about a half-dozen other shady bars where stabbings and shootings were regular occurrences in Davenport. City would revoke license, skeevy bar owners appeal to Des Moines, liquor commission overrules city. Rinse and repeat 😡

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GOHOX69

The place is a borderline strip club half the time. The videos of their "twerk competitions" are interesting - I didn't know they made thongs out of dental floss. I can't believe it has made it as long as it has.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
The state liquor commission almost always rescinds local liquor license revocations. They continually put bringing in tax dollars above human life. See Shenanigans, The Chorus Line and about a half-dozen other shady bars where stabbings and shootings were regular occurrences in Davenport. City would revoke license, skeevy bar owners appeal to Des Moines, liquor commission overrules city. Rinse and repeat 😡
super-troopers-ohh.gif

Reactions: IACub
Go check out the Google reviews. The owner responds to all the negative reviews about the shootings. Must be using the Kirk Ferentz PR firm. Responds with things like there have only been 2 shootings, not a big deal, it's just random stuff that happens to occur in the alley and has nothing to do with our business. Etc.

Iowa City has shut down several bars with their own local regulations in the past.
They shut down Vitos, The Que (or whatever it was called at the time), and the place out by the old Pizza Hut on Keokuk St.

Iowa City has shut down several bars with their own local regulations in the past.
They shut down Vitos, The Que (or whatever it was called at the time), and the place out by the old Pizza Hut on Keokuk St.
Well they must have more clout in Des Moines then, because it seems like whenever Davenport tries, they get overruled.

The place is a borderline strip club half the time. The videos of their "twerk competitions" are interesting - I didn't know they made thongs out of dental floss. I can't believe it has made it as long as it has.
I threw up a little in my mouth.

Well they must have more clout in Des Moines then, because it seems like whenever Davenport tries, they get overruled.

Was it Maxies? That used to be on Keokuk street ancient times ago.

Reactions: Ree4
I'm pretty sure they don't serve liquor at this place right? So no liquor license. So they'll have to figure out another way to close them down?

Go check out the Google reviews. The owner responds to all the negative reviews about the shootings. Must be using the Kirk Ferentz PR firm. Responds with things like there have only been 2 shootings, not a big deal, it's just random stuff that happens to occur in the alley and has nothing to do with our business. Etc.
I’m sure it has nothing to do with the cockroaches he’s attracting from all over town…

It's a good point that I forgot. They don't have a liquor license. They allow people to bring in their own alcohol.
So, with no liquor license, they also stay open to ~4 AM. Everyone ends up hanging out in the alley next to the business and then fights break out and people are getting shot, and now killed.

It's a good point that I forgot. They don't have a liquor license. They allow people to bring in their own alcohol.
So, with no liquor license, they also stay open to ~4 AM. Everyone ends up hanging out in the alley next to the business and then fights break out and people are getting shot, and now killed.
Sounds like my kind of place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT